Husqvarna 50 big-bore upgrade question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Dad should be happy! Nice looking saw for it's age.

Thanks, I think he will. I could tell he sounded pretty disappointed earlier this year when it went down on him. I think he will be suprised if it will run a 18'' well.

I noticed you have a Husky 266SE, what do you think about those? I saw one on e-bay recently that looked great and thought real hard about it.

well mines a lil tired iron atm ( awating a new piston ring) id pounce on it, there a really good, hearty saw at around 4.5 hp!

Thanks, I think he will. I could tell he sounded pretty disappointed earlier this year when it went down on him. I think he will be suprised if it will run a 18'' well.

I run a 18' .325 full chisel on mine and I feel it does great with it.

I thought the saw ran and sounded fine cutting up that locust today. A 16" or 18" would be fine, but probably hard to change an older fellers mind after 23 years of running it one way. By the way, I dug out that fuel cap and it looks good to go. I'll get it to you Tuesday.

I thought the saw ran and sounded fine cutting up that locust today. A 16" or 18" would be fine, but probably hard to change an older fellers mind after 23 years of running it one way. By the way, I dug out that fuel cap and it looks good to go. I'll get it to you Tuesday.

Thanks Gizzard. I plan to cut some tomorrow and see how the carb. adjustment helped it. I think it will pull a 18 fine and if Dad wants faster he could use the narrow kerf. If the husqvarna 49 will pull it well, I am sure his 50 will too.

I think that would clear on the Partner without any trouble.

Looking back at your picture, I think it would be very close but it will probably clear. I ordered a de-comp with the kit but it was on backorder. I think it pulls fine without it but with Dad's elbow trouble he might like it. It is going to be a very close fit behind the top handle and there might not be enough room. We'll see next week.

Cut some wood today. Started off easy on a small poplar to get the saw warmed up. With a 16" bar and .325 full chisel chain, the 10" poplar was loading the saw up a little as the engine was cold and wood fairly frozen (about 35 degrees here today). As the saw warmed up (about half a tank of gas) I began to notice it pick up a little power. I hit a dead and well seasoned mullbery next for some ready-to-burn-firewood and it cut well. I think as things get seated in it is only going to improve. So far, no complaints on the NWP kit and at almost 1\2 the price of OEM top end, I consider it a great deal to put new life in an old saw.

Last edited:
Do you still have the old top end?? was it scratched or was there aluminum transfer (galling)? you might have been able to save the old cyl if it was just galling with a little muriatic acid.

Do you still have the old top end?? was it scratched or was there aluminum transfer (galling)? you might have been able to save the old cyl if it was just galling with a little muriatic acid.

I tried the muratic acid and 320 grit paper. Transferred AL cleaned up nicely only to reveal significant cylinder scouring. Old top end is toast.

he sounded pretty disappointed earlier this year when it went down on him.

Axlerod, 1st wanna thank you for all the info on this thread. My father recently gave up on his '88 grey top 50 and bought a 435. He doesn't burn much wood anymore and gave the saw to me. After a few new parts (b/c, carb kit, pressure seal, fuel/air filters, plug...), I've discovered it has low compression, about 100psi. I'm researching these kits that you installed and wondered if there was a chance you could restore the lost images? I'd rather stay OE 44mm, but can't seem to find a reasonable kit.
TIA

Husqvarna 50 002.JPG Husqvarna 50 005.JPG

This is a NWP kit I bought from Baileys. It is a good kit however, I would use an OEM ring. The one in the kit had a fine groove around the ring. Seems to work fine but I would use the other. This kit came drilled and threaded for a de-comp. On the 50 th de-comp will interfere wth the handle and I was not able to use it

Attachments

• Husqvarna 50 015.JPG
    Husqvarna 50 015.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Husqvarna 50 009.JPG
    Husqvarna 50 009.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 52
I think OEM is the only 44mm kit available but notsure. The switch to the 46mm was a no brainer for me as it has more power. You could also use the 45mm kit from the 51 husqvarna but may be looking at only OEM there too.

Thanks! I don't want to spend a lot on this saw and the 46mm is $100. Might have to do.

Someday my son will appreciate that it was his grandfathers and that's my main reason for a rebuild. I have the 357 for bigger stuff, so this was to be a limbing saw. The more questions I ask, the more details I get. May have been straight gassed or ran with a lean mix, ring was replaced but that's all. Apparently he loaned it out to a friend who didn't have much chainsaw experience. I'm going to post pics of the jug on a separate thread.

Just an update on this old thread. I originally had trouble using the decomp as the brake handle on the model 50 clutch cover will interfered with it. You can install a clutch cover/brake handle from a 55 rancher and there is plenty of clearance for the decomp.

Back