I want to buy a *REALLY* good chain saw. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shoerfast:

Thank you for being so helpful and "welcoming" me to the site. You are one of the few actual *quality* responses that not only answered my question, but you actually were nice in welcoming me and not just calling me a "troll" like several of the other responses!

To anyone who has a real question and wishes to ask other, more knowledgable people their advice/and or opinions on a subject, it would sure be a shame if all anyone did was to call you a "troll" and suggest that others don't respond to your posts.

There is a very simple saying that gets to the point real quick. "Mean people suck!". This comment is not directed towards anyone in particular, it's just something to think about next time you are in need of some help or advice.
You must say you left yourself open to poke a bit of fun at! I hope no harm was done! Every body is different so just try Some saws at you local dealers and make a decision that way. I would look at a zippy 50cc saw or 346 husky if I was you. Too bad we cant get a Jred 2147 anymore as I much prefer the strait handle on that one. But that is a personal thing again.

"really good saw"
"super-powerful"
"not bog down"
"not be too heavy"
"So, what is the best made, most powerful chain saw that is not too heavy?"
What type of response would you expect of me with ultra-generalized references like that? Then there's your username and profile which is all jokes, how could I expect anything more than someone trying to start up more cr@p?

BTW, I heard NASA built a 50 h.p. chainsaw that weighs only 12 pounds, made from the scraps of the Roswell spacecraft. You can drive over it with a tank, and it springs right back to new. You don't even need to mix oil in the gas, because it's indestructable. Since you're a multi-millionaire, I figure you could get it.

If you want to come off looking the :jester: expect to be treated like one.

Mr. Super Hunky, I would not bother taking offense. I think the "troll" reference was at another member who uses the name SawTroll.

No, I meant forum troll, as by definition:

What is an Internet Troll/ Forum troll?

* An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

Wow, you learn something everyday. Its hard to believe they have a name for it.... seems like the english language woulda had that covered already. He seems sincere enough, though... and if we didn't ALREADY have a bunch of instigators here (you all know who you are!), I would even bother coming! I have a ton of fun just watching the antics. :popcorn:

I posted this in the other thread you started.

Look into a muffler mod on the saw you currently have. May boost the zip enough to make it satisfactory. Would not add any weight and you could do it yourself. (just have the carb retuned)

What type of response would you expect of me with ultra-generalized references like that? Then there's your username and profile which is all jokes, how could I expect anything more than someone trying to start up more cr@p?

BTW, I heard NASA built a 50 h.p. chainsaw that weighs only 12 pounds, made from the scraps of the Roswell spacecraft. You can drive over it with a tank, and it springs right back to new. You don't even need to mix oil in the gas, because it's indestructable. Since you're a multi-millionaire, I figure you could get it.

If you want to come off looking the :jester: expect to be treated like one.

Rod:

I tried to be as specific in my criteria as possible. I am a total newbie and don't walk around slinging a 4 foot penis extension of a saw on my shoulders like you.

Had I have been a macho chainsaw know-it-all pro like you proclaim to be, I probably would not be on an internet forum such as this seeking advice but rather walking around town with a 4-foot blade over my shoulders trying to impress all the local skillet lickers in my town.

Now, since, as you say, we are all just having fun, and none of this is meant literally, then why don't you display an ounce of intelligence and knowledge by giving me a few recommendations on what to look for.

It seems that other members had absolutely no problem using the criteria I had given as, well, they actually ARE my criteria!! (imagine that).

I said I am looking for a powerful saw that is not too heavy. While it may seem manlier to handle the heaviest piece of equipment you can find..(sorta like carrying around a 4 foot "look at me" type of chainsaw), that actually is not as productive as a lighter saw would be that could cut through the same logs. You see, while working hard may seem admirable, working smart, productive and efficient will outperform the hard worker every time!.

So, I guess that now leaves two options. You may possibly consider a few suitable saw suggestions, or continue to act like the way you look in your avatar!.

This is all in good fun remember, nothing meant personal to anyone. Actually, I think I kind of like this!

Others hit it pretty well right-on: your best choices for an out-of-the-box, brand new saw would be the Stihl MS361, Husqvarna 357xp, or Dolmar 5100. 16" bar, 3/8" chain, and you should be able to be highly productive with a very durable machine.

I'd take that info and translate it into a trip to the dealer to get some hands-on time with these saws. As for the rest of the horse$hit drama in this thread, well, I'd probably give it a rest and spend my time and energy reading some of the old threads and learning a thing or two along the way.

Mr Super Hunky....computeruser has made a fine point.... I would add that, although I personally appreciate your attempt to "smooth things over," I rather think you have missed the mark. In your efforts to win over Mr. Reidnaur, I fear you may not have struck the proper tone. Though we may all show some lack of form in dealing with such matters, may I suggest that focusing on your growing interest in chainsaws is the best tonic in this instance.

MS260 would be a fine match for your needs

Last edited:
First, find a dealer you like. As you are a self proclaimed newbie, you won't be doing much work on it youreself yet. Once you find a dealer you like, one that doesn't try and sell you the first saw you handle, blow moke up you're butt, and you know more about saws than he does (happens a lot more than you think), then handle the saws, see what feels good. See how it balances, does it swing nice, or feel awkward to you etc. Then come back and ask us about specific models. The Husky 357 is a nice saw, kinda pricey bu good, the Stihl 361 is a good saw, but even more money. Really for what you are talking about, I'd say get a Husky 350 and b done. It's cheap and buil like a brick (I haven't been able to break mine yet, and I have tried!!!) Seen a tree droped on one, did somersaults, we found all the bits for the throttle linkage, put it back together and went back to cutting. But thats just my .02.

Uh Oh.

MSH,

Your avatar looks to be in fun. Your bio looks to be in fun. I must admit, at first impression, it is difficult to take your posts seriously.

There is a lot of reading through the search function.
Husky 346
Stihl 260 or 260 pro
Husky 350
Dolmar 5100 (S)
Shindawa has some highly recommended saws in the 40 to 50 cc range.
Echo has some decent stuff but seems to be more weight.

You'll find the above recommendations, and more, over and over on the site.

Good luck with the search.

Troll :notrolls2:

All this thread will lead to is another "my saw is better than your saw" bashfest. :deadhorse:

No kidding, what an idiotic post imho, sorry newby but you must first read all the posts on all the saws before even considering the '54 Mall 6000. Then you must get your 'Powerful Saw Licence' and pass a time limited, 20 page, powerful saws users test, I think they give ya 10 minutes. :D

oi.

Mr Super Hunky....computeruser has made a fine point.... I would add that, although I personally appreciate your attempt to "smooth things over," I rather think you have missed the mark. In your efforts to win over Mr. Reidnaur, I fear you may not have struck the proper tone. Though we may all show some lack of form in dealing with such matters, may I suggest that focusing on your growing interest in chainsaws is the best tonic in this instance.

Good post ATG70.

You have to have a really thick skin to run with the boys and girls on this site.Be prepared to get all types of responses.If you want to learn ,dothe search function first to find out stuff,because you will probably find whatever you want out there.Scout local dealers nearby to see what is available and to collect info about what to use for what application.If you stick with a known brand you will not go wrong.PPE for the super hunky bod,good maint. on the saw ,a sharp chain,and go make chips!Good luck and welcome!:buttkick: :popcorn:

Stihl 880, 42" Cannon Bar, big dawgs, 3/4 wrap handle bar. Full chisel semi skip chain.

LOL...and if you can't find an 880 get a 3120 with at least a 42 " bar. You won't even have to get it up to the tree...just lock the throttle down and swing it like a big scythe. :buttkick:
Failing that...just get a mid-range Stihl or Husky...go to the saw shop and try out a few. Run it right, maintain it right, try not to cut anything important off of your person...and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Or an MS270 (but not the 'c' model), been using one fairly regularly and it has more than enough guts and power to do the tasks you ask (read the ms270 does its duty thread) as considering the general size of the trees you are cutting I think a 361 would be over-kill, but, it is big and powerful and would probably increase yer testosterone level :D

And oh, WELCOME!

:cheers:

Serge

Why use a 357/361 for 8"-12'' wood?

Mr Super-Hunky,
For 8-12" softwood, a 357xp or 361 would be overkill. You simply don't need to shell out $600 or 4.4 hp for that use. I would suggest you look at saws in the 50cc range. The Dolmar 5100s, Husqvarna 346xp & Stilh MS260 would be the favorites for that size wood. I would strongly urge you visit one or all of these local dealers if you have them. Weight specs of one saw vs another can be greatly offset by the way they feel in your own hands!

Back