I messed up BADDDDDDDD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I accidentally ran over the handle of my 021 :cry: so now I need a new saw. I got my old Mac 10 but it's a beast and it's got my arm sore from holding it. Now the question is do I go with Stihl which is my tried and true brand which has now parts made in China or do I go with a Efco? There are mostly Stihl and Husky dealers hear I kinda like Husky but I like the FIVE YEAR warranty from the Italians. I am really torn I love Stihl but after my repairman told me parts are coming in from China :censored: I am wary of them now, Stihl is the top dog in saw sales with Husky being #2. I can't get a nice Mac anymore and I am not totally sold on Husky and the five year warranty from the Italians is rather tempting but I am :confused: on what to get now:dizzy: .

I will be using this saw at least twice a week every week on logs 20+ inches for firewood production and a little clearing.

I think you may be surprised by efco,I have a 264 olympyk and they are one tough saw! I bet others will tell you the same.But I am a stihl fan and I have no problem buying a new one!:greenchainsaw:

if you want to stay cheap and stay Stihl get a MS250. The home owner class of saws are still pretty darn good. I more-often-than-not end up cutting 18-20" red oak with mine and haven't had the plastic parts melt or anything. Not sure how many of the parts on the saw would have the dreaded 'made in china' cast on it.

just for fun
IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

I like the 250 BUT I didn't see what the warranty was for them or the Husky's, theres a small hand full of Chinese parts on the new Stihl.

I am not really sure what parts you were told were made in China but I am thinking the most are not made there. If its the black handle bar you broke, I have a junker that came in today with a good handle bar you can get for the postage it cost to get it to you. If its the orange handle, your out of luck with me cause this one is busted up. IMO it is hard to find better than a Stihl. A good service department should be considered in the purchace of a new saw also. Just my opinion though.

I like the 250 BUT I didn't see what the warranty was for them or the Husky's, theres a small hand full of Chinese parts on the new Stihl.

The warranty period for the MS 250 is 1 year for homeowner use, 90 days for pro use, and 30 days for rental.

I am not really sure what parts you were told were made in China but I am thinking the most are not made there. If its the black handle bar you broke, I have a junker that came in today with a good handle bar you can get for the postage it cost to get it to you. If its the orange handle, your out of luck with me cause this one is busted up. IMO it is hard to find better than a Stihl. A good service department should be considered in the purchace of a new saw also. Just my opinion though.
Very generous gesture Clark.

I got a bid in on the part on Ebay it is the rear handle and according to Stihl it would cost somewhere around $70 from them. I am thinking I can get away with installing the rear assembly for little or nothing but if it's gonna cost me more than $50 I am selling it faster than you can say "sell that Stihl".

f955_1.JPG

Last edited:
I got a bid in on the part on Ebay it is the rear handle and according to Stihl it would cost somewhere around $70 from them. I am thinking I can get away with installing the rear assembly for little or nothing but if it's gonna cost me more than $50 I am selling it faster than you can say "sell that Stihl".

http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d9/9f/f955_1.JPG[/URL

Sorry that I could not be of any help to you. I dont have the price in front of me but $70.00 seems a little high unless that it installed. But I could be wrong on the price.

Thanks, Just tring to help a fellow wood cutter out when they are down.

:clap:

That Zama carb on the 346, is Husky now buying those from Stihl,guess they got no chocie huh,hehe

Last edited:
Back