I knew the was a reason why I hate Vice grips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well that just sucks.... I use them a fair amount in some applications... now I wonder how the china quality=CRAP will do for them... I guess I had better horde a few of the last US made ones.

I'm betting the quality won't suffer, but the jobs are gone and the $$ are transfered to another country's bank account....

Disgrace

Another example of corporate greed causing an American corporation to turn their backs on the very people that created their success. I will never again buy Vise-Grips and hope the company's decision to move production to China comes back to bite them.

PS. Vise-Grips have their place in a tool box - just not as the first line of defense.

300 people for a whole factory? I would have thought there would be more than that. I wonder how many factories they have.

that's truly sad... yet another american icon moves to lowest cost production location.

if vise grip was still owned by original family... odds are they would still be loyal to their workers...

don't believe the .. vice grip had to move to stay compititive... Irwin/Rubbermaid moved to increase profits... Global companies should not be rewarded for this type behavior.

Vise grip has no compitition... the patents have long ran out... the only other locking plier better is made by Klien. Snap-on's version is only marginally better at 3x the price.

Irwin is part of Newell Rubbermaid which is an 8 billion $$... you guessed a global company... which brings global cut-throat practices to little town USA... by taking all their jobs away to lowest cost location across the world.

I'll make a point to never buy another new Vise-grip product...

"if vise grip was still owned by original family... odds are they would still be loyal to their workers...

don't believe the .. vice grip had to move to stay compititive... Irwin/Rubbermaid moved to increase profits... Global companies should not be rewarded for this type behavior."

You are dead on 046. There has to be a breaking point for this at some point - if only enough people were aware of what is happened and more importantly cared enough to do something about it (i.e. not support companies shifting production).

... as a "primary" tool...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26531610

Belgium... looks like you need some real wrenches...

Shoot,... that sucks.

But it is a sad reality that China is becoming a very attractive place for manufactering facilities... cheap labour ya know.

I've worked for several companies and can tell you that public companies don"t give a rat's @ss about you and your family when it comes to $$$$$.
Family owned businesses still tend to care a bit more for their workers but in the real world, they become a rare breed.

The US and Europe have to face the fact that the East is becoming a real industrial power. Lots of challenges ahead. We gotta be creative to stay ahead.:lifter:

Last edited:
Really bad

The out of work Dewitt folks have to drive over 25 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart to get Rubber Maid products at the cheapest price.
That stinks.

==================

This isn't going to last forever.

At what point do we become worth nothing because all we do as a nation is consume?

It is not just our wealth in dollars that we are transfering.

Yep it happens I guess. Try Cresent, great pliers, don't know the place of maufacture, I'll go to the shed and check...

Well...besides chainsaws I am a very active boater - i have always bought Mercury and Mercruiser engnines/stearndrives - not japanese engines.

The reason is that i want to support the US brand (although I live in Denmark) and I think they make great products + spare parts are cheap and easy to acess

I just saw that Mercury is now moowing part of their production to china

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvS0sZC7toU

I have just invested in a New mercruiser engine - it might be my last - I dont want any Mercruiser`s made in china - if it should be the standard that mercruisers are made in china then I will switch to Volvo Penta that is still manufactured in USA and Europa

Guys - it all starts with what you as a consumer choose to buy - I have made up my mind - I am only going to buy Cars Boats Chainsaws that are manufactured in USA or Europa - thats it. :chainsaw:

I know the country is different but the sentiment is the same. I will go out of my way to buy Australian even if it costs me more. Patriotic I think the call it.

China tools are crap! And now Vise Grips are joining them. They use to have over 600 employees at that plant but over the past few years started importing the parts and only asembling them in DeWit. I hope they go bankrupt!
:cry:

When i opened this thread i expected a pic of some huge gash where a hand had been caught in the mechanism OUCH been there done that!

that's truly sad... yet another american icon moves to lowest cost production location.

if vise grip was still owned by original family... odds are they would still be loyal to their workers...

don't believe the .. vice grip had to move to stay compititive... Irwin/Rubbermaid moved to increase profits... Global companies should not be rewarded for this type behavior.

Vise grip has no compitition... the patents have long ran out... the only other locking plier better is made by Klien. Snap-on's version is only marginally better at 3x the price.

Irwin is part of Newell Rubbermaid which is an 8 billion $$... you guessed a global company... which brings global cut-throat practices to little town USA... by taking all their jobs away to lowest cost location across the world.

I'll make a point to never buy another new Vise-grip product...

Agreed,,,,, I say boycott them,,,, in fact all of Rubber maid!!!!!

Pardon my French but,,,,, F_ _ K em and feed em Fish heads!!!!!

I hated to see this happen. The vice grip was an American invention and at one time the plant making them employed over 500 people. They were about the only employer in town. It is truly a useful product.

A few years back I bought three of them: small, medium, and small nose. At one time or another, I have used them all. It takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but once you do, they perform wonders. I have used them in both plumbing and mechanic situations. In some instances, they are almost like having another hand. Many times they have worked when ordinary pliers do not. They even lock onto round pipe and axle stock.

Well, I suppose they will work if made in China. The USA has done a marvelous job of exporting jobs and importing people and products. Perhaps our national debt is our nation's most important product. :censored:

Latest posts

Back