I want to buy a *REALLY* good chain saw. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh Oh.

MSH,

Your avatar looks to be in fun. Your bio looks to be in fun. I must admit, at first impression, it is difficult to take your posts seriously.

There is a lot of reading through the search function.
Husky 346
Stihl 260 or 260 pro
Husky 350
Dolmar 5100 (S)
Shindawa has some highly recommended saws in the 40 to 50 cc range.
Echo has some decent stuff but seems to be more weight.

You'll find the above recommendations, and more, over and over on the site.

Good luck with the search.

YOU GOT IT !!!

attachment.php

Mr. Multi-Millionaire Stud ...

Rod:

I tried to be as specific in my criteria as possible. I am a total newbie and don't walk around slinging a 4 foot penis extension of a saw on my shoulders like you.

Had I have been a macho chainsaw know-it-all pro like you proclaim to be, I probably would not be on an internet forum such as this seeking advice but rather walking around town with a 4-foot blade over my shoulders trying to impress all the local skillet lickers in my town.

Now, since, as you say, we are all just having fun, and none of this is meant literally, then why don't you display an ounce of intelligence and knowledge by giving me a few recommendations on what to look for.

It seems that other members had absolutely no problem using the criteria I had given as, well, they actually ARE my criteria!! (imagine that).

I said I am looking for a powerful saw that is not too heavy. While it may seem manlier to handle the heaviest piece of equipment you can find..(sorta like carrying around a 4 foot "look at me" type of chainsaw), that actually is not as productive as a lighter saw would be that could cut through the same logs. You see, while working hard may seem admirable, working smart, productive and efficient will outperform the hard worker every time!.

So, I guess that now leaves two options. You may possibly consider a few suitable saw suggestions, or continue to act like the way you look in your avatar!.

This is all in good fun remember, nothing meant personal to anyone. Actually, I think I kind of like this!

What do you consider "powerful" and "heavy"? Everyone has there own interpretation. You should have given more specific details. Make fun of my avatar all you wish. I'm not the type to recommend the biggest saw possible. That's my milling saw. Very appropriate for it's task, not a ego booster, as you imply.

You're off to a heck of a start.

Well I guess I will have to agree with everyone who say's to use the search function. Probably just about anything to do with a chainsaw of anytype has been discussed on this forum at some time since it's inception, and if you can't find something using the search function, well it's obvious you're just an idiot. That way we wouldn't have to be bothered by those pesky newbies, and their questions about chain saws. That would leave more time for important stuf, like bull$hitting.

My sugguestions for saws have already been mentioned.

Andy

Okay, now that we have all the "niceities" out of the way, let me give you a brief chainsaw history of myself.

First off, I have only owned one saw (a Stihl 021) that I have used and abused. This is the only saw I am used to since its the only one I've ever had.

I am absolutely amazed at what this saw is capable of as I've cut down several near 36'' diam trees with it!. Yes, I had to cut all around the entire tree and then push it over with my backhoe. I know, I know, this is moronic and unsafe. I'll admit that, but I'm just letting you know what can be done with this little saw.

I have used this little saw now for almost 8 years and never did anything to it other than replace the chain (with home depot $13.00 chains) and add generic home depot bar oil at every gas fill up.

I guess the only good thing I have done to this saw is use Amsoli 2 stroke oil which seems to work very good and puts out almost no smoke.

I have cut down and cut up around 50-60 full sized ponderosa pine trees with this saw and have around 100 hours of use on it.

although I am VERY familiar with using a chain saw, (mine), thats all I know. I am now looking for a slightly bigger bar with a more powerful engine and if it can perform like my little 021 (16'' bar), I'll be very happy.

So, while I have had lots of operator time using my little saw, I still consider myself a "newbie" since I never used anything else and don't know what else is out there.

The only reason I am interested in a diferent saw is because occasionally I will come across a round that is too big to get through in one pass and also on the larger rounds I cut, (12-14''), the saw can really start bogging down and I must constantly "wiggle" the bar like a see-saw to prevent it from locking/binding up.

I will take a look at the local Stihl dealer this week and also husky to see what they have. I just don't want to go in totally uninformed and looking like a total loaf!!

Thanks for the serious replies and the fun ones as well. I have very thick skin and don't mind the "pokes", I know its all in fun.

Well I guess I will have to agree with everyone who say's to use the search function. Probably just about anything to do with a chainsaw of anytype has been discussed on this forum at some time since it's inception, and if you can't find something using the search function, well it's obvious you're just an idiot. That way we wouldn't have to be bothered by those pesky newbies, and their questions about chain saws. That would leave more time for important stuf, like bull$hitting.

My sugguestions for saws have already been mentioned.

Andy

Actually Red; Your absolutely right. Everyone should just use the "search" button to have all of their questions answered. Actually, we could just have a F.A.Q page with all the questions already answered and that way we would'nt even have to correspond with each other.

Some may think its bad enough that we are all just sitting around *talking* about doing stuff on the computer as opposed to actually doing it, but now you've come up with an even better solution (more efficient too!), and that we all just use the "search" button to correspond as everything has already been answered there many times over.

This is such a unique idea, you must be brilliant!, at least I think so.

Actually Red; Your absolutely right. Everyone should just use the "search" button to have all of their questions answered. Actually, we could just have a F.A.Q page with all the questions already answered and that way we would'nt even have to correspond with each other.

Some may think its bad enough that we are all just sitting around *talking* about doing stuff on the computer as opposed to actually doing it, but now you've come up with an even better solution (more efficient too!), and that we all just use the "search" button to correspond as everything has already been answered there many times over.

Relax - getting grilled around here is nothing to fret over.

Honestly, I'd go with a Stihl 460, can do anything. Primarily, because I make my living using Stihl saws.

I just noticed you have been hammered with negative rep:computer2: :computer2: :computer2: Don't take the jokes here so bad, there will be many more to come.:biggrinbounce2:

First off, I have only owned one saw (a Stihl 021) that I have used and abused. This is the only saw I am used to since its the only one I've ever had.

I am absolutely amazed at what this saw is capable of as I've cut down several near 36'' diam trees with it!. Yes, I had to cut all around the entire tree and then push it over with my backhoe. I know, I know, this is moronic and unsafe. I'll admit that, but I'm just letting you know what can be done with this little saw.

I have used this little saw now for almost 8 years and never did anything to it other than replace the chain (with home depot $13.00 chains) and add generic home depot bar oil at every gas fill up.
I think you have already answered your own question as to what brand saw you need to get, you state you abused the stihl you have and it still runs, why not get another, just a bit bigger and give the 021 a rest. Best general purpose would be the stihl 361. There are many of the same cc and features but if you are comfortable with your dealer, choice should be simple.

I smell something...

Do You smell it ???

Something STINKS !!!

attachment.php

Funny, I have delt with MSH in other threads, yeah he's cocky, you kind of have to be on here, but is willing to admit he's an idiot. That is worth a lot in my book.
Ok, his profile is funny, his post was off the wall, but it was a new aproach at the same old. Yes, I am tired of the same old questions myself, but he did at least try and keep it entertaining.
Ge the guy a little slack, lets not hang him yet.

I'm kinda with Sawinredneck on this one.... I am obliged to tolerate a newb cuz' I was one and have not yet fully recovered. I lurked for a long time and appreciated the honest answers to what must've seemed like pretty tedious questions. I've got some good experience, a kickass hobby, and a lotta laughs out of it. So, if you're a cagey AS veteran with Mobil Racing 2T in your veins and even if you're a bit of a butthead (again, you know who you are!), I appreciate the attention and patience you've shown.

I say, raise your glasses to Mr Super-Hunky, who today has taken some pretty good punches and, though he is staggering drunkenly and has no idea that there is no end in sight to the vicous beating, is still standing. I say Mr. Super Hunky wins the award for "Newb of the Year." Here's to you, Mr Super Hunky!! (klink)

Back