I think it's time for a new 'big' saw. Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks like their 661's. If you hang out in the trading post there are lots of the saw polisher types who buy these then sell them after they cut cookies a couple times and show it off at a gtg. Can save some green over buying new.

If it weren't for a damn dog biting the rear handle of mine and leaving teeth marks in it, I've thought about selling mine too!

For as many times as I'd use a 30" bar, I'd rather just have the bar and chain handy and make do with my biggest saw. I always thought about getting a 30"+ and making a couple loops of skip tooth Pico chain for my Husky 460. No idea how that would work, but its always been in the back of my mind.

My brother in law runs old Mac saws and got a 36" bar and chain on ebay for cheap. Its only a ProMac 610 (60cc) but it does some serious cutting....

This.

Or Husky 395.
Having ran the 390, 395, and a 661 I'd rather run a 395 with a 36" or longer bar for production falling work. The 390 will pull a semi skip square 36" setup with a 7 pin sprocket just not as well out here we don't see many 661 running most that had them got them bought back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Stihl dealer 2 blocks away, Echo dealer 10 min drive away. Don't know about other dealers. I was hoping to keep it under $1,000, but I'll pay for quality if I must. Hoping that I can get the Echo functioning decently, so I'll be up to 4 saws again.
Hit Spike60 up in a pm. You could probably get a 390xp to your door in your price range. Never bought from him myself but I hear he's great to deal with.

I have a 2005 model Husky 385 that usually wears a 30" bar. Back then they were rated for a 42", bar and it will pull it, I have tried it once when my 395 layed down on me. Why is it the newer saws are not rated for as long a bar as a older saw with the same displacement? You might want to get a older saw. Might be cheaper and stronger running. By the way my ported 372 will run circles around the 385. I have never tried the 42" on it but it will sure spin a 36". It usually wears a 24".

I have a 2005 model Husky 385 that usually wears a 30" bar. Back then they were rated for a 42", bar and it will pull it, I have tried it once when my 395 layed down on me. Why is it the newer saws are not rated for as long a bar as a older saw with the same displacement? You might want to get a older saw. Might be cheaper and stronger running. By the way my ported 372 will run circles around the 385. I have never tried the 42" on it but it will sure spin a 36". It usually wears a 24".
That was one of my all time favorites falling saws between myself and my dad we got 15 years of hard cutting with a 32 as well as 42. As to the rating who knows but a 395 is under rated that's for sure a 661 I'd bet a 36 is a good last length for it. Possible the cranks don't have as much material weight anymore trying to get speed up.

I’d say 28” & 36”, but yes.

That's what size mine usually wears, it's an animal with the 28". Will use a 20" bar occasionally for noodling, have an 8 tooth sprocket for that but rarely put it on.

My recommendation is to check the classifieds here regularly.

Some absolute sweet saws have gone through there. Unfortunately the big boys seem to get scarfed up QUICK.

For my 394 I love the 32" bar. It balances so much better than the 36" I have.

A 395 with a 60" Cannon make my back hurt bar and a 42" Cannon when the time, place, and money for a log or logs is right the long bars come out to play.
e0e3f9853c2f982169a752d9338b93da.jpg
517232ef01ffbef955f07a449638c167.jpg
6049eedcf8f1e1d8b9e47664a1ccdee1.jpg

Latest posts

Back