I sawed through a snake yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went out to cut up some smaller dead wood yester day. I was driving out and spoted a red elm that had been down for some time. My first cut was to see if it was any good. I stoped the saw to look at it after makeing 2 cuts. their was a snake sticking out of it part of it was hollow. It had got up to 80 the day before but that day it was in the 40s. I am glade he didnt inup in my house.

Got some in my basement you can have. Have caught and removed 4 this winter so far. Saw one yesterday but couldn't catch it. Just milk snakes so not that big of a deal. Talked to my wife about getting a trap or glue boards but she said she doesn't mind the snakes. What a woman I married.

How far did ya jump:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My business partner is a tough s.o.b. but he is deathly afraid of snakes. Few years back we were taking down a hollow silver maple over a house. We had the tips of a limb tied off, over the guy's patio in the back yard. probably 12, 14 inch diameter limb

So he's climbing, and me and 1 other buddy are ground guys. He starts cutting the limb at the trunk, and we hold the rope. And then blood starts spraying down all over the patio. I thought, oh crap, he cut himself with the saw so I was yelling, and he's looking around to see what i'm yelling about.

As he finished the cut the hollow limb swung up on end, and a huge black snake fell out onto the patio. It was all cut into pieces, the saw cut had gone right through it and all the pieces were wiggling around on the concrete in different directions lol

Just about then he realized how big, the snake was and that it had been up there in the tree with him all morning...... I've never seen anybody come down out of a tree so fast in my life

We still laugh with him about that day, 10 years later

I know how beneficial they are and all but...............um..............I still have a STRONG dislike for snakes!

I sawed thru one once. A black snake I think. The front half, about 18", crawled out of a hollow log and disapeared under a rock. The back half just squirmed and wiggled. Guess it couldent see to crawl off.

I went out to cut up some smaller dead wood yester day. I was driving out and spoted a red elm that had been down for some time. My first cut was to see if it was any good. I stoped the saw to look at it after makeing 2 cuts. their was a snake sticking out of it part of it was hollow. It had got up to 80 the day before but that day it was in the 40s. I am glade he didnt inup in my house.
AW...HELL YEAH!!!!:rock:

Got one better for you.

With a mate yesterday, dropped a dead Eucalypt for firewood. Under the bark were thousands of ladybugs, just everywhere.... And they didn't get the hint to move on either quickly.

Also dropped one green and had the fibers and crap block up the tip of my husky bar so it locked solid. Took a few hefty whacks to free it, along with doses of wd40 and later bar oil to re lube.

Still got a good 1.5 -2 m3 of wood, he got about 2-3m3 after stacking his vehicle more including the roof rack with 8 foot logs, about 8" dia.

Oh hell! You all can keep them snakes.:chainsaw: All the more reason I love my OWB!Although I did have a nest of ground bees try and take up residency under my wood pile last summer. Stung three times running like a crazy person form there. They are nasty little creatures.

Couple Springs ago when I started my splitter for the first time that year, a whole bunch of baby mouse parts came spitting out. They had set up a nest in the carb. A real mess.

Once upon a time I was working as a landscaper mowing lawns, we had a 48" 3 blade walk behind mower which I used quite often. One of our accounts was a Doctors home at the end of a cul de sac. Big beautiful house with gorgeous view and a nice sized pond. I was mowing around the pond where the grass was 2 or 3 times as tall as the rest of the yard, all of a sudden the mower started to rattle and jump making a racket as something was getting tossed around inside the deck back and fourth between the blades. as I disengaged the blades out came flinging a large black snake, it came out in a ball but as it got farther away from the mower it straightened out and continued spinning toward the truck. I landed 15 feet from the mower about 10 feet from the truck. at the time my boss was in the bed of the truck digging for something when I watched him as he noticed this snake coming straight towards him, he jumped out of the truck and kept running halfway down the driveway screaming. When I stopped laughing and finally went to check out the snake I was surprised to find that all 8 feet was still in one piece, covered with cuts and gashes but not severed in half. The snake must have been hunkered down in the grass sleeping and woke up when the mower was on top of it sticking its head up into the blades.

A few weeks after that I was driving down a back road and there was a small limb laying across the road taking up more than one lane, at least 10 feet maybe more. I was only going 25 MPH so I just drove over it, when I hit it the sound was unexpected. I expected to hear snapping wood but it sounded like a potato chip bag that was popped open. As I drove away I saw it was a snake and it was flailing around thrashing in the air and on the ground.

Last edited:
A few weeks after that I was driving down a back road and there was a small limp laying across the road taking up more than one lane, at least 10 feet maybe more.

Not sure what kind of snakes y'all have in CT, but Black Snakes do not grow 10ft. +.... EVER. Yinz got Anaconda's ? :msp_smile:

Not sure what kind of snakes y'all have in CT, but Black Snakes do not grow 10ft. +.... EVER. Yinz got Anaconda's ? :msp_smile:

They do around here, when I was a kid my mom did the same thing as dave 376. We were on a gravel road, going to a friends farm to go swimming in the summertime. she slowed down because there was a tree limb across both lanes of the road

Except after we ran over it crawled into the woods, it was really a snake stretched out in the shade. Had to be 12 foot or so. We had to pull over until she could get herself together (hates snakes)

Can remember that like it was yesterday:hmm3grin2orange:

Now I know who are the Girly Men around here.:hmm3grin2orange:
I can understand if a guy cuts through a 6ft diameter tree and woke up a hibernating Grizzly bear.
But holy cow, snakes and those gruelsome "Lady Bugs" got ya pee ya panties!:msp_tongue:

I can understand if a guy cuts through a 6ft diameter tree and woke up a hibernating Grizzly bear.
But holy cow, snakes and those gruelsome "Lady Bugs" got ya pee ya panties!:msp_tongue:

Granpa swears on everything holy that he sawed plum through a snoozing 80lb Wolverine once...while felling a big hollow Box Elder when he was courting a girl named Big Helga up somewhere in Michigan...he said that thang just squalled and kept up some kinda racket for at least 20 minutes after the tree was felled & bucked, noodled, and some kindling was made also. Big Helga wuz a perfect 6x6 6 feet tall and 6 feet across...kinda a more mobile female version of "Jabba the Hut"...she made a funky kinda stew outa what was left of his remains...kinda force feed him on all the boys...she did...he said!:hmm3grin2orange:

I took it as being strange things you've never even thought you'd see?

I've hit numerous animals, including Roos possums emus and snakes. I've driven over heaps of washed up jellyfish that have swelled up in the sun to pop spectacularly.

But I never expected to find thousands of them under the bark of a dead tree.

Something new.....

I went to a gun shop in New Milford Ct about 10 years ago. This place had a few nice mounts boar, deer, antelope, lion, and a baby black bear sitting on a stump. There was a new paper story that went with the baby bear, it came from Maine and was a logging accident. They were using a Feller Buncher to to cut the trees and as the operator grabbed ahold of the tree it also grabbed the bear that was hiding on the back side of the tree. The feller buncher cut the bear in half. Somebody mounted it with the stump and it became a traveling mount .

Latest posts

Back