i need help with some acceptable knots for hanging a pully or block

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the timber hitch is a little finicky. id either locks up too tight and is a pain to untie especially after dynamic loading. i need t start using something like that knot above. it looks like it will work good for a pulley too.

That is just some inaccurate information there. Great thing about timber hitch is it does not lock up...sledge hammer.....arrrgggghhhh :dizzy:

i think the timber hitch is a little finicky. id either locks up too tight and is a pain to untie especially after dynamic loading. i need t start using something like that knot above. it looks like it will work good for a pulley too.

Yeah, I do hate it when that damn timber hitch tightens up so much that I have to break out the sledge hammer to knock it free.. that is a drawback. Good point vox!

:confused:

That is just some inaccurate information there. Great thing about timber hitch is it does not lock up...sledge hammer.....arrrgggghhhh :dizzy:

:clap: :agree2:

If you guys are having problems releasing a timber hitch YOU ARE TYING IT WRONG!

You only need a few wraps back onto the bight, but you need to make sure that the loose tail is tucked not less than 180° around the tree from the bight that catches the load. 3/4 of the way around the tree is much better. If you are wrapped half way around the tree, it will not choke down on itself, nor will it fail.

I generally don't even put any twists on my timber hitch until I have come back around to the back side of the log. Then I give it 2 or 3 twists, sometimes ending with slipped bury, just to speed up the groundmens efforts.

Conversely, if you put 5 wraps right at the bight, then it might very well choke down like a fisherman's knot (double overhand) before it fails entirely.

KNOW your knots in order to avoid problems.

Latest posts

Back