I knew the was a reason why I hate Vice grips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been a fan of American-made products, especially their tools and trucks. I have always found that Vicegrips are THE last resort for many jobs and could always be counted on. I've worn a few sets out over the years and have never bought any overseas brands, seeing their lousy workmanship and inferior metals.

I try to go out of my way to buy things that are NOT made in China, even if it means paying double or more, knowing that doing so will help our domestic economy and help slow the tipping of the scales towards Asia. I have no regrets about buying superior products from North America but always feel guilty when being forced to buy cheap junk from China when there are no other options.

Shame on Rubbermaid and other companies that only see the bottom line and shame on the shareholders who only vote with their wallets. We are in for a very rude awakening here, and soon, if we keep this up!

I found when I was in Europe if you look to see were something was made it was made in that country or a neighboring or close country even the flat ware eating dinner I would look close at it here most say's made in China but over there it was made someware in Europe. Except for cars alot of Jap stuff on the roads but that is not all bad they make the best small cars if you ask me,And bikes.

I admit that I have been a big fan of Vice grip brand tools, my dad bought a set of Vice Grip curved jaw pliers in 1952 while working on a wooden water pipe project and used them to hold the hoop bands together, I still have them and they work excellent. I have purchased 40 sets and have them in every tool box I own along with the big jaw types used for welding and have never worn a set out to date. I have always looked for the Peterson signature stamped on the handle and if they move production overseas I wont buy another set from them. I do not knowingly buy or own a tool that was made outside of the USA or Canada and started buying my hand tools while still in high school. My first set of combination wrenches were Grey Bonnie as well as my first 1/2" drive socket set, when they became hard to find Snap On became my brand with some Proto and Challenger stuff as well. My tools have served me well and still do every day and it will be a cold day in H--L before I buy hand tools from the big C. Pioneerguy600

Wall Mart

Remember a while back there was a long running thread here about Wall Mart? It went on for a long time and many pages. I have never set foot in a Mall Wart, I see how they have had a huge hand in beating on American workers.

Now this, where are the Wall Matr defenders, speaking up about "free enterprise" and all that? Another good old American company bites the dust, and the hands that feed it, how very sad.

Remember a while back there was a long running thread here about Wall Mart? It went on for a long time and many pages. I have never set foot in a Mall Wart, I see how they have had a huge hand in beating on American workers.

Now this, where are the Wall Matr defenders, speaking up about "free enterprise" and all that? Another good old American company bites the dust, and the hands that feed it, how very sad.

well....i just ordered some hard to find parts for my "older" chainsaw from wal-marts parts department. no one else has the parts.....but, they did.

well....i just ordered some hard to find parts for my "older" chainsaw from wal-marts parts department. no one else has the parts.....but, they did.
Your kidding... I can't believe they had to order your part, Wally World here has a complete parts dept. and a full time gold certified Wild Thing Tech on duty. 24+7.:greenchainsaw:

It's hardly Wal Mart's fault. Wal Mart and the manufacturers will provide whatever quality and price points the consumer is willing to buy.

Put $5 no name Chinese locking pliers next to $10 made in USA Vise Grips on the shelf and guess what gets sold?

What's sad is that the average US consumer doesn't care about quality or country or origin. They'll grub for the lowest price even if it means their neighbors will loose their jobs.

The person to blame is usually the one in the mirror.

It's hardly Wal Mart's fault. Wal Mart and the manufacturers will provide whatever quality and price points the consumer is willing to buy.

Put $5 no name Chinese locking pliers next to $10 made in USA Vise Grips on the shelf and guess what gets sold?

What's sad is that the average US consumer doesn't care about quality or country or origin. They'll grub for the lowest price even if it means their neighbors will loose their jobs.

Maybe some will grab the cheap junk, but I value the skin on my knuckles to much to do so. I have bought cheap China junk for some of my "special" tools that I have created. About all my clutch tools used for removing and installing clutches were made from cheap sockets with my old American made Delta Rockwell grinder. I can't bring myself to hack up a good old Snap on socket, Speaking of Snap On. They closed down the plant close to me and moved south of the border. It's not just vise grip that committed treason.

I totally agree on this point, it's very sad that the vast majority of people don't care or realize what impact this kind of thinking has in the big picture. I will and have paid double and triple for quality products made in North America (my preferred buying generally goes Canada first, USA second, Europe third, Asia - I can do without). It's not just about quality it's also about putting money back into OUR economy and keeping Canadian/American workers employed earning good wages. It comes full cycle - if the general populations views and actions on this don't change we will all be working at Wal-Mart to purchase our Chinese products from Walmart...............

I don't like Wall Mart, they are traitors to the U.S. But, as some just said, it ain't Wall Marts fault, its the folks who buy there, true.
Just like buying cocaine, the money goes to people who are not very nice, so it is buying Chinese stuff. Those who buy cocaine or Chinese stuff are hurting thier nation, so they can get high or feel good about saving a few bucks.

I think the Waltons were actually ChiCom agents who started the ultimate infiltration of America, which is only now being belatedly noticed.

Thats the splash from the cover of my next book.

:givebeer:

At least WalMart is an American company. Whats stopping China or Dubai etc. from starting or buying a large retail company especially with the low value of the dollar. Eventually the world will be like one big country the world is too small already! I sure do feel good sharing the wealth our country has built up with blood sweat and tears for over 200 years with all the undeveloped countries. Good for them bad for us.

hands down would rather pay $18 for a used US made Crecent wrench vs a new Chinese one for $14...

in fact I have no problems continuing buying used American made visegrips.

We need a poll. Would you buy a US made 12" Crescent Wrench in Very Good used condition for $18 or a brand new Crescent 'branded' 12" crescent made in China for $14.

Oddly, after 2 years the Chinese made wrench will be $20, once all US competition has been eliminated...

Pretty much everything Newell gets involved with, moves to China.
My boss used to work for them and he lost his job when they moved out. He also laid most of the blame on Wal-Mart, said that after they got so committed to supplying Wal-mart that Wally world then began to tell them what price they would pay. And if they didn't like it then they could hit the door.
Problem was that Rubbermaid had invested so much in equipment and facilities just to supply Wal-Mart, they couldn't afford to walk away. So then Newell came to the rescue and bought them out. Help like that, I can do without.

I guess we need to boycott Wal-mart Too!!!!! I dont have a problem with that!!!!! _ _ _k them all & let em all eat fishheads and rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox:

Your kidding... I can't believe they had to order your part, Wally World here has a complete parts dept. and a full time gold certified Wild Thing Tech on duty. 24+7.:greenchainsaw:

Boom! LOL LOL Lol!!!! That's funny.

Back