I want to improve my climbing rig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the arborist ropes would qualify as "solid". For any given rope size, How tight they are wrapped, what color they are, how they are constructed (double braid, 16-strand, etc), what material they are made with, and what coatings they might have are what makes each of them different from the rest.

Focus on learning the construction and materials that each rope is made with, ignore the colors, and you will end up knowing what you like. Go to each manufacturers website, and they will tell you everything about each rope, as well as it's performance statistics. Stuff like breaking strength and elongation.

I've been looking at SherrillTree's climbing rope chart for a month now.

I have been a working climber since 1991 and have climbed on Safety Blue more than any other line. I spent my first year climbing on True Blue then switched to Safety Blue. I climbed primarily on that line up until about 5 years ago when I started climbing on PI. I still climb on Safety Blue occasionally. Especially when I am climbing in dirty, muddy conditions and want to save my PI line. I am about to order another 150' hank of SB for my new climber in training. Not only is it great climbing line, but it also makes a Jim Dandy rigging line and can be used as such when retired from climbing.

After fiddling with the rope samples I got from SherrillTree(they're 4' instead 2') I've decided on the Hi-Vee.

I'll probably use a rescue 8 for decent, it attaches easily enough, and can be locked off.

I like the other lines, and I'll prolly end up getting one of them for tree climbing, PI/PHI, or Lava.

The Vortex is larger than I thought it'd be, and surprisingly limp for a large line, it's the most flexible of all the samples, maybe I'll end up with three ropes. I thought the limper line might solve the problem with the hitches getting tight, but it seems to be just as bad or maybe even worse on these ropes, that's why I'm going with the figure 8.

I'll probably use a rescue 8 for decent, it attaches easily enough, and can be locked off.

Or you could learn to tie dress and set your hitch properly, and leave the extra gear on the ground when climbing Ddrt.

What do you weigh Carbie? If your hitch is properly tied, dressed, and set, and is still tightening up too much, tie it with an extra wrap or two.

.....I've been climbing SRT, but I'm looking towards going with a double style for limb walking.

Ddh, he was trying to use the friction hitch for SRT.

Carb, decided on an 8 for a descender? And you were worried about the "Creep" of a STOP? Turn loose of the tail on that 8 before you get it locked off and see what happens.

Ooops! Sorry! A little sarcasm crept in. Carb, DO NOT turn loose of the tail on that 8 before you get it locked off! (I'm afraid he might actually have done it).

Seriously, an 8 is an excellent tool for an experienced climber, for many uses, but it can be a disaster for a newbie.

After fiddling with the rope samples I got from SherrillTree(they're 4' instead 2') I've decided on the Hi-Vee.

I like the other lines, and I'll prolly end up getting one of them for tree climbing, PI/PHI, or Lava.

The Vortex is larger than I thought it'd be, and surprisingly limp for a large line, it's the most flexible of all the samples, maybe I'll end up with three ropes. I thought the limper line might solve the problem with the hitches getting tight, but it seems to be just as bad or maybe even worse on these ropes, that's why I'm going with the figure 8.

I think this thread is getting surprisingly limp. If you have not used a figure 8 before, make sure someone is with you on belay while you get used to it.

Or you could learn to tie dress and set your hitch properly, and leave the extra gear on the ground when climbing Ddrt.

What do you weigh Carbie? If your hitch is properly tied, dressed, and set, and is still tightening up too much, tie it with an extra wrap or two.

I'm around 170 - 175 lbs.

I'll try the extra wrap or two.

Ddh, he was trying to use the friction hitch for SRT.

Carb, decided on an 8 for a descender? And you were worried about the "Creep" of a STOP? Turn loose of the tail on that 8 before you get it locked off and see what happens.

Ooops! Sorry! A little sarcasm crept in. Carb, DO NOT turn loose of the tail on that 8 before you get it locked off! (I'm afraid he might actually have done it).

Seriously, an 8 is an excellent tool for an experienced climber, for many uses, but it can be a disaster for a newbie.

Ummm yeah, I've done a lot of rappelling, and I know how to break.

Also you can add a biner or 2 to the 8 and it'll slow you down to the point that you can let go of the tail and just descend at a safe rate, but I always hold the tail and the loaded side of the rope in one hand and apply and release my grip as needed.

Matter of fact, using this technique you can actually control your descent using only your forefinger and thumb to apply braking pressure, so it's very safe.

I think this thread is getting surprisingly limp. If you have not used a figure 8 before, make sure someone is with you on belay while you get used to it.

I've used them before, but they're a little slow. I prefer a spring gate biner with a single wrap and an Ausie style harness, but the belay guy just gets in the way.:blob2:

Naw he's not a professional troll..............he's a rooking at that, too.

All of this talk of a figure eight........when a tree is worked we lock off our friction hitches hundreds or even a thousand times......you know....like every time we let go of the rope to make a cut. This figure eight stuff doesn't figure.

Hundreds of thousands of times? Man, it sure you a long time to work a tree.

Can you believe the length of this silly thing? A tribute either to our patience or our gullibility.

Well, I tried. This guy, if he is real, will end up in the hospital or dead. That is, if he is real. I am starting to wonder myself, is this a reincarnation? Hope nobody takes any advice from him, would be dangerous to do so.

I've used them before, but they're a little slow. {referring to using a figure-8 as a descender} I prefer a spring gate biner with a single wrap and an Ausie style harness, but the belay guy just gets in the way.:blob2:

I don't think anyone who has used a figure-8 could prefer using a friction wrap of any sort on an unsecure spring gate carabiner. That is just ignorant and dangerous.

If you read this C-less, I'm not calling you stupid. I am referring to an uninformed individual whose lack of understanding is obvious. Stupid, however, might be a root cause of the ignorance on display.

I don't think anyone who has used a figure-8 could prefer using a friction wrap of any sort on an unsecure spring gate carabiner. That is just ignorant and dangerous.

If you read this C-less, I'm not calling you stupid. I am referring to an uninformed individual whose lack of understanding is obvious. Stupid, however, might be a root cause of the ignorance on display.

Cheer up man, life isn't that bad.

Latest posts

Back