I Need, Benchtop Planer Recommendation.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about planers, while not exactly benchtop, this is what we have recently picked up for the milling yard. It's 1500 lbs, with 16" cutters, 3 phase, 440 volts. The 8" rebate side table looks pretty useful too.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Talking about planers, while not exactly benchtop, this is what we have recently picked up for the milling yard. It's 1500 lbs, with 16" cutters, 3 phase, 440 volts. The 8" rebate side table looks pretty useful too.

We call that a "jointer"... and that looks like a nice one... Mines a 8" Rockwell, and sometimes i wish it was a bit bigger, but i've been getting along with it pretty good for about 30 years now...

Rob

attachment.php

Hey nice find... 16", I'm jealous. The 8" limitation of my jointer is the weak link in my woodshop at the moment. That monster you have there is what I need, although I could never find room for something that large. Are you going to convert it to 220 single phase or do you have 440/3 where you are there?

We call that a "jointer"... and that looks like a nice one... Mines a 8" Rockwell, and sometimes i wish it was a bit bigger, but i've been getting along with it pretty good for about 30 years now...

Rob

We also call them jointers, or planer-jointers.
I also have a 10" combination planer-jointer/thicknesser like this
attachment.php

It's a nice machine to use on softer smaller dimension timber but its 1.5 HP motor struggles in some of the harder aussie timbers which is why I got involved in the 3 phase 3HP unit.

Hi: I'm new to this site but old to woodworking. I have a lsrge collection of antique woodworking machinery and can tell you that I've yet to find new machinery regardless of maker that can compare to a great cast iron machine made for serious woodworking. You should check out www.owwm.org and www.owwm.com You will see that good 24 inch planers are available right under your nose regardless of what country you're in for very little money. So with a little elbow grease and some basic machine maintenance you can have a workhorse that will run 20 inch wide 8/4 stock 24/7 for a lot of years with nothing more than a little electric bill. BTW the helical cutter heads are hands down better than anything out there.

The dream machine - A 36 inch Baxter Whitney, Buss, Yates American or other similarly rugged brand outfitted with a replaceable tooth helical cutterhead.

Ernie

Hi: I'm new to this site but old to woodworking. I have a lsrge collection of antique woodworking machinery and can tell you that I've yet to find new machinery regardless of maker that can compare to a great cast iron machine made for serious woodworking. You should check out www.owwm.org and www.owwm.com You will see that good 24 inch planers are available right under your nose regardless of what country you're in for very little money. So with a little elbow grease and some basic machine maintenance you can have a workhorse that will run 20 inch wide 8/4 stock 24/7 for a lot of years with nothing more than a little electric bill. BTW the helical cutter heads are hands down better than anything out there.

The dream machine - A 36 inch Baxter Whitney, Buss, Yates American or other similarly rugged brand outfitted with a replaceable tooth helical cutterhead.

Ernie

Welcome to AS.......and thanks for the links

Gary

Latest posts

Back