I Have Not Seen a Mouse in Nearly 6 Years...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i bought my house mice were crazy.A kitten wondered up when i was
building my garage >long hair turned out to Murder everything spiders
mice and birds he died about 5 years ago.Now i have 5 cats they stay
outside most of the time.There is not a living thig around my house that
a cat can kill. i have to have cats with all the corn fields.

My black lab doesn't hunt critters at all. We do have a calico kitty that is an excellent hunter. We moved here two years ago and that cat went to town on the rodent population! I don't see any mice or gophers anymore, but she still brings them to the door occasionally. My neighbors tell me she is working on their rodent population now.

BTW- I mentioned to the vet that the calico girl cat does all the hunting and that her brother not so much. He said that's normal, the girl cats generally do all the hunting. The males will do it if they want/have to.
Dok

I have 3 dogs all Heinz 57 but the one is half coyote, between her and her two partners nothing makes it through my back yard. I watched two of them share a groundhog one evening. They will put a coon up a tree and literally take shifts of watching the thing, even if it takes days, one of them will stay on that tree until it comes down, or I shoot it down. They wouldn't hurt a person for anything, but they don't act that way, which is just the way I like it. The coyote can sure make your skin crawl when she sneaks up behind you and cuts loose with a howl.

Flat-Coated Retriever

my golden is still in training but she is already one hell of a dog.
Well, you and Larry might understand when I tell you that flat-coated retrievers and goldens are second or third cousins. The flat coat reminds me a little of a smaller, jet black golden but the flat-coat muzzles are usually narrower. Both are fabulous gun dogs. Only black or dark liver colors are acceptable on flat coats--never a mixture of either.

The flat coat is far more rare than the golden and few people even know about them. Very few breeders exist. Take a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-Coated_Retriever

Wikipedia is wrong in a couple of cases. Lady can be left alone for hours in our house and she destroys nothing while guarding the house like a hawk. She waits patiently until we return, and must have a bladder the size of a watermelon. Here is the house that I built for her outside using cedar and redwood:
LadysHouse.jpg

I really like this picture of her:
Lady1.jpg

Caption: I never met a Golden I didn't like.

My guy is going to turn 10 soon How time flies!Scary thing is he has not slowed down.

Exactly. Good genetics and good food make a huge difference. The two older ones, although "mature", still play like puppies, everyday. They are a joy to watch!

They are out playing in the snow and will just hang out there, just laying in it or whatever for a long time.

The 10 week old (that we bred, sired by a beautiful Am/Can Ch) is at a friend's kennel for socialization with a couple other littermates that will be kept close. It will be good to get her home, but potty training in the snow SUCKS, especially at night! LOL

I think of Flat Coats as "Black Golden Retrievers", really very similar.

Last edited:
We have a yellow eyed long hair calico cat. The meanest cat I have ever met. We had to get her declawed – she was a shredder. I didn’t want to because she was such a good hunter. It was like silent spring around the house. A couple weeks after the declawing (when she started walking right) she brought home a dead rat with the biggest f-you look on her face. My Chesapeake Bay retriever doesn’t even mess with her. She is the only cat so far that hasn’t run away, yet…

1 golden hunts other watches & sleeps

Although our 2 dogs are only a couple of years apart and have the same mother their personalities are world's apart.
The older darker one, Dzintra, is a spittin image of her mom and even loves racket balls fetching all day long just like her mom, The other lighter coated one, Skaija, is much more laid back and follows Dzintra around.

Dzintra sniffs out the prey and Skaija chases it as she is much faster. Skaija has caught and killed a rabbit in our yard.

Up North Dzintra will chase a squirrel up a tree and then search more trees for more squirrels by looking up at them. Several times she has grossed me out by greeting me with legs of some rodent sticking out of her mouth.Yuck.

Either of the dogs will wake up and run to the door to chase off a rabbit that is in the back yard over 60' away. They will also sit and watch for the rabbits even though I can not see them unless I turn a flashlight on.
Golden Retrievers and their cousins are great hunters and their senses amaze me all the time.

The photo is up North at cabin in 24" of snow
attachment.php

We threw Dzintra's racket ball into the snow and she likes to dig around for it.
When she leaves a ball outside and it gets covered with snow she still has no trouble finding it.

If you feed a cat it becomes worthless.
Last night my wife's cat laid in front of the fire and watched a mouse slip across the living room. The mouse wasn't scared, the cat didn't care.
This cat used to be the queen of all mousers.
I told my wife that the pet food bill was fixing to be drasticly reduced.

Andy

If you feed a cat it becomes worthless.
Last night my wife's cat laid in front of the fire and watched a mouse slip across the living room. The mouse wasn't scared, the cat didn't care.

This cat used to be the queen of all mousers. I told my wife that the pet food bill was fixing to be drasticly reduced.

Andy
Sounds like a fat cat in the making. They don't do well at politics either. They feast on pork and after that, nothing else means much. :popcorn:

i wish my dog ate mice, nope.

he will take a groundhog righ down though so its not a total loss:greenchainsaw:

Back