I have decided on a new ne346xp Husky, now which size bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had no idea you could even get a 32" bar on a small mount husky. i couldnt imagine the 455 with one lol. when i had a 372 with the 32 inch bar i thought it was ok but the 455 lol. when i got mine i went with an 18 cuse i thought the 20 was too much.

If you go to a 3/8 chain you will have to change the bar also. The OEM chain and bar is special narrow kerf chain only. Why would you want to slow that saw down with a 3/8 chain?
ZG

ne346xp

I will go with the 16" bar for sure, just undecided on changing over to 3/8". I like the bigger chain because of those big chips flying, just seems faster. But because of limbing and small bucking maybe I will just stay with the 325 chain. STILL UNDECIDED. I can't see where it would be much slower with the 3/8 but you gentlemen that use them day to day know how they do. A little more feedback on the size chain would be appreciated. I can always go one way then switch but like to try and start out one way and stay with it .

Thanks again for all your help.
Rick

Yup, balance of the saw is important :chainsawguy:

Bingo! :agree2:

Some times I feel like I am the only one that care..........:biggrinbounce2:

I like it that my SP125 w/36" B/C balances well...:D

attachment.php

I have the Jred 2153 version with 18" bar running .325 .058 chain and don't find any balance problems. I do appreciate the longer bar when limbing as I don't have to bend as much. It has quickly become the first saw I grab out of the truck.

I would NOT move up to 3/8". The saws best features are high rpm, strong upper mid-range power, and FAST chain speed(s). No need to drag around more weight and have a larger cutting area. I have not personally ran the 346XP. I would probably go with the 16" .325 deal, and use it for limbing and material up to about 12-14". Then the 262XP or 268XP would come out of the truck.

That saw should be a BEAST with the 16" bar and smaller chain....IMHO....Cliff

My 346XP came with an 18" bar and .325 chain, and that was good because that was what I wanted. After running a couple of gallons of gas through it here are my impressions.

I think the bar and chain size I have is the biggest I would put on this saw. I have cut up to 20" hard seasoned oak with it, but you have to pay attention to how it wants to run (wide open), and if you do it will drop right through big wood. If you don't it will quickly bog down.

I think it would actually be a happier, better saw, with a 16" .325 bar and chain.

I have never run a 3/8" chain, but it seems to me it would put more drag on the saw to pull a wider chain through the wood. The 346XP does not take well to drag, especially if it made the rpm drop. Just MHO.

i had no idea you could even get a 32" bar on a small mount husky. i couldnt imagine the 455 with one lol. when i had a 372 with the 32 inch bar i thought it was ok but the 455 lol. when i got mine i went with an 18 cuse i thought the 20 was too much.

Wrong thread? :greenchainsaw:

It's not the kerf size as both 325 and 3/8 are almost the same it's the torque applyed to the chain that make 325 cut faster on stock 50cc saws as the 325 is geared down compared to 3/8. Steve

I am still using the stock 95VP .325 on a 16" bar and it cuts just fine, 3/8 would be an improvement probably and definately make the sharpening process go smoother.

I wouldnt go with an 18 but thats just me I like the balance and weight I have with 16.

I think its perfect and really dont see that little extra chain making much real world difference out in the trees. jmo

Kansas

What did I do die and come back as someone else this sounds just like me? :dizzy:

Kansas (I think)

It's not the kerf size as both 325 and 3/8 are almost the same it's the torque applyed to the chain that make 325 cut faster on stock 50cc saws as the 325 is geared down compared to 3/8. Steve
Not if the .325 rim is an 8-pin, and the 3/8" one a 7-pin.......:greenchainsaw:

That link is about 3/8" low profile - not relevant in this thread.........

I think the comparison is quite relevant ant. This is a 3/8 to 3/8 comparison with the main difference of cutter weight and design. The reported results are a 20% increase in cutting speed.

The comparison between .325 and 3/8 chain is in the same direction. The .325 chain is smaller, lighter and uses less horsepower to run. More HP is left over to kept the chain at a speed higher.

The new 346XP uses a .325 narrow kerf H30. This chain removes about 30% less wood from the cut resulting in less horsepower demand to run the chain. More reserve HP to keep chain speeds up.

The only reason I could think of changing to a 3/8 chain is cutter durability. This might be true, but you don't know because it has not been tested. One more reason not to move a 3/8 chain, safety. All of the development and testing to national standards have been done on .325 H30 chain.
ZG

Back