I dont know how you guys up north do it....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well im just cutting firewood, and its not the cold thats slowing me down. Its all the stupid snow! its too deep for my tractor to get through so im just cutting close to the road and dragging it out on a sled. sure is a tough way to make a living. Its over my waist when i get off the beaten path.
But what scares me is that im moving to Alabama for 4 years to go to school. I was there last week and it was in the 60's and i was dying i don't know what im gonna do when it actually gets warm.

well im just cutting firewood, and its not the cold thats slowing me down. Its all the stupid snow! its too deep for my tractor to get through so im just cutting close to the road and dragging it out on a sled. sure is a tough way to make a living. Its over my waist when i get off the beaten path.
But what scares me is that im moving to Alabama for 4 years to go to school. I was there last week and it was in the 60's and i was dying i don't know what im gonna do when it actually gets warm.

I hate to scare you, but you aint seen anything yet! I lived for 6 years in Mobile Alabama, and the heat in the summer coupled with the humidity gets pretty bad.
But on the plus side, you get to wear shorts at Christmas time!

"The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in Duluth MN." - Mark Twain

I'm about 85 miles south of Duluth.

I'm with all the other northerners here. The only snakes I can abide are the stump snakes around a logging site.

+20°F = woodbooga going out to the mailbox or the woodshed in T-shirt. I did a little cutting yesterday when it was 30° and all I needed was a sweater with a heavy flannel over it.

Staying warm is a matter of temperment, dressing in layers, and keeping your feet warm and dry. Why my feet are cold, I'm a real wuss.

For as cold as it gets here, I gotta hand it to the MN/Dakota area people. Seems like its always 10° colder there than here.

But, as said before, it's what you're used to. I used to know some Hatians and Puerto Ricans who complained of being chilly when it was 55°. But 2 years later, they were walking around in 0° temps like they were half Esquimeau.

Nice sunny day in the 30's is PERFECT for cutting. Don't even need a coat.:popcorn:

+2, I hate cutting in the summer weather... too hot! I went out the other day in around 30 degree weather and it was perfect.. even broke a bit of a sweat.

In addition to all of the very good reasons posted by my fellow Northerners, I like the winter because it gets dark early and one doesn't have to feel guilty about finishing up outside and being next to the wood stove, beer or scotch in hand, before 5:00pm.

This isn't cold weather!

This isn't cold weather! I grew up in Northern Minnesota. Anyone hear of Bemidji, Walker, Laporte? If you look at a map of MN there is the hump in the top middle. They are aprox .5" below that. When I was a kid (70s & 80s) we'd see -20° for a several days in a row. This -4° isn't too bad. However, now I live in the flat land area and the wind blows just about 24-7-364.5 :help: :help: .......

Any ways......Like others have said.....You can put more layers on.....there is only so much you can take off....:dizzy: I like cutting in 20° and lower w/o the wind. I suppose If I had a facemask then my face might not freeze. I checked at the local farm supply store and they were sold out.

Dan

Around here we get two kinds.
The ittybitty sneaky ones that can grease up and wiggle through window screen mesh, and the Big bastards with the striped legs that just pry the window open, conk ya on the head and take you down a Pint.

Nothing is as satisfying as spraying immadan and having the dying little bastards land convulsing on the tractor hood.

There's nothing more aggravating than repairing a leaky drip line in the field when it's 90 degrees,99% Humidity, stifling calm air, and 40 skeeters are chewing on you like Ethiopians at a chineese Buffet!

Black flies are a pain, but they aren't as organized as the Skeeters around here. I swear they have a damn Union and shift hours!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:greenchainsaw: :yourock:

well, i cut year round don't matter how hot or cold it gets if i got time i go out and cut some wood. coldest i've ever cut is -28*f hottest, unsure.

i cut all winter just finishing a cold snap that lasted a week, was working in -25 to -30, perfect time split wood with the axe. the hottest was up in the +30s where

Here's something to use in the cold weather!

So I do a bit of ice fishing. My buddies & I make an annual trip to Lake of The Woods and do 4 days overnight on the ice. It's something else to get out of bed and take a leak in your skivvies at 40 below... Just make sure your back is to the wind. :)

My uncles all go sturgeon spearing - something I've never had time to do. But here is a real tool-of-the-trade for doing that!

http://madison.craigslist.org/for/1019999913.html

Makes me want to get it!

Sometimes when Iam in the bob house I get a knock on the door from some girls saying they want to see my tip-up:jester:

"The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in Duluth MN." - Mark Twain
should read "San Francisco" Although I get your meaning.

Signed,frustrated English Major.

I think Duluth has S.F beat, when that wind blows in off the lake you better have a jacket. I don't think the surface temperature of the water in Lake Superior ever gets above 45° I drove there once last summer it was 85° out, until we got about 20 miles out of Duluth it dropped 35°'s right now..

Last edited:
I think Duluth has S.F beat, when that wind blows in off the lake you better have a jacket. I don't think the surface temperature of the water in Lake Superior ever gets above 45° I drove there once last summer it was 85° out, until we got about 20 miles out of Duluth it dropped 35°'s right now..

For my part, the extreme cold doesn't bother me hardly at all. The wind, esp. if its coming out of the NW, is another story altogether.

IMO, I'd much rather abide a serene -20° than a +15° day with a biting steady wind of 20mph.

I went Ice fishing once...................

So I do a bit of ice fishing. My buddies & I make an annual trip to Lake of The Woods and do 4 days overnight on the ice. It's something else to get out of bed and take a leak in your skivvies at 40 below... Just make sure your back is to the wind. :)

My uncles all go sturgeon spearing - something I've never had time to do. But here is a real tool-of-the-trade for doing that!

http://madison.craigslist.org/for/1019999913.html

Makes me want to get it!

I went Ice fishing once..............I came back with 10 lbs.........

Of ice!:dizzy: :monkey:

Last night it was about 5 degrees so I was forced to put on a sweatshirt before I went out to the woodshed in my underwear and sneakers (it scares the nosey neighbors away) to grab an armload of logs.

Today it was about 15 degrees, windy, and sunny while we were splitting wood. We got about 2 cord of maple split but, had to spend a half hour pushing snow out of the way and letting the hydraulic oil warm up on the TW-3HD. All of the rounds were frozen solid and popped nicely. I was a little under-dressed for the wind...some thermal bottoms under the Carhartt logger pants would have been nice. I was comfortable as long as I kept moving.

I don't mind the cold as much as I dislike the wind....the snow is starting to wear on me this year too....

Back