I just had to join...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer75

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK, I've been a longtime reader of this forum and really like and appreciate all the solid intel to be gleaned from a bunch of VERY smart saw guys!!! (what a resource you guys are!!!)

But if I wanted to see pictures I needed to join up.

Well anyway I've been a Stihl guy for a long time. I got my first 031AV back in 1976, and when it was time to get another saw I got an 029 Super and an 018c. (I also have an HT 101 Pole Pruner and an FS 90-R trimmer)

But I bought an Echo CS-400 a couple years ago and REALLY like it. (mainly got tired of hoisting that 029 Super for anything short of limbing - and I ain't as young as I used to be...)

I swapped out the stock bar and chain when the saw was new for an ArborMax with a no-safety semi-chisel chain and was generally very happy with the saw as it was.

But..., I got to reading the post on how to muffler mod the CS-400 and couldn't resist, so yesterday I did it. (not in 20 min or so like some can, but I got it done anyway...)

A little fine tuning on the H/L and WOW... I cannot believe the difference this has made. It is just awesome!!!

So a huge THANK YOU for that thread and all the posters who discussed the precess. It was really very helpful.

I cut some standing dead red elm today (about 12"-14" stuff) and I was almost disappointed when the saw needed refueled! A ton of fun!!!

I have no way of knowing what the gain was speed-wise, but it was REAL noticeable.

I've never done anything aside from upgrading bars and chains to a saw, so this kind of tinkering was a whole big deal to me. VERY glad I decided to take the plunge.

Thanks again - this Echo CS-400 RAWKS!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcomes!

Yeah, I've been so impressed with this saw all around, the way this saw starts so easy and is a little workhorse, etc., that I have a CS-330T on the way. I got it off Ebay and it said it was used and from a liquidation sale. The pictures looked like it hadn't been used so I hope it was just a display model.

It's like Christmas in October!!!

Muff modded my MS290 after joining this site. It is the newer version of your 029 super. It really woke that saw up too. I was so impressed with that one that the first thing that I did to the Jred 2036 turbo that I bought, CAD has struck, was mod the muff. It really woke that one up as well.

I haven't modded the muffs on my 031AV and Dolmar 114 because the muffs already have openings that appear to be as large or larger than the exhaust ports.

Welcome to the site and enjoy. :msp_thumbup:

You've had it now!! Go ahead and start laying up some funds for degree wheel, Foredom/Dremel, bits for Foredom/Dremel, polishing supplies, etc. Back in the Hotrod days the first and cheapest hp was to add dual ex. Same thing with most saws.
Shep

You forgot

You've had it now!! Go ahead and start laying up some funds for degree wheel, Foredom/Dremel, bits for Foredom/Dremel, polishing supplies, etc. Back in the Hotrod days the first and cheapest hp was to add dual ex. Same thing with most saws.
Shep

You left out a milling machine, tig welder, front end loader and tractor, dump truck and dump trailer, 50 ton splitter with log loader..and a small modest 20 acre woodlot....and a fiskars! ;)

i never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be running a 40cc a lot and liking it but my Echo Cs400 saws (quite a few and I've sold quite a few, easy to sell after people run them) changed my mind after the muff modds. As one guy said on another site said it's like going from Clark Kent to Superman. Steve

Golf is expensive, you pay a lot of money to get pissed off. With chainsaws you get the satifaction of getting a non running saw running and you can sell some saws to offset the cost buying of them . Steve

Last edited:
Golf is expensive, you pay a lot of money to get pissed off. With chainsaws you get the satifaction of getting a non running saw running and you can sell some saws to offset the cost buying of them . Steve

You sell saws? I thought the idea was to buy and keep as many as you can. :smile2:

With the night and day difference the muffler mod had on my CS-400, I think I'll enjoy it for a bit then might do one on my 029 Super.

Russhd1997; Do you recall if there were any specific things I need to take note of when doing the 029 or was it fairly straight forward?

Thanks!

With the night and day difference the muffler mod had on my CS-400, I think I'll enjoy it for a bit then might do one on my 029 Super.

Russhd1997; Do you recall if there were any specific things I need to take note of when doing the 029 or was it fairly straight forward?

Thanks!

Good info in these treads.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177507.htm?highlight=ms290
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/66105.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/176046.htm

Last edited:
Thank you. I read through the links and they were very helpful. I'll probably do something to the 029 Super down the line a bit.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back