I have decided on a new ne346xp Husky, now which size bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabberx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have decided on the ne346xp Husky. I am going against my cousin's good deal on a 5100s Dolmar. Mostly because I have two Husky's already and all of your feedback on the 346. Now the question is: I want to run a 3/8 chain, what size sprocket to replace the 325 sprocket,how many teeth on it, and whether to run 16" or 18" bar. I would like to run a 18" because I have a Stihl ms361 with a 18" on it and a few extra chains to spare. Would the Husky have 66 DL like the Stihl? I would sure try a 16" on it if you good people like the balance of it better. Please let feedback. Appreciate your ideas from experienced cutters who use this saw alot.

Thanks again
Rick

Seems like this saws specialty (quick acceleration) lends itself to limbing. For that reason, I'd opt for .325 and 18-20".

Last edited:
Unless you like the reach of an 18-20 inch bar it's just a waste of power to sling the extra chain around and energy to move the saw about.

16" I find is a better match for saws 50cc and under. If you need more than the 16 inch bar for the wood you are cutting you really should be going to a bigger saw.

3/8 7T is a fast setup
.325 8T is likely a hair slower but smother to run. with shorter bar the lighter chain will get up to speed quicker.

3/8 8T is not a stock rim in small spline and would be too much for a 50 cc saw anyway.

My 346 came with an 18” bar .325 chain. I switched it to a 16” bar .325 and put the 18” bar on my Dolmar 5100. If you are going to use the saw primarily for limbing, I would run with the 16” bar. For firewood, stick with the 18. I tried the 3/8 set up on my dolmar (17” bar) and found it cuts much faster with .325. In addition, the little dolmar just loved to throw the 3/8 chain if you used it for limbing. Not sure if you will have a similar problem with the husky and 3/8 chain. Let us know what you end up with.

i run .375 .058 18" its also 68dl. i picked it simply cuse i have a pile of those chains laying around. im sure it would cut a but faster with the .325 16" setup but i just wanted to use my chains. as my dad always says waste not want not.

+1 on the 16"

My 346 came with an 18” bar .325 chain. I switched it to a 16” bar .325 and put the 18” bar on my Dolmar 5100. If you are going to use the saw primarily for limbing, I would run with the 16” bar. For firewood, stick with the 18. I tried the 3/8 set up on my dolmar (17” bar) and found it cuts much faster with .325. In addition, the little dolmar just loved to throw the 3/8 chain if you used it for limbing. Not sure if you will have a similar problem with the husky and 3/8 chain. Let us know what you end up with.

I switched mine from the .325 .50 18" to ,325 .58 16" and it hauls butt through the cut!

Al :cheers:

I am still using the stock 95VP .325 on a 16" bar and it cuts just fine, 3/8 would be an improvement probably and definately make the sharpening process go smoother.

I wouldnt go with an 18 but thats just me I like the balance and weight I have with 16.

I think its perfect and really dont see that little extra chain making much real world difference out in the trees. jmo

Kansas

Unless you like the reach of an 18-20 inch bar it's just a waste of power to sling the extra chain around and energy to move the saw about.

16" I find is a better match for saws 50cc and under. If you need more than the 16 inch bar for the wood you are cutting you really should be going to a bigger saw. .....

Totally agree! :agree2:

Some times I feel like I am the only one that care......

You're not the only one, but it is rare. Having several saws makes it a lot easier to optimize the bar length for performance and balance. Someone who can only afford one or two saws will likely max out the bar length.

Back