Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did this info come from? I'd like to see for myself that Stihl bought M-Tronic from Husky. M-Tronic works all the time, everytime. Why in the hell would Husky sell them that?
  • Mastermind, I've asked Stihl several times about the supposed link between AT and M-tronic, they adimantly deny any involvement with Husky, Stihl says they developed thiers back with the 270 and 280 as test beds. They laugh when you ask them about the EU making them do it, they respond how would the EU enforce anything outside the EU like saws produced at VA Beach, where the majority will be produced, the 362,261,241. Their contoller runs a 125.00 ours on spring special is right at 600.00 with all the adapters and fuel injection set up cost us right at 800.00 when it came out. In the near future we are supposed to be able to buy a master coil that is blank and using the MCAT tool download a specific tune to the coil it'll allow minimun inventory on coils.
Kinda like the EPA making them do anything outside of the US..........................Marketing and information within either company is terrible, especially after the human factor is added.

At present what is the tech interface and ability on the M-Tronic?

Gen 1 AT works great, all the time.

Where did this info come from? I'd like to see for myself that Stihl bought M-Tronic from Husky. M-Tronic works all the time, everytime. Why in the hell would Husky sell them that?

Morning,
Husky didn't sell it. Stihl bought Zama. Zama USA was temporarily held by one of Stihl's Japanese companies until it was brought permanently into the Stihl fold. They didn't need to buy Autotune, they bought the company that developed it.

Looking through the patents is like a trip into madness but I'm determined to trace it all out. Walbro plays a significant roll in both systems as well, patents are filed under 3rd party attoney's, it's all a big mess.

O

It seems like ground superiority in the Stihl-husky battle seems to change back and forth every few years, but at least we can all agree that echo's suck donkey balls.

:D
I am sooooo sorry mountainsteve! I was mostly kidding:rolleyes:

According to local Stihl guru, the ignition module in both standard and M-tronic versions of the MS261 advances the timing in steps according to rpm's.
I'm not saying that it is not based on RPMs, I don't know, but the Stihl literature for the MS 261 C-M states "...the M-Tronic adjusts the ignition timing in all operating modes." It is accompanied by a "cut away" picture showing M-Tonic connected to both the ignition and the carb. I don't think the lawyers for a company as big as Stihl would let them publish that if it were not true. Elsewhere they state that the engine responds faster to a change in timing than it does to only an change in fuel. I know some very knowledgeable people have disagreed with this, but unless I am Hallucinating this is what it is.

This does not mean it is better or worse than anyone else's system, but timing and fuel are both connected to the M-Tonic brain.

MustangMike

Seth,

We have two of them in the family, just bought another one.
My brother grabbed the wrong gas can and sent my Dad's to
galled aluminum hades. We fixed it, he wouldn't give it up.
With a 16" bar it's fantastic.

Stihltech,

The 034 sup I just bought runs great, but smokes like a bear on
start up. It cleans up and is fine, I just have never had a machine smoke that much on warm up. New carb kit?, or should I just not
even worry about it. Everything else sure seems OK. I will be sure to check the pulse hose.

Later

SawTroll's undying admiration for Husqy. Spit out in a jealous attempt to cut down the opposition. Probably in an effort to feel better about choosing a flimsy saw... ;)

SawTroll's undying admiration for Husqy. Spit out in a jealous attempt to cut down the opposition. Probably in an effort to feel better about choosing a flimsy saw... ;)
What in the hell does that have to do with anything?

Last edited:
I've looked at no coils yet......leaving for a bit. Must take the little women in for knee repairs.

Laterz

Sawtroll was the one that kept saying his understanding was that STIHL bought AT tech, but also said he doesn't have any documentation to prove it. He would say this everytime, so eventually people are gonna take that and spread it all over the internet as fact. That's how rumors get started, especially when the source is an from intellect like Nikko. It's dangerous being smart and making statements w/o facts. People tend to trust that information because they figure the source is good.

That is an excellent question, where did this info of Stihl getting MT from Husky originate....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Sunfish,
This is the post I was trying to quote. I guess my previous post wouldn't have made much sense. But the point is SawTroll has made many statements about M-Tronic that may be false. Likely in an effort to feel better about choosing a flimsy saw. ;)

Sunfish,
This is the post I was trying to quote. I guess my previous post wouldn't have made much sense. But the point is XSKIER has made many statements about Autotune that may be false. Likely in an effort to feel better about choosing a bulky saw. ;)

Fixed that for ya :)

Sent from my Autotune Carb

I've looked at no coils yet......leaving for a bit. Must take the little women in for knee repairs.

Laterz
Good Luck with that Randy. My wife is still nursing a concussion. She was in hospital for a day and a half and can not remember what happened. She feels a little better, tries to do too much, then does not feel so good again. Luckily all of the tests said no damage, will just take some time.

MustangMike

Autotune vs m-tronic is fun to argue about, but these arguments will be somewhat short lived as FI has to be fairly close, and the electronic chainsaw carb will find its place in history near the electronic automotive carb

The Gen1 Autotune had very little issues...

And there you have it. When we say Autotune we need to differentiate between Gen 1 & 2. They're totally different systems. Gen 1 uses an intelligent ignition module to control the carb while Gen 2 uses a standard rev limited coil and moves the processor onto the carb.

O

Could someone with a CM look at the ignition module. If we can see who actually makes it we'll know more about what's going on. Look at the side that faces the flywheel for something like SEM, IIDA or ZAMA.

O

Heres a picture of the side. I could not get a clear picture of the side facing the flywheel but it has "STIHL" in one box and in another what looks like " I P I 2000" along with 'Made in Germany"
GOPR1616.JPG

Back