Husqvarna 65 / New to Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The model 65, in its day, was a nice and fast 4 ci. saw. The problem with it not wanting to run after it gets hot is a vapor lock caused by the vent in the gas tank. To remedy this, unscrew the vent, located in the top of the tank, and remove the check ball and the roll pin in the vent. This can be done with a small punch. Replace the roll pin and be sure to replace the tube on the vent and route it to the clutch side of the saw, as it is supposed to be.
Dave
There was a filter about the size of a cigarette filter in that vent tube that loops over the carb. Take that out too. The cooling fins in the head had a tendency to clog up and cause overheating too. They were bulletproof. I ran those and the 77's which looked just like them for years until the AV saws came out but by then my hands were already wrecked. They vibrate some.

I picked up a 65L a few weeks ago off craigslist from a great old guy.. original docs, cool leather bag with tools.. it was a little oily, but he said he thought he and his brother cut maybe 10 cords of wood with it. 24" bar... He said it hadn't been started in a long time... I took it for 35.00. Got it home, got busy (and I'm not a saw expert or anything) so, I had a ton of trees to take down (for me) at our cabin... and I got the idea that it would be cool to get a granberg sawmill... and I thought, hey, maybe that 65l... I got home, got a new plug cleaned it all up, fresh fuel, bar oil etc.. looked at the chain, it looks really sharp and it has an OLD Oregon bar on it.. but, nicely maintained... I had to fix the pull string and I pulled stuff apart and scrubbed.. and... 3rd pull, it fired up and runs like a BEAST!

so.... I'm thinking about using it for the granberg on a 24" bar... it should work on most of the trees I've got and am taking down... boards are way more fun than firewood. Your thoughts? btw, my regular saw is a pretty new 460 24" bar which has been plenty of saw for me. My local saw dealer talked me into it over the 555.

it is 65cc, right? what would be a better, reasonably prices saw to use for milling? I have time and don't have to go fast, could I go to like a 32" bar if I wanted to use the 65? What would you pick if you had, oh, say 20 good sized trees to mill... would you give it a go with the 65, use the 460 or spend for a bigger saw?

it is 65cc, right? what would be a better, reasonably prices saw to use for milling? I have time and don't have to go fast, could I go to like a 32" bar if I wanted to use the 65? What would you pick if you had, oh, say 20 good sized trees to mill... would you give it a go with the 65, use the 460 or spend for a bigger saw?
Yes it is 65 CC and rated at 3.8 hp. It has a lot of torque and it not a high revving saw so it may feel more powerful in decent sized wood than a saw with similar HP rating that is a more peaky high revver. For comparison a 460 is about 6 hp.

Most folks consider a good milling saw to start at 90 CC. Your 460 will work but it is still going to work the saw pretty hard.

Yes it is 65 CC and rated at 3.8 hp. It has a lot of torque and it not a high revving saw so it may feel more powerful in decent sized wood than a saw with similar HP rating that is a more peaky high revver. For comparison a 460 is about 6 hp.

Most folks consider a good milling saw to start at 90 CC. Your 460 will work but it is still going to work the saw pretty hard.

Thanks Fellers! This is very very helpful information. I think I'll start to crawl CL and find me something around 90CC... Maybe I'll sell the 65l as much as I like it, It probably won't get the use the 460 gets and I am enamored of the 'making my own board' idea... I have some good wood on my place and the neighbors are all older and would probably like their stuff cleaned up... Thus far, the 460 has been super reliable... but, it sounds like I need some bigger umph to rip those suckers into boards! Thanks for such a helpful forum!

Thanks Fellers! This is very very helpful information. I think I'll start to crawl CL and find me something around 90CC... Maybe I'll sell the 65l as much as I like it, It probably won't get the use the 460 gets and I am enamored of the 'making my own board' idea... I have some good wood on my place and the neighbors are all older and would probably like their stuff cleaned up... Thus far, the 460 has been super reliable... but, it sounds like I need some bigger umph to rip those suckers into boards! Thanks for such a helpful forum!
I'd let you double your money and pay shipping.

Seriously though I'd be interested.

Well, I'll take some pics of the saw and make a little video of her running... if you are both still interested.. we'll figure something out... my 460 seems to be plenty for taking down the trees I've got remaining... I'm on a quest to do some milling and while I really love old stuff (I'd never part with my pulaski from my wayward youth) and have restored a pickup or three, I'd be willing to send the 65 on toward the goal of a granberg. Stand by, I'll try to get to some pics this evening when I get home.

Cost was two 7/32" round files.
4e77fd6883b68559eb00fb4433eeff80.jpg

3d68927736f5cbd9094eeb454dabc01a.jpg

Ran at first but since lost spark.

Latest posts

Back