Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want a AutoTune/M Tronic saw but these threads and post make it very hard to pick... I mean, I honestly do hear more bad about husky than I do stihl. That being said I think that is only because there are more AutoTunes than m tronics out there so the percentage is higher. I am young and new to saws. I just can not picture pro huskys being that "cheaply" made when compared to the heavy and more expensive stihl.

Auto Tune has been out longer and there are more saws with it out there, and no manufacturer is 100% trouble free. M-Tronic came out later, and is still just coming out on some saws (like the 362 I am getting), but there seem to be very few problems with it. This is confirmed by people like Mastermind, who likely sees more saws in a month than I will in a lifetime.

If you are talking pro saws, the 50cc Husky has less weight, the 60cc s are very close (I don't think you will feel the difference), and the 70 cc saws it may go to Stihls advantage. My dealer highly recommended the Pro Husky saws (he sells both), but also told me he sells Stihl 3 - 1 to Husky because the non pro Stihls are better (this is what he told me, I have not done any research on non Pro saws). I'm not sure where you got your prices, but at the place I went to they were priced about the same (550 XP compared to a 261 C-M or a 562 XP compared to a 362 CM (in fact the latter two were the exact same price).

The bottom line is if you get either a M-Tonic or Auto Tune saw that has no issues you will likely love it. So go check out the saws yourself and see what you like and make sure you have a dealer that will stand behind the product 100%.

One piece of advice I will give you, get a pro level saw if you can, you will not regret it. They will have better power to weight and be more durable than the other stuff. The size saw you want will depend on your size, your strength, and the size wood you plan to cut. Many people have a large saw (70cc) for felling and bucking and a small saw for limbing and topping. The 60cc 562 XP and 362 CM are often considered good "do anything" saws, and the modern day electronics help them to cut like a larger size saw. I am 6' 1" and 185 and consider myself to be in good physical condition. I have used 70 cc saws for everything for years and prefer a 20" bar, but as I am now in my 60s I want a lighter saw. Limbing with a 70 cc saw may look impressive, but it can get you tired.

Also, if you do not have a lot of experience, don't start with a monster saw, this stuff can get dangerous. That said, most people start small and then wish they had a bigger saw than the other way around. I started with much smaller saws, a Homelite Super 2 with a 14" bar, then a Homelite 330 with a 20" bar (only 1.75 HP). My Stihl 044 (similar to the MS 440 and MS 441) was a tremendous improvement, but it is not a beginner saw.

Hope this helps you, best of luck, and most importantly always be safe.
MustangMike

Mike, yes there are a few here with real problems with their 562s', but most chainsaw owners are not on a forum talking about saws. We are kind of different around here. Very small problem in reality...
:givebeer:
Don,

I agree with you, and I try to report it as objectively as I can. I just hope I am as happy with my 362 as you are with your 562 and we can both walk around with smiles on our faces. Same with the cars, just because I love my Mustangs does not mean I do not like Camaros. When I got my first Mustang (a used 67 289 4spd Fastback) my best friend had a 69 Z-28. We spent a lot of time hanging around together, crusin the streets. Now that I have a modern Mustang one of my good friends has a modern Camaro. We both have Whipple Super Chargers installed, and we both grin ear to ear about it.

Like I said before, I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas right now. It should come mid week, I can't wait!
MustangMike

Randy,

Thank you for your prayers, my wife had a good day today. I hope your other half's knee is doing well.

Forgive my ignorance. I know the saw in the first post is a ported MS 261 CM, but what is "Woods Ported"? Is this your work or someone else's?

In this post the third saw seems to be the fastest, but it does not specify if the MS 261 has M-Tronic. Do we know, and are these stock saws?

Thanks,
MustangMike

Randy,

Thank you for your prayers, my wife had a good day today. I hope your other half's knee is doing well.

Forgive my ignorance. I know the saw in the first post is a ported MS 261 CM, but what is "Woods Ported"? Is this your work or someone else's?

In this post the third saw seems to be the fastest, but it does not specify if the MS 261 has M-Tronic. Do we know, and are these stock saws?

Thanks,
MustangMike

"All three saws are woods ported and have had the squish bands cut to increase compression. 16" Bars With the same Square Ground Chain on each saw"

Don,

I agree with you, and I try to report it as objectively as I can. I just hope I am as happy with my 362 as you are with your 562 and we can both walk around with smiles on our faces. Same with the cars, just because I love my Mustangs does not mean I do not like Camaros. When I got my first Mustang (a used 67 289 4spd Fastback) my best friend had a 69 Z-28. We spent a lot of time hanging around together, crusin the streets. Now that I have a modern Mustang one of my good friends has a modern Camaro. We both have Whipple Super Chargers installed, and we both grin ear to ear about it.

Like I said before, I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas right now. It should come mid week, I can't wait!
MustangMike
We're good Mike. My best friend is a Chevy guy, I'm all Ford! :D

Randy,

Thanks,
MustangMike

The first video is of the very first MS261C-M I ported. Including gains from chain, I got over a 60% increase in cut speed in that build.

The next video is a compro of three ported 50cc saws, all with the same chain, and all ported by us.

Like Don said, the 2153 (346XP) was the fastest, and the 550XP was in second place. At that time I was still working on finding just the right "recipe" for the 261......I have it figured out very well now, but still have not been able to catch that 2153. I do believe it is the strongest 50cc saw I've done.

The first video is of the very first MS261C-M I ported. Including gains from chain, I got over a 60% increase in cut speed in that build.

The next video is a compro of three ported 50cc saws, all with the same chain, and all ported by us.

Like Don said, the 2153 (346XP) was the fastest, and the 550XP was in second place. At that time I was still working on finding just the right "recipe" for the 261......I have it figured out very well now, but still have not been able to catch that 2153. I do believe it is the strongest 50cc saw I've done.

That there 2153 must be the one in Steven's siggy i assume.

Great work Randy,

60% is awesome. Thought the 261 and 550 were close, and if you improved the 261 ... OK, I won't go there!

Do the saws with "Brains" (Auto Tune & M-Tronic) respond better than the older saws? (I'll bet they do)

I'd seen the 3 saw comparison on U-Tube before, but not knowing the details it did not mean much.

You do great work, even the 1st version of the 261 is very impressive. If I ever decide to "Boost" my saw, I know who to call. I've never had them apart, but I think the 261 is similar to the 362, while the 441 is different. Is this correct?

Do these saws see regular use or are they mostly used in competitions to embarrass unsuspecting foes?

I love "Sleepers". My Mustang is just a GT, but MechanciMatt put the Super Charger on it (530 HP) and I have yet to be beaten on the open road (a 4wd took me off the start). It is so much fun to show someone who thinks they have got you beat your tail lights, and it is a daily driver with over 100,000 miles on it, emissions legal, without any major mechanical problems (lost an idler pulley). I have even embarrassed some high end crotch rocket bikes in the right speed range (50 to 140 MPH). A Ducati guy was really stunned as he promised that he could "annihilate" me at any speed.

Again, Great Work, all three of those saws are awesome!

MustangMike

MustangMikes quote
"Do these saws see regular use or are they mostly used in competitions to embarrass unsuspecting foes?"

I might be able to answer this for Randy.
There are 2 ways saws are know to be ported...
A "Woods Ported" saw is meant for day in and day out use. (Just like a stock saw) (You liken it to your car.... it makes a whole lot more power than stock but is still a daily driver!)
A "Race Ported" saw on the other hand is a whole different animal. (Kind of like a 8 second car)

Last edited:
MustangMikes quote
"Do these saws see regular use or are they mostly used in competitions to embarrass unsuspecting foes?"

I might be able to answer this for Randy.
There are 2 ways saws are know to be ported...
A "Woods Ported" saw is meant for day in and day out use. (Just like a stock saw) (You liken it to your car.... it makes a whole lot more power than stock but is still a daily driver!)
A "Race Ported" saw on the other hand is a whole different animal. (Kind of like a 8 second car)

Thanks for the information, I joined this site to learn and it is working!

I also see all three saws have "square ground chain". Am I correct in presuming that must be done by hand?

I use the Stihl yellow chisel chain. Used to sharpen by hand and was quite proud of my work. I would put the bar in a vice then immobilize the tooth by pressing a paint stirrer against the bar and tooth with one hand and sharpening the chain with the other. I have since went to a hand held device with diamond stones. Does just as well, and takes a lot less time.

MustangMike

Thanks for the information, I joined this site to learn and it is working!

I also see all three saws have "square ground chain". Am I correct in presuming that must be done by hand?

I use the Stihl yellow chisel chain. Used to sharpen by hand and was quite proud of my work. I would put the bar in a vice then immobilize the tooth by pressing a paint stirrer against the bar and tooth with one hand and sharpening the chain with the other. I have since went to a hand held device with diamond stones. Does just as well, and takes a lot less time.

MustangMike
If I remember correctly Randy and Jon use a Simington grinder for sharpening there square stuff. (I read awhile back when Jon was converting .325 chain into square that cut like no bodies business)
But yes it can be done by hand.
Here is one of the most current threads dealing with Square Grind chain.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-are-the-pros-cons-of-square-grind-chain.249743/

Latest posts

Back