I want to buy a *REALLY* good chain saw. Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people CANNOT admit anyone except Stihl makes a saw! They will continue to harass you for eons after you make your decision and purchase. Remind me of gnats! Course I can smack the gnats when they bother me!

They are #1 for a reason:jester: I hate to hear people rant after a sad saw purchase:( Just trying to avoid the heartache:givebeer:

So you are saying a 5100 will out cut a 260?

Yep, by a healthy margin, even if the 260 is the "old" 3.5hp version (they still are here) - and the Dolmar isn't run in yet, because of my leg injury......

Not comparable saws at all really, but the Dolmar is also heavier......

Last edited:
How are those 1 ringed 5100s holding up? I think the 5100/346 rely on chain speed to cut where the 260 has more grunt when the bar is buried to pull through...just my thoughts for today, happy 4th!!:cheers:

The PS5100's are holding up great I have yet to have to rering one and YES I have sold them to real loggers and YES they do stand the thrashing they give them just as good as any PRO saw. Yes the PS5100 has more hp speed and torque than a 260.

Scott

The PS5100's are holding up great I have yet to have to rering one and YES I have sold them to real loggers and YES they do stand the thrashing they give them just as good as any PRO saw. Yes the PS5100 has more hp speed and torque than a 260.

Scott

Sounds good. Great to hear real world comments:clap:

You do know that Jonsred, Poulan, and I recall an announcement about Redmax all being owned by the Husqvarna Group? I think Jonsred and Husky share the same engines, the major differences are the color and handles. I'm not putting down Jonsred but you seem to feel it is on par with Husky. It IS a Husky in red pajamas!

snip!

Yes But dealers that may sell one might not sell the other, in fact I am getting vibes that Jonsered may be dropped altogether and the Husky line will be the only production saw made between the two brands . I may be wrong , time will tell.

New Poulans ... are cheap made and a yard saw IMO.

Yes But dealers that may sell one might not sell the other, in fact I am getting vibes that Jonsered may be dropped altogether and the Husky line will be the only production saw made between the two brands . I may be wrong , time will tell.

I love my 5100SH, really cool and fast saw!!!....:heart: :heart: :heart:
Witchy

Time sure will tell, but I believe they will keep the Jonsered brand for quite some time because of the reputation on some markets - mostly they were at least as good as comparable Huskys, before they gradually became "the same", with an inferior handlebar design........

Last edited:
I wouldn't go less then 361 unless you dont mind spending extra time cutting your bigger stuff. A smaller saw will get the job done on bigger stuff but requires much more time and it is added stress that could shorten the life of the engine. Some of the bigger saws mentioned might be better if you feel comfortable operating them.

Some people CANNOT admit anyone except Stihl makes a saw! They will continue to harass you for eons after you make your decision and purchase. Remind me of gnats! Course I can smack the gnats when they bother me!

If that was directed at me, you are confused.

I'm just trying to get the guy to add more physical shopping and less paper shopping to his repertoire at this point. Paper shopping gets you in the ballpark, but making up one's mind by paper specs and strangers' opinions is only slightly silly. I couldn't care less about brand when we're talking about the various "pro level" anything; I go for practical and feel and encourage others to do the same based on physical shopping. 0.3 pounds here, 0.6 pounds there and 0.3 HP here, 0.5 HP there - it's all within the marketeers' error bars...

Sperho:

I totally agree with you on "hands on" descision making. As others have said, mfg's specs will get you in the ballpark as well as others comments and reviews but when its time to make a descision, one must do it on their own.

As far as everyone "nitpicking" every little detail such as .05 hp more here, ... .06 lbs lighter there, lets face it, its just fun to compare and talk about!

BTW, what does the "h" stand for in ps 5100 sh?. Does that denote an 18 inch bar as opposed to a 16 inch?. Just wondering. I think I remember a dealer telling me that the dolmars can be ordered with either a stock 16'' or 18'' bar.

Latest posts

Back