Huztl / Farmertec ms 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have recently ordered a Huztl 440 build kit:

When you all get your kits, take a close look at the chain brake main spring. Compare yours to the pictures in these "440 build" threads (problem with some springs is difficult to describe in words). You may need to order a replacement. Also, look for a throttle linkage. It might be missing completely - again you may need to order one. There have been challenges with the installation of the oil pumps - look through the threads for solutions, they are in there.

There are two separate "440 build" threads on this site (so far). They both have good information (and a bit of contention - read over those parts).

I used the "case halves in oven, crank in freezer" method for putting the case together - worked like a charm.

The kit-provided piston pin circlips have been criticized as not being of good quality. I personally replaced the clips from my kit with Stihl 12MM x 1MM clips. Did I NEED to? I don't know, but I feel better about it after replacing them - so it was worth it to me.

Get an illustrated parts list (IPL)! It makes the job much easier. I have one as do many others here; if you need one, let me know through "private message" on this site - send me your e-mail address and I'll send you one in PDF.

Think it through, take it slowly, hang in there and don't give up - the finished product is worth it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences sir.

Does that mean a discount?

A very good one from what I've seen.

Maybe coupons for pie?

Now Grizz, you know I'm a sucker for a good slice of pie.

Sorta off topic but I recently built up the 440 kit and really was impressed with the quality, for how much I paid, and was wondering if building up a 361 kit would be good, I know the crank issues exist but from what I have heard they are slightly rumors and how much could a new crank cost from huztl anyways, I think it might be a good kit, it's hard to justify owning a ms441 and a ms440:)
So far I would definitely recommend the 361 kit. I love my saw so far and after the hiccups of getting it to run (which was ultimately my fault) I have not had any problems. I was initially tempted to sell the saw after I built it and get a larger kit saw, but the more I use it, the more I have fallen for it. I know that the crank issues have existed in the past, but has anyone had any failure with the newest kits yet? I haven't heard of anything. I will say that there was a lot of vibration to begin with, but most of it went away after I tuned it and added a bar+chain, and it seems to have gotten better with use.

So far I would definitely recommend the 361 kit. I love my saw so far and after the hiccups of getting it to run (which was ultimately my fault) I have not had any problems. I was initially tempted to sell the saw after I built it and get a larger kit saw, but the more I use it, the more I have fallen for it. I know that the crank issues have existed in the past, but has anyone had any failure with the newest kits yet? I haven't heard of anything. I will say that there was a lot of vibration to begin with, but most of it went away after I tuned it and added a bar+chain, and it seems to have gotten better with use.

I have to wonder about the clutch.....one common denominator is those who said the vibrations on the different kits got better did so AFTER B&C and after being under load. Its either crank/flywheel related or Clutch/Clutch drum. And I actually saw something similar with the 660's just didn't make the connection. Need to go back and compare the Oregon vs. As delivered clutch drums as a start, maybe swap out the flywheel with OEM as well....just in the middle of other things now so that has to wait.

I have to wonder about the clutch.....one common denominator is those who said the vibrations on the different kits got better did so AFTER B&C and after being under load. Its either crank/flywheel related or Clutch/Clutch drum. And I actually saw something similar with the 660's just didn't make the connection. Need to go back and compare the Oregon vs. As delivered clutch drums as a start....just in the middle of other things now so that has to wait.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with the clutch more than it does the crank. The clutch or drum on mine had or still has something funny going on with it. When it was assembled, I could hardly spin the clutch drum at all by hand. I installed a bar and chain and could then pull it around. Nothing seemed out of round and I didn't notice any odd effects when using the saw. I have not had any time to take it apart again and see what's going on, perhaps next weekend I will.

Kit came in a couple hours ago. It was packed good and had no damage. I've only had time to look through the box. I did look at the chain brake spring. It looks like a 660 spring. I'll start on it tonight or tomorrow and get it going. Here's the spring and used oem. You can't tell in the pic but it's larger and bent different.
7707f1d3113dbe70f1f31f79c89fcd0d.jpg

You mean he could string sentences together? I am not banned. If you are inferring I am causing trouble you might be missing the fact I am correcting the folks. Trouble maker.

I've run my "vibrator" with and without the clutch, with the farmertech flywheel and with an oem flywheel, I've replaced the crank with another farmertech and replaced a 50mm top end with an nwp 52mm.... and still have a vibrator.

My current theory surrounds the av mounts which may explain why it diminishes when you mount a b & c. I'll replace the av mounts in one tonight and test that theory.

Shoot, I will pull the trigger on the 361 kit when I get home, should assemble much easier now that I have done the 440!

The 660 had 3 levels of firmness on the av mounts that you could buy. I searched the IPL and it does not offer the same choice. Maybe someone with a spare 660 rubber piece could compare the sizes. The 440 mounts seemed much softer than the kit 660 mounts.

Yes, exactly. The kit spring (black cover) large anchoring hook on the left end in the picture is not axial with the spring coils like the OEM spring is. It is offset to the plane of the edge of the spring coils. For me, that was fatal for using the kit spring. The larger diameter of the coils is also a problem.

Kit came in a couple hours ago. It was packed good and had no damage. I've only had time to look through the box. I did look at the chain brake spring. It looks like a 660 spring. I'll start on it tonight or tomorrow and get it going. Here's the spring and used oem. You can't tell in the pic but it's larger and bent different.
7707f1d3113dbe70f1f31f79c89fcd0d.jpg

Latest posts

Back