i might be doing a bone head move here so flame me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...Rx7man, first I will apologize for the way I wrote that. Semantics suck. I couldn't tell whether you were intending to be inflammatory, or just wondering what the heck I was talking about. My bad there. Smoke may not be a criteria for rings, as you say, but it certainly can be a wear symptom for a piston port two stroke. When the compression ring(s) are at the end of their useful life, these things will load up and make plenty of smoke out the exhaust. Reed valvers even worse. And no, I'm not talking about a four stroke, but I am assuming you are referring to the oil control rings, be them from a two or four stroke piston. All things equal, when I see one of my simple ring dingers getting smokey, compression check next. Then move deeper.

With your post, it's obvious.:rolleyes:

In all humbleness, I honestly believe that you still arent seeing this right. When the rings wear on a 2 stroke, compression is lowered in the cylinder and crankcase.

Smoke is a direct result of oil mixture and slightly attributable to fuel to air ratio mainly due to oil to gas mix ratio. Seeing smoke from a 2 stroke is normal, and the more smoke you see, the more oil you have usually mixxed. Slight exception is a blackish smoke indicating a rich fuel ratio while running thin oil to fuel ratio. When I run 32:1, there is only a whisp of blue smoke (2 stroke oil) when I nail the throttle when cold, and when warm or hot, you cant see anything unless its been idling for a few minutes, then its only a puff for a second or two. Compression stays @ 195 psi

Back