I Have Not Seen a Mouse in Nearly 6 Years...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's why: I delegated the problem a few years back to Lady, my flat-coated retriever, who then took over:
Lady2.jpg

Caption: "Please show me a rodent, big guy. It's mine!"

Same here.

Come to think of it, I have not seen any around here either, different reason, well kind of................

attachment.php

Come to think of it, I have not seen any around here either, different reason, well kind of...
Before I acquired Lady, I told my neighbor, who owned two declawed and neutered cats, that I was willing to feed a wild tomcat. The mice were driving me nuts. She said, "Forget the tomcat. They are a menace."

I said, "OK. Time for a retriever."

She figured I was bluffing. HaHaHa!

cool dog ,i had a cat (died this spring)that was a certifed rodent slayer
seemed like it took the life of every small framed creature within a 2 mile radius of my home on a daily basis .i got a new one that im teaching now who has some big shoes to fill once the weather breaks

cool dog ,i had a cat (died this spring)that was a certifed rodent slayer
seemed like it took the life of every small framed creature within a 2 mile radius of my home on a daily basis .i got a new one that im teaching now who has some big shoes to fill once the weather breaks
My wood pile used to have half dozen mouse nests in it, and they would often jump out as I brought in wood. This year, I noticed only one nest in my huge pile. It was empty.

Lady also watches while I bring in the gold to the stove. I believe the mice now have the fear of God instilled in their bones. :greenchainsaw:

My wood pile used to have half dozen mouse nests in it, and they would often jump out as I brought in wood. This year, I noticed only one nest in my huge pile. It was empty.

Lady also watches while I bring in the gold to the stove. I believe the mice now have the fear of God instilled in their bones. :greenchainsaw:

Cool animals...
I believe your right, with her watching the "gold" head into the house, they have no unseen way of escape, so It's "every mouse for himself" and bail!
:cheers:

Our Golden is the Perpetual Hunter

Anything that moves is fair game to him. I was shocked to see him chase a moose out of my neighbors yard one day. I have no idea how, but he can find a field mouse under two feet of snow.

004.jpg

MaxTV014.jpg

Good lookin' dog!

I may have you beat, though, for the ultimate mouse destruction system. Mine costs me nothing in food or vet bills, can never throw up or crap in my house, and requires no work on my part: the neighbor's cats!

One of his three cats:
Claire.jpg

I started out with my wood stacked like this, and had all sorts of mouse problems.
7900_28_Maul.jpg

But a couple years ago I went to the 2x4 on block system, which left enough room for the cats to hang out under the piles on hot afternoons or during summer rainstorms.
DSCF3577Medium.jpg

So far this year, I've not seen a single mouse in the garage (the neighbor cats go in there, too) or in/around the woodpile, and I've only found one nest in the wood this year...in some stuff that was still stacked on a pallet, interestingly.

Mrs Il Gato (Slim Shady) gets the job done around here. Quite the mouser and as you can see, planting assistant.
attachment.php

Last edited:
the farm my father in law works at will not trap the mink thats hanging out because it keeps that rats away. it would work for mice too i bet, youd just have to keep wifey from getting ideas about an expensive coat.

I never know what this cat might drag up to the front door to play with

fatso.jpg

Anything that moves is fair game to him. I was shocked to see him chase a moose out of my neighbors yard one day. I have no idea how, but he can find a field mouse under two feet of snow.

004.jpg

MaxTV014.jpg
Ah a hunting Golden hard to find yet super dogs my best Friend calls Austin a natural born killer as he tried to get the fancy fish in his fish tank.My best friend does not let dogs in his home but for some reason he welcomes and spoils my dog Austin my dog and really my best Friend!
But it is funny how a dog can even persuade a non dog person? He say's it's because he is such a great retriever and hunter.

Good lookin' dog!

I may have you beat, though, for the ultimate mouse destruction system. Mine costs me nothing in food or vet bills, can never throw up or crap in my house, and requires no work on my part: the neighbor's cats!

One of his three cats:

Claire.jpg

When did we become neighbors? No kidding when I saw this I thought it was my cat! I'll try and get a pic of him up for comparison later.

Last edited:

004.jpg

MaxTV014.jpg
Love the Pic's I am a hard core Golden guy myself. As to the mouse thing he watches the Coyotes and learns from them? They do get bored and love to hunt by them selves.

Dog's have an uncanny sense of smell

The reason the retrievers and others can find the mice under the snow is because they have an uncanny sense of smell, I believe estimated at anywhere between 100 and 1000 times more sensitive than humans. They can also hear them better than we can--same sensitivity as the sense of smell.

Heck, Lady even sees better than I do. I've also been told that female dogs are better mousers and ratters than the males, but that's really debatable. My grandpa's male farm dog (a fox hound) could snap rats' necks faster than any dog I have ever seen. Lady is also a bit more agile and smaller than your average retriever, and that works to her advantage for small game.

I keep Lady lean and am careful not to overfeed. She receives measured portions, and if I did not do that, she would eat me out of house and home. Her appetite is insatiable.

The reason the retrievers and others can find the mice under the snow is because they have an uncanny sense of smell, I believe estimated at anywhere between 100 and 1000 times more sensitive than humans. They can also hear them better than we can--same sensitivity as the sense of smell.

Heck, Lady even sees better than I do. I've also been told that female dogs are better mousers and ratters than the males, but that's really debatable. My grandpa's male farm dog (a fox hound) could snap rats' necks faster than any dog I have ever seen. Lady is also a bit more agile and smaller than your average retriever, and that works to her advantage for small game.

I keep Lady lean and am careful not to overfeed. She receives measured portions, and if I did not do that, she would eat me out of house and home. Her appetite is insatiable.
My Golden is like that too, but he wont touch a Deer or Elk that is hung up. If he found one lying in a field he would pretend to be a hungry wolf and eat his body wight in game! Both me and my elderly neighbor( her cat is half mountain lion) worry about the Cat& Dog they make a scary team 20lb big red tom cat and a 78lb Golden, Dream team when it comes to critters be it a Coyote or mouse lol. But they grew up together I wonder how the cat would do on grouse? I have to get some pics of the dynamic duo sitting on the deck.
They really get along together and seem to need each others company.
P.S my dog can hear a sandwich being unrwapped from 50yds or smell it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back