I Don't Reuse Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:biggrinbounce2: Sweeet, I check Seattle CL, almost every night, I missed that one.

Some rental places, like Home Depot, replace the chains with each rental. They buy in huge quantities and get them ('ooo' brand?) for just a few dollars each. Compared to paying a tech by the hour to sharpen them, they feel that it is a better deal.

They also don't have to deal with a customer complaining that 'the chain wasn't sharp' when rented.

Me, I hate to see things wasted and will spend a lot of effort to sharpen and salvage a good chain.

Maybe this guy doesn't know how to sharpen? Maybe this is just his cover story to sell used chains he pulled off rentals?

Philbert

Some rental places, like Home Depot, replace the chains with each rental. They buy in huge quantities and get them ('ooo' brand?) for just a few dollars each. Compared to paying a tech by the hour to sharpen them, they feel that it is a better deal.

They also don't have to deal with a customer complaining that 'the chain wasn't sharp' when rented.

Me, I hate to see things wasted and will spend a lot of effort to sharpen and salvage a good chain.

Maybe this guy doesn't know how to sharpen? Maybe this is just his cover story to sell used chains he pulled off rentals?

Philbert

+1

And he may selling them on the side.

I need to check with local rental company (not a chain) because the owner was saying he always put on a new chain. Might be able to pickup some decent chain cheap.

I suspect you're correct regarding the HD thing... I sent him an email saying I'd give him the $10 for the lot of them. He sent me back an email saying these chains are about $30 each at Home Depot.

Sounds to me like he works for HD and is trying to sell the returned retail chains for $10 each. No thanks! :dizzy:

At the last Home Depot I worked in, the chains were replaced every time the saw was rented. The old ones went in the garbage. The store I'm in now doesn't have a rental department.

BTW, this 18" and 20" chain is skip tooth! Anyone need some used skip tooth chain for your <30cc saws??? Only $10 a loop! He has no idea what ga. :popcorn:

Back