I just became a bi.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've owned only a few chainsaws in my life, but never more than one at a time. I'm now a certified bisawsual, and what's more, I'm a swinger - I have an Echo and now a Husky. I'm very happy with it. It's a cute little 14" 235 (whatever that means) and it was the smallest Husky at Lowes. (Following Avalancher's advice, I didn't get a green saw) I even already cut up a large branch that fell in my yard a couple days ago.

Unfortunately, I don't think I've quite caught that CAD stuff that's been going around. I understand that usually comes after a certain income level is reached (which I'm quite short of at the moment), but I do have a question for y'all - what are the vital reasons for having more than two saws? Not for my own reasoning of course, but for convincing the wife. She holds one of the purse strings, and I can't get the purse open far enough on my own to get all the tools I want.

ConGrats!!..

I don't think income level has anything to do with CAD,, it can't be avoided it just happens. It's like catching a cold that never goes away.. I myself only have a mild case of CAD. I started out with a brand spankin new MS180.. wow how exciting it was, not only but 4-5 months later was I buying a ported MS310 from someone on this site. Everyday I check the local listings for a "good deal".. It's taken alot of will power for me to hold back my mild CAD into becoming worst. I mean who couldn't use a 45cc Poulan for $75.. or an older 266 for $225.. So far I've been very good.. but it's wearing thin..

I'm still keeping my eye on ebay for a Makita 6401,, I've seen them go cheap!!.. do I need 1.. Naw.. Want 1 ... Hell Yeah!!

Good luck and keep up the battle.. hopefully it won't wear you out!!

Depends on how much wood you cut and how big, I don't have cad so i have what i need for the amount of trees i cut and the size too. My 460 will handle all the trees i cut around here so no need for a 660. Been using the 036 in 20 inch oak the last couple of days and it's plenty big enough. Now i will have to break out the 460 later as some of the trees are 40 inches across. Now there are a couple that i would like to have but untill one of mine dies it won't get bought. Do you cut any big trees if so you need a decent size saw and maybe a smaller one for limbing. Also if you only use a saw once every two years then any saw will work.

Trust... Income has NOTHING to do with CAD. I started with a Meager budget totally befitting my current Financial Status. And for some odd reason, I managed to come up with the cash to Buy 4 Saws.

I started with a Lowly 55. Which perfectly fit my budget and proved itself a great saw. After two weeks and about 4-5 cords of wood cut, I realized I needed a Smaller saw for limbing.

Enter the Echo 3450 I paid $65 for. Swapped out the 16" B&C with a 12" from Baileys for $7.95. WOW, that little saw slices through the stuff quick. I even use it when I don't feel like lifting the bigger saws to cut up some 16 to 20" stuff. Cuts right nice.

Then... After smoking my 55 Piston and replacing it, I desired a saw bigger then the Echo, yet smaller than the 55. hence a 51 with a melted Piston enters my life. Now that is one smooth running saw. I fitted it with a 16" B&C and she cuts wonderfully.

Along the way, I saw some big Oak laying around. I decided, lets make that 55 earn her Gas Mix. Started cutting. Cut up all the 14-22" pieces but got down to that 30" trunk and had an epiphany. This thing just aint got the stones to slice through this big beast of a trunk. Thus comes the 394XP. after her acting all iffy and carbureterish on me I decided, what the heck. I can get it to start and she will pull chain WOT. SO I'll get her running, and keep her running while I cut this beast. Halfway through the 1st cut, SHe Burped. Must've been a clog in the carb or something, because she just smoothed right on up and at Idle she finally kept runnin'

So Here I am. 4 Saws Later 16 Cords of wood stacked and drying, and I am set to never pay for Natural Gas again. :) And Eyeing 9 more trees to take down.

Oh, and My monthly income would make ANY grown man Cry. LOL.

Now, I think, I'll sell some of this wood to that last minute person who feels the winter chills and will pay me what I want (almost) to stay warm for less than that Natural gas will cost 'em

So there is my reason for having 4 saws. And I am fighting my CADDISHNESS as I strongly desire a 'lil ole Echo 370/400 for the stable to replace my 3450. LOL.

There's nothing wrong with being bisawsual.

Provided, of course, by "bi" you're simply referring to the colors orange and white existing on the same saw.

Sadly, or gratefully, Im not sure which, I have not been affected with CAD, I run what I need, and keep my eye out for good deals to upgrade what I have.
My 455 is probably the only saw that i dont need, it was replaced by the 357xp, and has sat there ever since.I keep meaning to sell it off, but I also hate to go cut without a back up saw.Rarely have I needed one, in fact that 455 hasnt been ran 20 minutes since I parked it.

when I go cut, I load all 4 saws.Echo for brush, 357 for most of the cutting, and the 372 when things get big.Dont really need anything bigger than the 372,rarely do I run into stuff I cant get with a 28 inch bar.

Congrats! I still own only 1 saw, but would like to get another... just need to spend some time researching what would meet my needs, as I'm still a noob at all this. My Echo was bought at HD, b/c at the time I didn't know any better and was looking to do mostly trim work and maybe take down a few smaller trees in the backyard. A year or so later, I learn about wood burning stoves, the ability to heat your home with them, and then found this site to learn even way more. Now, been trying to contain myself on what to buy before I buy too much! :dizzy: At this point, I don't see getting into the business of selling firewood, as I have a hard enough time trying to get wood for myself. I'll probably add one more saw in the near future and those 2 should last me some time.

what are the vital reasons for having more than two saws? Not for my own reasoning of course, but for convincing the wife. She holds one of the purse strings, and I can't get the purse open far enough on my own to get all the tools I want.

Cant get a 1/2 inch nut off with a 3/8 sized socket!! Partially having the right tool for the job. Having the option to cut your pinched saw out from that log or in my case 2 saws stuck at the same time and having to use the 3rd to get them both out.. that was a long day. Its easier for me to take 3 saws to were iam going compared to changing bars, rims or anything else. That and sometimes ill start off with the 371xp and when i start to get tired i drop to the 51 and when iam really tired i drop down to the 137.. then its really time for a break. I would like to trade off the 51 for a 359 but the 51 is still a screamer and a darn good saw so i dont think that will ever happen. Ohh and i to have different kinds of brands. The little stihl is reserved for cuttin posts and for my father to run just cause i expect the chain to hit the ground and nails. He knows to leave the Husqy's alone.

Last edited:
That is a menage'a'saw to be technically correct. A German, Swede, and Japanese.

That's funny. Sounds like it could be the premise of a French voyeuristic ethnic flick.

hee-hee. Chainsaw p ron.

Title that one "Come See. Come Saw." Probably could go with an alternate spelling of "come" but I don't wanna get in trouble. :)

as crashagn said--two saws at least---as ive stuck one, and needed the other to get it out--it happens. and as he said---ive also stuck two, and had to get the third!!!! as said--------mighty long day--dang....luckily, i bent no bars, nor ruined any of the chains------------------- you need at least two if your going to do any amount of sawing if you have a wood burning stove--serious.

That's funny. Sounds like it could be the premise of a French voyeuristic ethnic flick.

hee-hee. Chainsaw p ron.

Title that one "Come See. Come Saw." Probably could go with an alternate spelling of "come" but I don't wanna get in trouble. :)

Now we know what woodbooga does in his free time, and with his free......
Ummm,never mind.

Sorry woodbooga, i tried to resist.

Last edited:
Why I am, now that you mention it. Been eating a lot of veggies from the garden - and 3 ears of corn from the local farmstand last nite.:fart:

Must be using different dictionary than me.

Word Origin & History

feisty
1896, Amer.Eng. from feist "small dog,"

Must be using different dictionary than me.

Word Origin & History

feisty
1896, Amer.Eng. from feist "small dog,"

My in-laws have a Jack Russel. Farts a lot.

If you have a moment, let's us take a step into the ole way back machine and turn back time.

Thor, back in the days of the Norman Conquest, broght along a small farting dog with him o'er the Channel. Living in such close quarters on board the knarr, Thor's fellow Viking shipmates named the little farting dog Fiesty. And the name stuck.

In the immortal words of the late great Paul Harvey...

Now you know the rest of the story. G'day.

My in-laws have a Jack Russel. Farts a lot.

If you have a moment, let's us take a step into the ole way back machine and turn back time.

Thor, back in the days of the Norman Conquest, broght along a small farting dog with him o'er the Channel. Living in such close quarters on board the knarr, Thor's fellow Viking shipmates named the little farting dog Fiesty. And the name stuck.

In the immortal words of the late great Paul Harvey...

Now you know the rest of the story. G'day.

Been looking for my hip boots all day......

Back