I think it's time for a new 'big' saw. Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used Husqvarna 298 about 25 years ago for about 200 . Has taken care of all my big saw needs ,it would be very hard to get a deal like this now . To answer the question . If I didn't use a big saw every day I would look for vintage . The down side to vintage before amsoil if you let the 298 set for about a year it was very hard to get to turn over . No compression release, 180 on the compression guage .

If you don't insist on a new saw, I have a nice 288xp that would cost half what you are thinking. I bought it on here, then worked out a deal for a Mastermind 390 and have no need for 2 90cc saws. I normally use a 550 or 562 but when the going gets tough, it's nice having the 90cc.

I've had a echo 800 for probably 15 years.. it's a good strong reliable saw..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I just ordered the 661 with a 36" bar. I don't think I'll regret it. Have a couple large trees to remove including a monster sycamore on my own property. I'll need that 36" for that one. There's a soft and hard maple next door on the list as well. I'll keep a fair bit of the soft maple for bundles, and I have to share some of the hard with the owner's FIL. Anyone want the sycamore? Free to all takers!!

Well, I just ordered the 661 with a 36" bar. I don't think I'll regret it. Have a couple large trees to remove including a monster sycamore on my own property. I'll need that 36" for that one. There's a soft and hard maple next door on the list as well. I'll keep a fair bit of the soft maple for bundles, and I have to share some of the hard with the owner's FIL. Anyone want the sycamore? Free to all takers!!

Go Ahead & Order the Max Flow kit for it.

Redbull did all the testing & put the info in a thread on here.

Good Reading material while on the throne.
8fd2938e5faf31a2c10cc5a72bc012fb.jpg

I think you'll be happy. When the 661 first came out I wanted one, but none were on the shelves yet. I got tired of waiting and bought a 660, love it. Growing up with big saws, 100-130 CC's, I don't even consider the 660 big. It's smaller, lighter, quieter, smoother, than my old Homelite Super 1050's and 2100's, and it has a comp release. What's not to like. I do miss the 404 chain of my old bigger saws. The old 1050 would hit a framing nail and you would feel the saw jump, but it kept on cutting. It would only knock the edge off a couple teeth. If the 660 hits the same nail it stops cutting and takes the edge off every tooth. That might be because it's spinning up close to twice the RPM's of the old 1050, Joe

I think you'll be happy. When the 661 first came out I wanted one, but none were on the shelves yet. I got tired of waiting and bought a 660, love it. Growing up with big saws, 100-130 CC's, I don't even consider the 660 big. It's smaller, lighter, quieter, smoother, than my old Homelite Super 1050's and 2100's, and it has a comp release. What's not to like. I do miss the 404 chain of my old bigger saws. The old 1050 would hit a framing nail and you would feel the saw jump, but it kept on cutting. It would only knock the edge off a couple teeth. If the 660 hits the same nail it stops cutting and takes the edge off every tooth. That might be because it's spinning up close to twice the RPM's of the old 1050, Joe

I run 108dl .404” on my Ported 66s.

I run 108dl .404” on my Ported 66s.
I've thought about converting. Do you think the ability of the old saws with 404 to clip through a small piece of metal was the bigger tooth, or the fact that they were spinning slower? I hit the very tip end of a deck screw with the 660 with 3/8's, milling. Turned out there was one 3 1/2 inch screw in my box of 3 inchers. It just stopped cutting, no buck or jerk, wiped out every tooth. The old Homelite would have jumped and kept cutting. I was stunned that something so little could take out every tooth, Joe.

max flow kit?? What's that?

http://www.hlsproparts.com/MaxFlow-Air-Filter-system-for-Stihl-MS661-p/h51661.htm

Price check it with Amazon & eBay.

More power and better filtration because Stihl hasn't fluffier oot how to do that from the factory. LoL

Put down the hate pipe Injun Ear- the 661 doesn’t have a conventional threaded/screw on Filter Cover Fastener, but rather a twist on. This setup was intended to work with the current HD filters, but doesn’t work so well.

Hence the MaxFlow being so popular with the 661 fans.

Put down the hate pipe Injun Ear- the 661 doesn’t have a conventional threaded/screw on Filter Cover Fastener, but rather a twist on. This setup was intended to work with the current HD filters, but doesn’t work so well.

Hence the MaxFlow being so popular with the 661 fans.
Makes about as much sense as my miss-spelling in my last message. :crazy:

Saw is here. Went to pick it up but the guy at the register was having issues with paperwork and my discount and warranty and all that. Will get it tomorrow when the boss is there.

Took my echo 670 to the shop on Tues. hopefully it's nothing serious. That's been a very good saw.

I picked up my 661 before it was "technically" available in my area so I don't know if I had a paperwork issue as well, but I got it out the door with the 36" bar/chain for 1179.xx plus tax...

:D

Back