I dont know how you guys up north do it....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually don't mind the cold that much. I wear layers and strip em off as I go. This weather now mid 20's is fine for me cutting wood. I'm actually working a job just down the road (doesn't happen too often) were I can walk too work! Running a machine though Feller /buncher or the limber so it's not all that physical.
Reason I prefer this time for firewood is the grounds froze up hard and more than that, the blackflies and deerflies and mossies are froze up good! Much rather contend with the weather than them!

Like most everyone above, the positives are: No bugs, frozen ground, ability to regulate temperature by adding/removing layers, etc.Snow cover hasn't been too bad here, but when it is real deep, it is a pain having to clear a trail everywhere just to get around. Even with the 8" or so we have, there are a lot of blowdown branches, etc that I won't see until spring.
For me, wood season lasts from the week after deer hunting (end of Nov in WI), and lasts till the frost goes out in late March/early April. Anything that gets cut during the summer is due to fenceline cleaning or storm damage.
Don't get me wrong, January was a bear, cold and miserable every weekend, and I look forward to more weekends like last weekend in the +-30° range.
Steve

:agree2:
Truth be told Avalancher, to us Northerners, winter gear are: full wrap chaps over bare ass, helmet system, gloves, s-toe boots, maybe a Bailey's T-shirt ( mandatory orange ). Bugs won't bother you a bit. :dizzy: :popcorn:

For those in the know, once you have experienced Camp Elgin training in high July, snow and ice and cold are Paradise. Never again: moldy armpits, sneaky snakes, insects that somehow find crevices that you didn't know existed, wet wet wet soggy boots, giant thorns that tear thin northern skins, misery. Forget it. That's really why the War Between the States was won.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hardest thing for me here in northeast ohio is the cloudy days, which seem to be more than less!! It seems the sun never likes to shine around here during the winter months which adds to the length of it. The snow making things hard to do doesn't help either and the mud in the spring.

Other than that you get used to it after a few months of below freezing temps.

I for one don't like the cold at the start of winter but as winter goes by I get used to it and now 25 degrees feels like a heat wave.

I am thankfull that ticks, snakes, chiggers, and spiders hate the cold.

I had to have a lane plowed for me to get to the tree im working on now. Huge Maple. Cut for 3 hrs on Saturday, was around 10-15. Cut on Sunday too with sweatshirt on 40 and sunny, almost too warm.

I for one don't like the cold at the start of winter but as winter goes by I get used to it and now 25 degrees feels like a heat wave.

I am thankfull that ticks, snakes, chiggers, and spiders hate the cold.

I have been to your neck of the woods before! its not the cold that you have to get use to its the Snow, its starts in late november and it doesn't stop till late March! use to hang out close to tower road and 612 area. If i could live anywhere it would be there!

The cold is not so bad its the wind that is the problem. With insulated attire you can work outside all day at 0F. I live in a windy location on the corn flats. When the wind is at 15mph or above time to be inside eating :popcorn:

Brian

I had to have a lane plowed for me to get to the tree im working on now. Huge Maple. Cut for 3 hrs on Saturday, was around 10-15. Cut on Sunday too with sweatshirt on 40 and sunny, almost too warm.

LOL!!
That was a nice break! Dropped and cut three Red Oaks and a 20" Sassafrass.
Warm enough for just a Flannel shirt. Thermometer said it was 34 but it felt much warmer.
Gonna head back out and finish splitting before this latest storm hits and burys the rounds and I hit 'em with the plow.
Between the Black flies/skeeters, and cold, I'll take the cold every time!
Frostbite heals. Dead from heat exhaustion is mostly permanent.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have been to your neck of the woods before! its not the cold that you have to get use to its the Snow, its starts in late november and it doesn't stop till late March! use to hang out close to tower road and 612 area. If i could live anywhere it would be there!

Yes we get plenty of snow. If you like snowmobiling 8 months out of the year this is the place. Our short summers are really nice but if you blink to fast......

Those are the ones from Minnesota - Ours here in Wisconsin are like Condors!!!

Al :clap: :clap:

Around here we get two kinds.
The ittybitty sneaky ones that can grease up and wiggle through window screen mesh, and the Big bastards with the striped legs that just pry the window open, conk ya on the head and take you down a Pint.

Nothing is as satisfying as spraying immadan and having the dying little bastards land convulsing on the tractor hood.

There's nothing more aggravating than repairing a leaky drip line in the field when it's 90 degrees,99% Humidity, stifling calm air, and 40 skeeters are chewing on you like Ethiopians at a chineese Buffet!

Black flies are a pain, but they aren't as organized as the Skeeters around here. I swear they have a damn Union and shift hours!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Weather hasn't been too bad the last couple of days. 15 to 20 degrees outside with a mild breeze. Worst issue for me right now is the deep snow. It is over my knees in the lot I am working on at present. My tractor has kept up so far with keeping the wood-road open but if a tree is more than 50 ft. off the road, it is too difficult to skid into the road at present. I am taking all the good size logs I can get a hitch on back to the landing, but the rest that are marked for removal I am just dropping, limbing, and bucking where they fall. come spring when things dry out a bit I will go back with my 4-wheeler and cart and round up everything. Current temps aren't bothering me at all but when the mecury drops below zero and the wind picks up, it ain't much fun working outside. Big Northeaster coming up the coast tonight but I think it's going to miss us. Fingers crossed on that one.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

I will take the cold over heat any day. I lived in Tn for 2 years. i moved there in July 89. I swear it was over 100 everyday for 5 weeks straight. At night I stood under the shower for 10 minutes before a drop of water hit the tub! Body just sucked it up.

I can work in the cold as long as my feet stay warm. Last week my son and I cut for a few hours a day when he was out of school. 10 degrees and I was sweating in long johns and a T-shirt. Even with wind blowing 15-20 I stayed warm. I have to wring out my hat I wear under my helmet when I fuel up. My feet got cold and I was done. Just can't keep my feet warm no matter what I wear.

My son cuts in regular work boots and layers of shirts and a sweatshirt. His feet never get cold but he shivers the whole time. Course I'm packing 80 pounds more of "insulation" than he is. He always reminds of this when I ask if he needs to go home to pee.

I think the perfect cutting temp is right around 30 degrees. Ground frozen, no insects, and cool temp. I cut quite a bit at work today and loved it. The only problem we are still having is all the ice on the trees, its killing the chains.

The worst above all else are the damn Deer flies, they give me a welt about as big as a 1/2 dollar, and they will bite right through your clothes or mesh type baseball cap.

It gets a bit dangerous when you try swatting at them with your chainsaw.:hmm3grin2orange:

Or you look foolish when you smack at them biting your face and hit your face guard instead. Same thing happens while trying to cool off with a fresh drink of water and you forget to lift the visor.

Give me a nice cool day in the lower 30's anytime with not much wind.

Around here we get two kinds.
The ittybitty sneaky ones that can grease up and wiggle through window screen mesh, and the Big bastards with the striped legs that just pry the window open, conk ya on the head and take you down a Pint.

Nothing is as satisfying as spraying immadan and having the dying little bastards land convulsing on the tractor hood.

There's nothing more aggravating than repairing a leaky drip line in the field when it's 90 degrees,99% Humidity, stifling calm air, and 40 skeeters are chewing on you like Ethiopians at a chineese Buffet!

Black flies are a pain, but they aren't as organized as the Skeeters around here. I swear they have a damn Union and shift hours!

Stay safe!

Dingeryote

Some days it is near impossible to just get in the woods by walking and stirring up the dense clouds of skeeters. A nice stiff cool breeze or running like the caribou is the only relief you get.
Or else forget the smokeless oil and use the dirtiest oil and create a smoke cloud around you while cutting.

Cutting in cool weather is very advantageous except deep snow.

I live 4 miles off 612.

i'm not saying the mosquitoes are big around here, but last summer i saw one trying to screw a helicoter.
winter is the only time to cut. i did it once in the summer, and wont do it again.

I guess it what you get used to I guess.
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and had plenty of cold weather up there as a kid. Once I met my wife and moved down south, I guess things just changed. She was living in Mississippi at the time, and I moved down there and I really thought I was going to die that first summer! the heat and humidity was incredible.
Moving to TN was like moving to paradise!

Spent one year in Chicago, that had to been the cold weather I have ever been in!
BRRRRRRRRR!!

Back