Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running saws since 1977. The 562xp has been the easiest starting saw I've ever run, cold, warm, hot. The newer 346xp is the 2nd easiest. Both have air purge bulbs.

I have never flooded a Husky saw! But used to flood the old Poulans once in a while. Guys around here, my brother included flood Stihl saws fairly regular.
How many pulls for the 346 to get running?

Here is my 2 cents worth on the AT non AT issues.
1. If you want a saw that has impressive performance, get your saw ported. AT will not make a 60cc saw out cut a properly tuned 70cc saw.
2. If you are proficient at tuning a saw either by ear or with a tach, you wont notice a huge difference. If you are not a good tuner then you will notice consistent performance, and will have confidence your saw is not running too lean.
If you want to have performance and dont want to invest the time in learning the tuning skills needed to keep you saw running well, get an AT saw and get it ported by a reputable sponsor here on AS.

3. After you get through arguing Stihl this, or Husky that get a grinder and some files and learn to sharpen a chain. A sharp chain is the real performance enhancer most are looking for. They confuse the saw running that sharp chain, with the saws performance. The impressive saws always have one thing in common. A SHARP CHAIN.

Here is my 2 cents worth on the AT non AT issues.
1. If you want a saw that has impressive performance, get your saw ported. AT will not make a 60cc saw out cut a properly tuned 70cc saw.
2. If you are proficient at tuning a saw either by ear or with a tach, you wont notice a huge difference. If you are not a good tuner then you will notice consistent performance, and will have confidence your saw is not running too lean.
If you want to have performance and dont want to invest the time in learning the tuning skills needed to keep you saw running well, get an AT saw and get it ported by a reputable sponsor here on AS.

3. After you get through arguing Stihl this, or Husky that get a grinder and some files and learn to sharpen a chain. A sharp chain is the real performance enhancer most are looking for. They confuse the saw running that sharp chain, with the saws performance. The impressive saws always have one thing in common. A SHARP CHAIN.

Sounds like good advice across the board. I have always focused on keeping my chains sharp, but have never tried square file. I think my old 044 spoiled me, always seemed to run strong without any change in the tune. I hope my new 362 C-M will spoil me just as much, should have it this week.

MustangMike

Thanks, that makes sense. If the automatic tunes had no limits they would likely be better, but if they only operate in a restricted range then it will not accommodate the changes.

Let me ask you something specific. How well do Stihl 044s respond to porting, and do the older 10mm saws stand up to it? Not only do I have one, but I know where another one is that runs but is beat up on the outside that I may be able to acquire at low cost. Also, since they don't have compression relief, does this make them "poor" candidates for modding as I imagine increased compression would make them harder to start.

Thanks, in advance, for letting me pick your brain,
MustangMike

I've actually been able to get just a fuzz more out of the OE MS261 than the MS261C-M Mike. I think that being able to advance the ignition timing a bit on the non-M-Tronic model gave it a slight edge. Here's a thread on the whole thing Mike.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms261-vs-ms261-c-m-comparison.243686/

Thanks, that makes sense. If the automatic tunes had no limits they would likely be better, but if they only operate in a restricted range then it will not accommodate the changes.

Let me ask you something specific. How well do Stihl 044s respond to porting, and do the older 10mm saws stand up to it? Not only do I have one, but I know where another one is that runs but is beat up on the outside that I may be able to acquire at low cost. Also, since they don't have compression relief, does this make them "poor" candidates for modding as I imagine increased compression would make them harder to start.

Thanks, in advance, for letting me pick your brain,
MustangMike
The 10mm 044 is a great saw to mod.
Someone's sending a saw down south;)

I'm not sure, but if your statement is saying the AT will not accommodate the changes brought on by having the saw ported, that is not a true statement. Both of my AT saws were ported before they were shipped to me. They were run in until Terry was satisfied, then sent to me. Both the 2253 and the 2260 exceed my expectations. And they are red and black.:)

Someone's sending a saw down south;)

The bug is biting awful bad!!! Looks like your a believer. My nephew (MechanicMatt) lives in your County. This is bad, ... but Honey, I know I just bought a new saw ... but, but, but .... we will see.

So how does that 441 run? I just got rid of mine to the guy with the old beat up 044 (that I know he does not need any more). I liked my 441, but if I cut cookies with that and my 20 year old 044, you could not tell the difference between the two, even though the 441 was rated 1/2 hp more. Also, I never did feel any vibrations from my 044, but my old Homelite 330 used to kill me (and cut much slower).

The bug is biting awful bad!!! Looks like your a believer. My nephew (MechanicMatt) lives in your County. This is bad, ... but Honey, I know I just bought a new saw ... but, but, but .... we will see.

So how does that 441 run? I just got rid of mine to the guy with the old beat up 044 (that I know he does not need any more). I liked my 441, but if I cut cookies with that and my 20 year old 044, you could not tell the difference between the two, even though the 441 was rated 1/2 hp more. Also, I never did feel any vibrations from my 044, but my old Homelite 330 used to kill me (and cut much slower).
If you ever make it to this side of the river, we'll hook up and you can run one of my ported saws, I'm not surprised about your saws, newer saws are just to restrictive when it comes to exhaust.

No one stated that porting did not improve all of the saws. Mastermind just stated that he was able to get a little more out of a regular MS 261 than the corresponding C-M version because he was able to advance the timing a bit more. It was also specific to the automatic tuning in M-Tronic for that particular saw, nothing else.

If you ever make it to this side of the river, we'll hook up and you can run one of my ported saws, I'm not surprised about your saws, newer saws are just to restrictive when it comes to exhaust.

Thanks, I will keep than in mind, and may take you up on that.

Hey, if anyone wants to see the project MechainMatt and I were involved in this summer (making a new hunting cabin from blown down Ash Trees) take a look at: Tree Care - Milling & Saw Mills - Chainsaw Timber Framing. I think we did a nice job!!!! At least the frame is standing before winter comes.

Thanks, I will keep than in mind, and may take you up on that.

Hey, if anyone wants to see the project MechainMatt and I were involved in this summer (making a new hunting cabin from blown down Ash Trees) take a look at: Tree Care - Milling & Saw Mills - Chainsaw Timber Framing. I think we did a nice job!!!! At least the frame is standing before winter comes.
Just looked at it, pretty nice, where in the Catskills is it.

Just looked at it, pretty nice, where in the Catskills is it.

Thanks,

I'm in Delaware Cty on a Mountain Top in between Hancock and Walton, overlooking the Cannonsville Reservoir & the Rte 10 Bridge.

A lot of Bear, Deer, Bobcat, Coyotes and Grouse. Have also seen Snowshoe Rabbit, Bald Eagles and Osprey up there. For some reason, the Grouse down here (in Putnam County) have all but disappeared. There used to be a lot of them. Can't blame it on the Bobcat & Coyotes because there are more of them up there. I think it may be related to the tick problem we have down here, and all the diseases they carry (lyme, ehrlichiosis, and that new fatal one they don't have a cure for, Putnam Cty is the epicenter). Upstate they just have the dog ticks, not the deer ticks, and the dog ticks don't carry those diseases.

Thanks,

I'm in Delaware Cty on a Mountain Top in between Hancock and Walton, overlooking the Cannonsville Reservoir & the Rte 10 Bridge.

A lot of Bear, Deer, Bobcat, Coyotes and Grouse. Have also seen Snowshoe Rabbit, Bald Eagles and Osprey up there. For some reason, the Grouse down here (in Putnam County) have all but disappeared. There used to be a lot of them. Can't blame it on the Bobcat & Coyotes because there are more of them up there. I think it may be related to the tick problem we have down here, and all the diseases they carry (lyme, ehrlichiosis, and that new fatal one they don't have a cure for, Putnam Cty is the epicenter). Upstate they just have the dog ticks, not the deer ticks, and the dog ticks don't carry those diseases.
Nice, I don't usually go that far up but spend a lot of time in the upper Neversink and Willowemoc and also Russell Brooke, do you have any trout streams on your land.

No mods necessary on a 10mm saw ;)

Or at least I should say....the percentage gained by porting a 10mm saw is less than the percentage gained by porting a 12mm saw.
The only thing I can think of that can be improved on a 10mm cylinder is the compression and maybe widening the intake & exhaust.

Lymes is what forced me out of the construction business. Nasty stuff....

You got that right, sorry to hear you have it. If they don't catch it right away it is nasty. The dogs have all had it (you know when they start limping), my wife had Ehrlichiosis (luckily they caught it early) and now they have something new I don't even know what it is called. They say 10% of the deer tick here have it, there is no treatment (known yet) and it is 10% fatal! Just lucky I have not got it will all the time I spend in the woods, but you can just walk the dog down the street and you have to pull ticks off them. Never used to be this way, don't remember any ticks when I was growing up, and we always played in the woods.

Hope you are improving, I know people who have struggled for years, and it has taken some of the people I bike ride with out of the game.

MustangMike

Latest posts

Back