I need a lighter 45-50cc SAW...any recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is cool!

I little bit here, these saws are a little lacking right out of the shoot. But once they get broken in they are little hot rods! My latest 346 took 11 tanks before it woke up. It might have just been this one saw, but it was a absolute dog on the first 2-4 tanks. Now it's a solid keeper! :D

Don,
Thanks for this information, I will definitely run quite a few tanks of fuel before expecting full performance.

From what Sawtroll posted in a different thread, it can be converted to a 346XP easily. :)

I did a lot of research on Husky saws before deciding on the 353. The local dealer didn't have one in stock, he did a fast ship and got it to me in less than a week. It has been a very popular saw. I won't part with it.

Just remember that the cat muffler that the 353 used to come with in the US has to go! ;)

Don,
Thanks for this information, I will definitely run quite a few tanks of fuel before expecting full performance.

Just didn't want you to be disappointed. I was ready to take my newer one back to the dealer after running it for the first time. But I think mine was a severe case...

Just remember that the cat muffler that the 353 used to come with in the US has to go! ;)

Yes my friend, that is true.

Just a note, if the saw has a green gas cap and more importantly has E-Tech on the starter side, it will have a cat muffler. Unless someone has changed it out at some point. Most of the 346xp saws sold in the last 4 years or so were not E-Techs, but all 353s' sold in the US after 07 or so were E-Techs.

Yup, my 353 was an E-tech out of the box. Dealer said they all were E-tech now. So I went to Bailey's and ordered a non cat muffler for it. Ran it the first couple weeks with the stock muffler then swapped it out.

Richened up the carb a bit and she's been roaring along ever since. The only things E-tech about it are the green fuel cap and the side decal. :)

I have a Poulan PRO PP5020 20 in bar...really satisfied with the performance for the small amount of cutting I do, but due to some back/shoulder injuries, the 15 lbs is more than I like right now.
I'd like to get something close to the same power, but much lighter if possible.

I am far from a Guru on saws, but I know that there are several on this site who are literally "saw gods" overflowing with great advice or at least great sarcasm! lol:clap:
My local chainsaw billy-boys want to offer me a $100 trade in toward a new Echo CS 450P or 500P...what do you think about this?

I gave $145 plus tax new for the Poulan about 9-10 months ago.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reggie

Reggie,

I realize that this is an older thread, but incase you have not made up your mind, my feedback might be just a little different than other advice. First of all, I have owned quite a few different saws, including Poulan Wild Thing, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo. You seem to be a price conscious person that is looking for value and performance. The key part of your information bio was that you don't do allot of cutting. Also, I seem to get the perception that you like Echo. Go with what your instincts tell you will make you happy. If you want value, try an Echo CS-400. Remove the carb limiters, retune, and break it in. Then after about 5 tanks of gas, and having gained confidence in your saw, take the muffler off. Look up how to do a muffler modify on that saw. For some reason, that saw really responds to the process. The difference is so dramatic that you will not believe the difference. You can pick up an Echo CS-400 for about $220 shipped to your residence off FleaBay, just be patient for the deal. Put a pro chain on the bar, and you will be so happy you won't know what to do next. You will be able to bury the bar, plus the saw gives plenty of grunt. I am not saying that it is a Husqvarna 346xp stock, but it is not bad. It cuts like a 50 cc saw, and weighs about 10 lbs at the powerhead. Mine comes in at 11 15/16 lbs - 18" bar, without fluids after the modify (that dropped weight at least a 1/10 lb). My saw is a beast, and I have cut through 10 cord of firewood with it within the last month, so it hasn't shown any signs of blowing up yet - ha! My power increase was so dramatic, that I would estimate it in the 30-40% range. Talk about an awesome saw for the money. Did I mention that it is a commercial 300 hour epa saw? Clamshell, magnesium allow crankcase? If you are incapable of doing minor retuning and the muffler modify, you would be better off going with a more powerful stock saw, but you will have to pay for the difference.

Echo CS-310 - Love It! Modified
Echo Cs-400 x 2 Love It - Modified
Echo CS-500P x 2 Good Reliable saw
Echo CS-600P Great Saw, easy starting, good torque, stands up to the Stihl MS-362 ( maybe better because of how it starts)
Husqvarna 435 Cheap little hot rod, don't know how long it will last, but cuts fast, low torque
Husqvarna 450E Not happy with this one, but I'll get her running right, or drag it behind my truck
Husqvarna 372xp Fantastic saw
Stihl MS-362 Good saw, reliable, for what I paid, I wish it was .9 lbs lighter.

Reggie,

I realize that this is an older thread, but incase you have not made up your mind, my feedback might be just a little different than other advice. First of all, I have owned quite a few different saws, including Poulan Wild Thing, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo. You seem to be a price conscious person that is looking for value and performance. The key part of your information bio was that you don't do allot of cutting. Also, I seem to get the perception that you like Echo. Go with what your instincts tell you will make you happy. If you want value, try an Echo CS-400. Remove the carb limiters, retune, and break it in. Then after about 5 tanks of gas, and having gained confidence in your saw, take the muffler off. Look up how to do a muffler modify on that saw. For some reason, that saw really responds to the process. The difference is so dramatic that you will not believe the difference. You can pick up an Echo CS-400 for about $220 shipped to your residence off FleaBay, just be patient for the deal. Put a pro chain on the bar, and you will be so happy you won't know what to do next. You will be able to bury the bar, plus the saw gives plenty of grunt. I am not saying that it is a Husqvarna 346xp stock, but it is not bad. It cuts like a 50 cc saw, and weighs about 10 lbs at the powerhead. Mine comes in at 11 15/16 lbs - 18" bar, without fluids after the modify (that dropped weight at least a 1/10 lb). My saw is a beast, and I have cut through 10 cord of firewood with it within the last month, so it hasn't shown any signs of blowing up yet - ha! My power increase was so dramatic, that I would estimate it in the 30-40% range. Talk about an awesome saw for the money. Did I mention that it is a commercial 300 hour epa saw? Clamshell, magnesium allow crankcase? If you are incapable of doing minor retuning and the muffler modify, you would be better off going with a more powerful stock saw, but you will have to pay for the difference.

Echo CS-310 - Love It! Modified
Echo Cs-400 x 2 Love It - Modified
Echo CS-500P x 2 Good Reliable saw
Echo CS-600P Great Saw, easy starting, good torque, stands up to the Stihl MS-362 ( maybe better because of how it starts)
Husqvarna 435 Cheap little hot rod, don't know how long it will last, but cuts fast, low torque
Husqvarna 450E Not happy with this one, but I'll get her running right, or drag it behind my truck
Husqvarna 372xp Fantastic saw
Stihl MS-362 Good saw, reliable, for what I paid, I wish it was .9 lbs lighter.

Hey There,

I really appreiate your time & info...TOP NOTCH facts!
I have not made purchase as of yet...so this come in extra handy!:rock:

Bless Ya

Reggie T.

Ifin you should get a Stihl MS 250, do not, I repeat, do not get the easy start. The biggest pain I ever been talk into. It will get the temper a bit on the hot side.

After pulling the string clean out of my 250 the first pull; I have to say it is one damn fine little saw once I put it back together.
Never had an issue with the hot starting though - will have to hope I never do.

No matter what else ya get..if you can grab a poulan 4218 and it is fixable and you get it running and tuned well..they can get the job done as well, for *cheap bucks*.

Not a wildthing or predator, something with AV to it and the larger engine.

Even just as a backup for a backup, when you can get them for free or ten or twenty bucks..man, that's what a cheap bar costs. . Not the lightest, but will run and cut wood just swell.

Hope Im not too late on this thread

I just got a Husqvarna 240 16" its a one hand saw if needed, I use a 3/8s chain but think Ill be going to a narrow kerf chain the small saw will work much better. I like the 240 saw a lot; I cut mostly firewood from gigantic Elm, to small apple trees for the smoker, the ms 361 gets the most use, then the 240 and every so often the 460 comes out I stop smiling when I see the 460, big saw means bigger wood. Back to the 240, I would buy another one any day of the week. there a little over 200.00 and worth every cent

The 353 was replaced by the 545. Some dealers may still have a 353 in stock. The redmax 5300 is the 353 in redmax colors.

Actually, it's the other way around. The 353 is a Redmax G5300 in Husky colors.

I have the Redmax, it's showing itself to be a great saw. I had problems early on with warm restarts, but since I figured that out, I love the saw. Plenty of power for a 20 in. bar and cheaper than the Husky.

I have the Redmax, it's showing itself to be a great saw. I had problems early on with warm restarts, but since I figured that out, I love the saw. Plenty of power for a 20 in. bar and cheaper than the Husky.

I have a husky 346, warm restarts are problematic .Can you tell me how you solved it ?

Are you sure about that? The 353 has been around a long time, 10 years+? It the same basic saw as a 346xp and 351 that came out in 1998-99.

I have a husky 346, warm restarts are problematic .Can you tell me how you solved it ?

I am probably not the best person to answer this question ( however, I do own several Husky saws), but when you have these kinds of problems, I start with the basics, to eliminate the obvious. Because many of these things are necessary for normal maintenance anyway, they are cheap in nature to address. Please do not feel insulted, as I am sure you already checked these issues, but there might be someone out there that would not do so. First, check your air filter, blow it out, wash/dry, or replace. Blow out any blocked cooling fins on the engine. If you have not done so recently, put in a new fuel filter. Change your plug with the proper gap. While you have the plug out, take a flashlight and look into the cylinder for any signs of scoring (vertical black lines). Take an air hose and blow out your fuel cap vent, maybe wash it in clean gas first. Use fresh premium fuel with a high quality 2 cycle oil, mixed just a trifle rich. I always add an ounce of Sea Foam per gallon, to help keep the carb jets nice and clean.

Saws are simple beasts. They usually run or don't run because of only two reasons. They don't get enough fuel, or they got too much. When saws over heat, they are quick to boil gas out of the carb and fuel lines. Assuming you are not vapor locked, a re-prime should have introduced fresh cool fuel and eliminated most air. Your machine might be running a little lean on the low speed jet. I find that when I enrich the low speed jet, many times, I have no need for choking, even when the engine is cool. In the two cases that I had, exhibiting the same problems, both were fixed by enriching the low speed jet. These are not the only reasons for trouble, but at least it is a place to start. Remember to use premium fuel, especially in hot weather. High octane equates to cooler running. Perhaps, someone more knowledgeable can shed some further light on this problem, as I would like to hear the answer to this one myself.

Thank you for all good advice. I always use premium fuel with husky 2 cycle oil. I will replace fuel filter and plug. Air filter gets washed after every day of labor. Saw will be 2 years old next month and I have never did any tune up,but it was not used too much (maybe 5 cords in 2 years). It always starts great when cold. When warm and shut down it restarts on first pull in 5 minutes after switching off. The problem is when I let it sit for 10-15minutes. It restarts but shuts down. When I give it gas it shuts down. Lately I noticed that if I keep pumping prime bulb while it idles ,the saw "clears" up within 20-25 seconds and all is good. Maybe it's just operator error, or maybe working in hot and humid weather didn't help. Sorry for long post, and thanks for any advice.

Thank you for all good advice. I always use premium fuel with husky 2 cycle oil. I will replace fuel filter and plug. Air filter gets washed after every day of labor. Saw will be 2 years old next month and I have never did any tune up,but it was not used too much (maybe 5 cords in 2 years). It always starts great when cold. When warm and shut down it restarts on first pull in 5 minutes after switching off. The problem is when I let it sit for 10-15minutes. It restarts but shuts down. When I give it gas it shuts down. Lately I noticed that if I keep pumping prime bulb while it idles ,the saw "clears" up within 20-25 seconds and all is good. Maybe it's just operator error, or maybe working in hot and humid weather didn't help. Sorry for long post, and thanks for any advice.

You may have answered your own question. Think about it. You pump the primer bulb. What does that do? It provides fuel to the carburetor and your problem clears up. Your problem is not enough fuel. Blow out the vent on your gas cap. Richen up your low speed jet. 346xp saws are great runners. Your problem is solvable.

You may have answered your own question. Think about it. You pump the primer bulb. What does that do? It provides fuel to the carburetor and your problem clears up. Your problem is not enough fuel. Blow out the vent on your gas cap. Richen up your low speed jet. 346xp saws are great runners. Your problem is solvable.

Ok, how do I richen up low speed jet? Forgive my ignorance, I have never done this before. I know there are 3 screws on the saw - T , L , H. I'm guessing its the L screw. Do I need special tool for it , and how much do I turn it ?

Back