I want to buy a *REALLY* good chain saw. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking to buy a really good saw. I'm not really looking for a good deal, but rather a really good saw. I want it to be very powerful, very well built, and durable.

For example, if this were a power tool, I'd want it to be a Milwaukee. I might consider a Dewalt, but nothing less. (Not even Ryobi, and certainly not black and decker and don't even think about the "HF" word!!).

I would like this saw to be super-powerful and not bog down but at the same time, not be too heavy.

Right now, I have a little Stihl 021 chain saw (which for what it is,...size, price, weight) is a pretty capable little saw. However, I am now looking for a *real* powerful saw...Btw, can you get a real powerful saw that is not too heavy?, or is that mutually exclusive?.

The only wood we have to cut is smaller in size. Usually no more than 12'' at best. Our wood is also usually very soft (pine and aspen), however, I may be able to locate some smaller oak (6-8'').

So, what is the best made, most powerful chain saw that is not too heavy?. Remember, it does'nt have to be too big (bar length) as our trees are not too large.

Troll :notrolls2:

All this thread will lead to is another "my saw is better than your saw" bashfest. :deadhorse:

Poulan 'wild thing' top of the line, or do a search and see if anything better shows up. Some key words to use while searching, Stihl , Husky , Dolmar, Echo, good luck.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like this saw to be super-powerful and not bog down but at the same time, not be too heavy.

However, I am now looking for a *real* powerful saw...Btw, can you get a real powerful saw that is not too heavy?, or is that mutually exclusive?.

So, what is the best made, most powerful chain saw that is not too heavy?. Remember, it does'nt have to be too big (bar length) as our trees are not too large.

Why is weight a factor, if you call yerself "SUPER HUNKY" ???

And since your a multi millionaire,
buy several and give the rest to me. :)

Like was stated earlier...

:notrolls2:

Sharpen your chain properly and you won't need much power to do what you describe.

Stihl MS361

Yep, if you need an "all-round" saw (that doesn't exist), the MS361 is most often the best compromise - it has the best power to weight ratio, unless you compare to the real heavy-weights........

...as Husky 372xp......(heavier, but also more power), or Dolmar 7900 (even more power)..... - or MS660.........:givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn:

:rockn: :rockn: :ices_rofl:

Last edited:
Yep, if you need an "all-round" saw (that doesn't exist), the MS361 is mostly often the best compromise........

...or Husky 372xp......(heavier, but also more power).....:givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Either of those exclusively for six to twelve inch softwood!!?? :bang:

Bailey's still has a 13'' bar on there clearance sale that will fit a 3120 husky.It will be heavy, but think how light the bar is! but then that screws up the balance! Ah never mind

I

The only wood we have to cut is smaller in size. Usually no more than 12'' at best. Our wood is also usually very soft (pine and aspen), however, I may be able to locate some smaller oak (6-8'').

*So, what is the best made
Not many will get very far saying there s a better built saw then Stihl's "PRO" (white-handle) saws​

*most powerful chain saw that is not too heavy?.
Power to weight, Sthl's MS-660 and MS-361 are toward the front of the pack.​

*it does'nt have to be too big (bar length) as our trees are not too large.
Your trees are running a lot like some of the areas here in Colorado. Not sure what altitude you are cutting at, but all-around, you may find something close, but your not going to beat the use you would get from an MS-361​

Welcome to the site!​

Edit: 361's are screamers with a 16" bar

Last edited:
Mr. Super-Hunky, even a man of your stature and good looks would probably benefit from looking to see what dealers are in his area. I suspect you are in northern Arizona (where the trees are) and you may find that Stihl and Husqvarna are the safest bets. There are a few other excellent brands (Dolmar, Jonsereds, etc) but they don't seem to be well represented in these Northern parts. On the other hand, if NASA appreciates what you did for the shuttle program, you could look at a few other quality brands. (You will probably end up doing some work yourself.)

Hope you don't mind the ribbing... your profile is great!. Welcome to AS, we always appreciate it when someone offers themselves up for sacrifice. These are fun folks and they never miss a chance to goof around. My votes?

Stihl ms361. It will breeze through 12" wood and will make you pretty happy when you get tired of the the small trees and start looking at the bigger ponderosas, which it will cut in style (and that's important, you know!)

Last edited:
shoerfast:

Thank you for being so helpful and "welcoming" me to the site. You are one of the few actual *quality* responses that not only answered my question, but you actually were nice in welcoming me and not just calling me a "troll" like several of the other responses!

To anyone who has a real question and wishes to ask other, more knowledgable people their advice/and or opinions on a subject, it would sure be a shame if all anyone did was to call you a "troll" and suggest that others don't respond to your posts.

There is a very simple saying that gets to the point real quick. "Mean people suck!". This comment is not directed towards anyone in particular, it's just something to think about next time you are in need of some help or advice.

Last edited:
Mr. Super Hunky, I would not bother taking offense. I think the "troll" reference was at another member who uses the name SawTroll. Spend some time here, read some posts, and I think you'll find it informative and enjoyable. They CAN (occasionally?) get carried away, but at the end of the day its all in good fun.

They had a "tree hugger" bashing thread a while back that was downright horrifying! But who knows, maybe you would have liked that one!

I'm in Flagstaff where trees seem to be bigger than where you are. Where do you hail from?

I say stick to a steak knife..............trolls don't need anything that is self powered!!!:givebeer: :notrolls2: ..... :deadhorse:

.....just as stupid as ever, who cares.........:D :D :D :rockn: :rockn:

..actually I like you, but that is a well hidden secret....

Last edited:
Back