Hydraulic Drive Motor for SC292

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumper63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems I've got a slow hydraulic fluid leak out of the shaft, behind the sprocket of the drive wheel motor on my Vermeer SC292. Chain getting lubricated in the wrong way, lol.
Vermeer wants $1,412 for a new one. They don't offer a rebuild kit. Seems like a lot of coin for a 4" x 8" motor. Must be some impressive engineering in that thing.

What is the downside of taking to a hydraulic shop for a reseal/rebuild, besides the downtime? Perhaps proprietary parts? Shop might have hard time getting parts?? Haven't taken it off yet to see if there are any model #'s on it for cross reference.

Is it common for the rebuild to be anywhere near the price of new on this type of hydraulic motor? Any reliability issues of rebuilt vs new?

Getting close to 2K hours on machine, everything else operating fine. Still crazy busy here in December, very unusual, so don't really have much time to let machine sit for a repair, only machine in the stable.

Anyone else dealt with this type of issue on their stumper? Probably similar to what Bandit and Rayco uses I suppose. The motor does have a hydraulic brake element to it. Thanks for any input.

Stumper63

Stumper63, probably it's the same parker-motor as in a 252, I don't see any problems by taking it to hydro shop... You see, you should have kept your old, abidingly 252. I'm sure it would have been a pleasure for her to help you out in this situation:)

Seems I've got a slow hydraulic fluid leak out of the shaft, behind the sprocket of the drive wheel motor on my Vermeer SC292. Chain getting lubricated in the wrong way, lol.
Vermeer wants $1,412 for a new one. They don't offer a rebuild kit. Seems like a lot of coin for a 4" x 8" motor. Must be some impressive engineering in that thing.

What is the downside of taking to a hydraulic shop for a reseal/rebuild, besides the downtime? Perhaps proprietary parts? Shop might have hard time getting parts?? Haven't taken it off yet to see if there are any model #'s on it for cross reference.

Is it common for the rebuild to be anywhere near the price of new on this type of hydraulic motor? Any reliability issues of rebuilt vs new?

Getting close to 2K hours on machine, everything else operating fine. Still crazy busy here in December, very unusual, so don't really have much time to let machine sit for a repair, only machine in the stable.

Anyone else dealt with this type of issue on their stumper? Probably similar to what Bandit and Rayco uses I suppose. The motor does have a hydraulic brake element to it. Thanks for any input.

Stumper63

I had a hydraulic drive motor for one of the tires rebuilt this year. I think it cost me just about $330 bucks. I believe it was american hydraulics, there is a shop by me in CT but they ended up shipping it to their pump shop in NJ. As I type that I realize you're in Oregon so that wont help much, but yes these can be rebuilt.

Back