I need help deciding on what saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would get the 260, you could be just as happy with a 270 or 280. On the 280 don't have any worries about the IEM carb. Been out in it's second year and performing well.

The way it sounds - FOXEYE would have a hard time getting a NE346XP anyway with the Husky dealers in his area not stocking much on the way of pro saws. Too bad though - as with his bumb left arm he'd really appreciate the Husky's excellent anti-vibe!!!! Not to mention the blinding speed!!!

(it was worth a shot - after all, I'm fighting this battle by myself):) :) :)

Al :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey I like Huskies too. I have an old white top husky IIRC out in the shed that is well over 35 years of age IIRC and it has never missed a beat until it blew the seal between the crankcase halves where the oil resivoir is, and it just got put to the side. Husky is why I am still usuing chainsaws with this bumb left arm. I was able to use a Husky for about 6 or 7 hours every day, but only an hour or two on a Stihl..when I used to do arborist work onthe side asa well as cut and sell firewood.....NOw I am retired and still need firewood myself and to be able to clean up around the place when it needs it and like I said my best and currently only dependable saw is the 272XP.

I can feel vibe's big time in my left arm. I had a pinched Ulna nerve, that was aquired when I got my left arm pinched in a tree felling accident. They had to cut out the ulna nerve (ulna nerve is also called the funny bone which is really not a bone but a major nerve)and relocate it, and it got scar tissue after it was relocated, and they had to once again relocate it, and its never beenthe same ever since. In a period of time during use, my left hand just releases a grip un beknown to me and what ever is in that hand drops. My fingers never open up all the way but a saw like the 272 is just too heavy and will fall right out of my hands. I am however able to hold up and still control a lighter saw, but its still not a good situation. I do have a simple harness to keep a saw from falling totally out of my grip and it works fine. Yes I still need firewood so I am not going to hang up the saw by any means as I need to keep warm during the cold month or two here. But from what I can tell Husky does not vibrate as much as a Stihl does.

I called the Husky dealer a short time ago and he replied, he would have to order a given amount of the 346 saws just to get me one saw, and he has no calls for them. I do not believe that crap as only two of the Stihl dealers here have 280's but all said they could order me in a saw no problem.......and I do not think its any different with Husky.

Lets see maybe if I flip a coin......heads Stihl 260 Tails 280 if it lands on edge I'll buy the 346XP and if it stays up in the air I'll go find a Dolmar!

You're right !

Your Husky dealer SHOULD be able to get a NE346XP in for you to look at! Sounds like he just damn lazy!
Really am sorry to hear about the seriousness of the arm deal for you. I think if you were to get the chance to handle the new 346 you'd appreciate how trim it is and truely how smooth it runs.
The 260 Stihl is a great saw as well - it's just that we all prefer to support our favorites!
Good luck on your decision.

Al:) :)

The 346XP would be a good choice, it is very smooth and has a great antivib system. The last Stihl 026 I used was not as smooth, but the MS260 may have updated the antivib design.

The Husqvarna 353 is a pro level saw, but might not be quite as smooth as the 346XP.

The Dolmar 5100 is a very smooth saw, I have one. Finally the Husqvarna 350 is said to have a great antivib setup, and for the money may be the smoothest saw available, right there with the 5100.

Husqvarna has been good to you so far, dont rock the boat with one of those white saws

Husky should do something!

You know FOXEYE's situation really ticks me off. Can one of the Husky dealers on this site send his message to Husky directly or to their rep???

The man obviously likes using Husky product - for him there is way less vibration - - - and if anyone should know, he should know.

"Husky is why I am still usuing chainsaws with this bumb left arm. I was able to use a Husky for about 6 or 7 hours every day, but only an hour or two on a Stihl..."

It just seems bad that he can't get access to a saw that might be just what he needs!

"I called the Husky dealer a short time ago and he replied, he would have to order a given amount of the 346 saws just to get me one saw, and he has no calls for them. I do not believe that crap as only two of the Stihl dealers here have 280's but all said they could order me in a saw no problem.......and I do not think its any different with Husky."

Al :( :(

Last edited:
Hey I like Huskies too. I have an old white top husky IIRC out in the shed that is well over 35 years of age IIRC and it has never missed a beat until it blew the seal between the crankcase halves where the oil resivoir is, and it just got put to the side. Husky is why I am still usuing chainsaws with this bumb left arm. I was able to use a Husky for about 6 or 7 hours every day, but only an hour or two on a Stihl..when I used to do arborist work onthe side asa well as cut and sell firewood.....NOw I am retired and still need firewood myself and to be able to clean up around the place when it needs it and like I said my best and currently only dependable saw is the 272XP.

I can feel vibe's big time in my left arm. I had a pinched Ulna nerve, that was aquired when I got my left arm pinched in a tree felling accident. They had to cut out the ulna nerve (ulna nerve is also called the funny bone which is really not a bone but a major nerve)and relocate it, and it got scar tissue after it was relocated, and they had to once again relocate it, and its never beenthe same ever since. In a period of time during use, my left hand just releases a grip un beknown to me and what ever is in that hand drops. My fingers never open up all the way but a saw like the 272 is just too heavy and will fall right out of my hands. I am however able to hold up and still control a lighter saw, but its still not a good situation. I do have a simple harness to keep a saw from falling totally out of my grip and it works fine. Yes I still need firewood so I am not going to hang up the saw by any means as I need to keep warm during the cold month or two here. But from what I can tell Husky does not vibrate as much as a Stihl does.

I called the Husky dealer a short time ago and he replied, he would have to order a given amount of the 346 saws just to get me one saw, and he has no calls for them. I do not believe that crap as only two of the Stihl dealers here have 280's but all said they could order me in a saw no problem.......and I do not think its any different with Husky.

Lets see maybe if I flip a coin......heads Stihl 260 Tails 280 if it lands on edge I'll buy the 346XP and if it stays up in the air I'll go find a Dolmar!

Sounds like you need a GTG at your place. That would net you alot of wood. Surf around on here, more than likely there are some guys close to ya that have these saws you mentioned . That way you can run it and see what ya like. Sounds like you need another husky dealer to visit or find one that does net sales on the "side". There should not be any reason your guy can't get one 346........

+1

Sounds like you need a GTG at your place. That would net you alot of wood. Surf around on here, more than likely there are some guys close to ya that have these saws you mentioned . That way you can run it and see what ya like. Sounds like you need another husky dealer to visit or find one that does net sales on the "side". There should not be any reason your guy can't get one 346........

Great idea and suggestion!

Al

You know FOXEYE's situation really ticks me off. Can one of the Husky dealers on this site send his message to Husky directly or to their rep???

Al :( :(

+1, this is what gives brands bad names. Maybe one of the dealers here can point him towards a "demo 346", the UPS way.:)

The down side to that is no local service/warranty work.:cry:

Husky - - Give Him a saw!!!

Hell, Husky should give him a saw of his choice just for the right to use his endorsement about the anti-vibe!

"Husky is why I am still usuing chainsaws with this bumb left arm. I was able to use a Husky for about 6 or 7 hours every day, but only an hour or two on a Stihl..."

If that's not a ready-made ad or commercial I don't know what is...and believe me I'm in advertising-I know. That would be very cheap compensation for the use of that statement!!!

Last edited:
The 346XP would be a good choice, it is very smooth and has a great antivib system. The last Stihl 026 I used was not as smooth, but the MS260 may have updated the antivib design.
Nope 260's are equally smooth as their 026 predecessors ;).

Nope 260's are equally smooth as their 026 predecessors ;).

smmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:)

I'm assuming a lot of folks are staring at their monitors dumbfounded, their faces twitching and scratching their heads thinking "He wants to step DOWN in power???.....that does not compute". So step away from the computer before the sparks coming out of your ears set the papers on your desk on fire. Get a cold drink. Relax. Collect your thoughts and THEN come back later and make your recommendation.:)

I'm assuming a lot of folks are staring at their monitors dumbfounded, their faces twitching and scratching their heads thinking "He wants to step DOWN in power???.....that does not compute". So step away from the computer before the sparks coming out of your ears set the papers on your desk on fire. Get a cold drink. Relax. Collect your thoughts and THEN come back later and make your recommendation.:)

The saws I recommended are a step down in power...:popcorn:

The way it sounds - FOXEYE would have a hard time getting a NE346XP anyway with the Husky dealers in his area not stocking much on the way of pro saws. Too bad though - as with his bumb left arm he'd really appreciate the Husky's excellent anti-vibe!!!! Not to mention the blinding speed!!!

(it was worth a shot - after all, I'm fighting this battle by myself):) :) :)

You are absolutely right......:rockn: :rockn:

The Husqvarna 353 is a pro level saw, but might not be quite as smooth as the 346XP.

The Dolmar 5100 is a very smooth saw, I have one. Finally the Husqvarna 350 is said to have a great antivib setup, and for the money may be the smoothest saw available, right there with the 5100.

Husqvarna has been good to you so far, dont rock the boat with one of those white saws

Nothing wrong with the AV on the 353, but I don't use it much anymore, because the NE346 and 5100 have more power, and simply are more fun to run!

When vibes are a major concern, the MS260 is definately out!

If you can't go to them,let them come to you.Thats why they made the internet.I am all for shopping local.But if you can't get it there, you have to go someplace else. went here,Southwest traiding.Great prices, free shipping on some stuff.Good luck
http://www.a-chainsaw.com/index.php

Latest posts

Back