I thought i was good at sharpening a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found the Stihl (Pferd) 2 in 1 file guide to be the best out of all the devices I have tried (electric, manual, on the bar, off the bar). They have three sizes (need correct file size and pitch to match the saw). Vermeer/Sherrill has the one for .404 pitch. Depth gauges and cutter teeth get filed at the correct angles and height at the same time. Tool flips over to do both left and right cutters while the chain is on the bar. Files are replaceable. These are on all my trucks and I've labeled them for the different saws. My guys use them daily in the field.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/filing-tools/2in1file/

Can you use any file with this device or do you have to buy specific files from Stihl?

I tried Pferd files, but I do not think they take longer than Vallorbe files. I never tried the "save edge" files, I will take som from Baileys in my next order.

And for chisel bit files, whose are the best? I have some Viiala "double bevel" from ebay, but they wear out quickly. Only found Vallorbe ones here, but they cost € 18 / $ 25 / piece.

Can you use any file with this device or do you have to buy specific files from Stihl?
For the 2 in 1 file guide the flat files for the depth gauges are specific from Stihl or Pferd. The round files for the cutter teeth are standard, available anywhere.

Check raker height and make sure you are removing enough material on the cutters to remove the dulled edge(no "glint" remaining)

You want the highest part of the cutter to be the cutting edge. If you see "glint" on the top of the cutter near the cutting edge, that's the highest part and your cutting edge isn't touching the wood.

Take a look at this pic. The cutter on the right you see a shiny edge. This needs to be removed/files back to look like the cutter on the left.
tooth with glint.jpg

Okay, how much wood the cutter is allowed to remove is controlled by the depth gauges.
depth gauge.jpg

Here you can see the Top plate of the cutter is angled back. As you file the top plate away, it gets shorter. For the Depth gauge to be the correct height, it needs to be lowered.

Another thing is don't wait too long to sharpen. The longer you wait, the more filing will be required to get a sharp tooth.

I hand file and i have an old neilson grinder but when i go an buy a new stihl full chisel chain it pulls so fast thru the cut,i can never get one this fast . . . Just wish i could duplicate a new chain for speed, i'm getting good chips but like to have that speed and suction thru the wood.

1. If you look at Dan_in_MN's illustrations, above, you will see that it is the top plate edge, and the upper part of the side plate edge that do the cutting. These have to be sharp, no matter how you get them that way (file, grinder, Dremel, different jigs, etc.). You say that you are getting good chips, so you may be doing this OK.

2. Even if these edges are sharp, they cannot bite into the wood if the depth gauges are too high. These need to be lowered every few sharpenings, but don't take off too much or the chain will get too grabby and hard to control. I recommend using one of the depth gauge tools to do this accurately.

3. If you want the chain to 'self-feed' more, you can try making a deeper hook: by using a larger diameter file, or by filing into the gullet area slightly after you have sharpened the edges above (#1). If you focus on the gullet without getting those edges sharp, you will be cutting with a dull chain.

4. For smooth cutting, you want all the cutters on a loop to be filed/ground at the same angles, profiles, and the same length.

Philbert

Have to admit Ive been hand filing for a long time and always did what I thought was a decent job. I picked up a GranBerg and was very impressed for the price.

Moody made mention about forcing the file. After using the GranBerg I realized just how much I was doing this freehand. Sometimes an old dog can learn new tricks ;)

I posted this in a similar thread. Hopefully it's helpful.

Life gets a little stressful and when it does I'll go sharpen chain (Stihl RS). This is my soft wood chain (maple, cottonwood) Thought I would share a some chain sharpening information. I may make a quick video tomorrow explaining a little better.

vubatenu.jpg

Starting at the point of interest POI. The reason I start there is because when you use a round file a flat stroke is ideal. The outer edge of the tooth is something flat that be helpful to look at.

Many people see the beak as the most important part of the chain. And to be honest the entire top of the tooth is very important. If the top of the cutter isn't flat then you'll find the chips to be very small. More times than not you'll find they look more like half of a chip.

Now on to the gullet or 'hook'. Notice that it's very similar to a half moon with a slight bend. When you get a deep gullet or to big of hook you'll find that time between sharpening will go down. The location of the gullet is just as important as depth. But that's a lot of typing.

Now on to the Raker. The single most overlooked part of the chain. It won't matter how sharp your cutter is if the Raker isn't at the right height. Too high and it won't allow enough cutting surface to peel the wood. Too low and you'll have a grabby chain that won't last long in hardwoods as they dull quickly. Buying a file guide with the appropriate depth gauge will keep this simple. Patience is needed for hand filing don't get discouraged if you mess up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Moody points out an interesting fact that rarely ever gets mentioned in filing threads & that is the fact that your top plate needs to not only be sharp but also be STRAIGHT. If not and it has a bend or step in the edge no matter how sharp it is you will only get small half sized chips and perhaps think you depth gauges are not low enough. Very good point that nearly never get mentioned.

If my chain looked like, I would have thrown it away long ago. Holy cow where'd your chain go?!

Find someone near you who sharpens chain really well. Pick up a few of their favorite beverages of choice. Go for a visit and watch and listen how they sharpen chains. Pick up some good habits and techniques they have. Nothing beats better than watching and listening to someone who already knows what you are trying to figure out. Take some beef jerky too, everyone likes jerky.

Howdy,
When you're buying files, you need to pay attention to the files cut itself. When you buy Pferd brand files, most people carry the fine cut versions. If you wait for your chain to quit cutting before sharpen, you're probably not going to like fine cut files because it takes a lot more strokes to get the job done. If you touch up your chain when you refuel. the fine cut file will leave a nicer edge.
Regards
Gregg

If my chain looked like, I would have thrown it away long ago. Holy cow where'd your chain go?!

Find someone near you who sharpens chain really well. Pick up a few of their favorite beverages of choice. Go for a visit and watch and listen how they sharpen chains. Pick up some good habits and techniques they have. Nothing beats better than watching and listening to someone who already knows what you are trying to figure out. Take some beef jerky too, everyone likes jerky.

That's a race chain and the person that has it really liked it and did well with it. That was a new chain when I started on it. That may have been the 3120 build chain that won a build off between 12 chains.

John, that's a race chain. and from the looks of it a mean mutha too.

Latest posts

Back