I Finally Finished a BIG Job!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm still logging white pine and as my helper is still comeing over, we've been up in the woods!

Here's the first white pine of the day and it's a beauty!!

standard.jpg

I counted 110 rings, so it's an old tree forsure!

standard.jpg

My old 268XP sure has been a good saw!

standard.jpg

And with the limbs cut off and the logs sawn out at 16' 6", i started skidding the logs

standard.jpg

Eariler i poped out this HUGE boulder out of our skidding road and rolled it aside, as there was no way around it!

standard.jpg

And with the log skidded out, i loaded it on my "log hauling" running gear,

standard.jpg

So, with two loads loaded, we headed out where i barely made it up "sugar sand hill" without letting out lots of chain! But we did make it, clawing our way to the top and headed home where my helper started washing the logs,

standard.jpg

And once again, we had some VERY nice logs!

standard.jpg

Now it's time to mill the logs! My helper came over and we've been milling some of those HUGE logs!

I'm now targeting 3x8's as much as possible, so i've been milling some "side" lumber at 2 by what ever i can get, to be used in a couple building projects i have comeing up!

Here's one log at the "cant" stage,

standard.jpg

And here's the 3x8's, and 2x16" side lumber i got off it,

standard.jpg

To maximize the 3x8's out of a cant,

standard.jpg

I get it down to where i can split it into two 8" wide cants, then rolling them 90* and started takeing 3x lumber off,

standard.jpg

Anyway, here's the 3x8's we milled out yesterday,

standard.jpg

Along with all the 5/4 from yesterday and a few days ago,

standard.jpg

all delivered to my customer/friends warehouse and stickered!

standard.jpg

That's a LOT of 3x8's, and a nice stack of 16' 5/4 in the back ground!

standard.jpg

The BEST part of "this" story is, i've now filled the entire materials list for this job! With all the delays, it's been going on for over 2 yrs, and the above is only part of the lumber i've milled for this job!

I can't tell you how happy i am to have this job done!

SR

As always... GREAT pics Sawyer Rob!!!!!

Congrats on having that large project done and behind you!

-Dad2FourWI

Thanks guys, glad you liked the picts...

I thought i'd add a little more to this thread, SO... see the big log in this pict?

standard.jpg

It was left over from the above materials list that i was milling for. Anyway, i needed to build a beam, so i milled that big log "mostly" into 2x14's - 16 feet long, and then put them on stickers. Later when i had the time, i loaded them back on the BSM and resawed them all at the same time, to get some really NICE 2x12's...

standard.jpg

Then i put ratchet straps around them and moved them to a long trailor that i have,

standard.jpg

I bought several sheets of 3/4" CDX plywood on sale some time ago, and brought them out of the shop two at a time, to resaw them into 12" widths,

standard.jpg

Now it's time to get started building the 30 foot beam that i need! So i put down two 2x12's, adding plenty of "liquid nails", and put a layer of CDX on top, useing LOT'S of nails to nail them together!

standard.jpg

and kept adding layers, making sure to alternate the joints,

standard.jpg

With the beam getting pretty thick, i changed to longer and longer nails, so this "palm nailer" really saved my old wore out joints!!

standard.jpg

Until i FINALLY had my 9"x12" - 30 foot beam!

standard.jpg

Glueing nailing layers of ply between the layers of solid wood, greatly increases the strength of a beam, it makes it MUCH stronger, ableing it to carry much greater loads!

So, there's how i used the the lumber from that big log in the pict...

SR

Hello Sawyer Rob!!

Great pics!!!!! :)

Was that log still green when you were building that beam or had it had a chance to dry?

Thanks for sharing!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

The beam will never be in a heated building, so the lumber didn't have to be completely dry, so "no" it wasn't below 20% moisture, but it wasn't completely green either.

That's why i used "liquid nails" for the glue, it glues higher moister lumber just fine and also has exellent gap filling abilities!

SR

Thanks for that info Sawyer Rob!

I notice that you cut lots of White Pine... do you ever use any Red Pine (Norway Pine)?

-Dad2FourWI

Nice job on the beam. Whats the name of the orange pusher over thingy in first pic? Thanks , doug

Nice job on the beam. Whats the name of the orange pusher over thingy in first pic? Thanks , doug

The tree pusher is a "Timber Jack", i got it from Norwood Industries.

I've been milling a lot of white pine lately, because that's what the job i was on called for, also it makes really good construction lumber. I like milling pine, white or red, i've sawn both. Pine just mills up so nice...

SR

Nice post. I've got to do something like that to build a mill shed. Near as I can tell, the only purpose of a tarp is to hold in the moisture. Do you have a log arch? I couldn't believe how much easier it makes pulling logs, and it keeps them cleaner.

Do you have a log arch? I couldn't believe how much easier it makes pulling logs, and it keeps them cleaner.

@Dave

Do you have any pics of your log arch in action? It sounds very interesting...

Thanks,
-Dad2FourWI

@Dave

Do you have any pics of your log arch in action? It sounds very interesting...

Thanks,
-Dad2FourWI

Yes, I have photos, but rather than hijack this thread, I'll start a new one. There should be enough interest for an active thread.

Nice post. I've got to do something like that to build a mill shed. Near as I can tell, the only purpose of a tarp is to hold in the moisture. Do you have a log arch? I couldn't believe how much easier it makes pulling logs, and it keeps them cleaner.

Dave,

I don't have an arch, and i really don't need one. The only time i would have used one was for the pine i just logged, and it was just cheaper/easier to wash the logs. Two pulls on the motor cord, and plenty of water came out to wash the sand away.

If i didn't have the water, an arch sure would keep the logs cleaner, as i have used one in the past.

SR

Thank you for the photos.

Do you have any more of your FEL log forks please? It's something I really need to get for my tractor. Also, the log trailers are something I need also!

How do you find moving around a few smaller logs in one lift over uneven ground? Will the single grab hold them OK without too much log movement? It's a nice big opening you've got on that grab. Did you build this yourself or buy it and if the latter from where?

Thanks.

Back