I dont know how you guys up north do it....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya'all would laugh your butts off if you could see the locals around here right now. We had an inch of snow or so on Monday, and school has been out all week because of it.
The roads where clear yesterday, but school was still cancelled because of the extreme cold.Low at night was 15 degrees, day time high yesterday was 27.

Ya'all would laugh your butts off if you could see the locals around here right now. We had an inch of snow or so on Monday, and school has been out all week because of it.
The roads where clear yesterday, but school was still cancelled because of the extreme cold.Low at night was 15 degrees, day time high yesterday was 27.

Well, our school closes when temps are below -45C I believe. The windchill is not calculated, only the temperature.

I have a couple of friends from Tennessee that come up duck hunting every year and they have mentioned this phenomenon to me.

As has been said before, it's all relative to one's experiences.

:cheers:

The best time to split wood is when its cold out. About -10f is when it gets good. Just a set of longjohns and a flannel shirt and your good to go!!

Anything above 15 F. without much wind is good cutting. I do all my cutting and milling in the winter and love it that way. Keeps you in shape instead of just watching the boob tube.

Cold is not bad if you get out of the wind. Unless it gets in the negatives I usually just have a pair of thermals under my jeans, tshirt, sweat shirt, hooded jip up sweat jacket and a lined flannel. The flannel usually comes off and the jacket unzipped before we are done cutting. If you are cold you aren't working hard enough (or working the splitter).

If the wind is blowing we cut in the woods, if its not we are cutting fence rows.

If it gets really cold we fall the trees, and drag them up by the buildings to get out of the wind.

Cold is not bad if you get out of the wind. Unless it gets in the negatives I usually just have a pair of thermals under my jeans, tshirt, sweat shirt, hooded jip up sweat jacket and a lined flannel. The flannel usually comes off and the jacket unzipped before we are done cutting. If you are cold you aren't working hard enough (or working the splitter).

Yup. Wind is the real killer. There's a world of difference if I'm in the shelter of the barn versus a part of the yard where's there's no windbreak.

-10° is not too bad if you don't have gusts rubbing your face in it.

Latest posts

Back