I'd love to cut a bit of firewood, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be in the garden spot of northern Ohio. Temps not to bad and ground is little sticky but not sloppy. Got most of a blown down ash chunked up yesterday. Staying clear of the woods this weekend because of deer gun season.

Suck it up and cut in the summer heat when the ground is much drier. If you sweat enough, the skeeters will leave you alone.

I tried today. Got a new trail opened up and one trailer load of wood down the hill. Needed the tire chains. Luckily they cleaned out pretty well back on the turf before I got to the garage.

Need some frozen ground to get anything done or I will have the trails wrecked.

Luckily I have plenty of wood - 2 years ahead anyway. Got busy in the garage this afternoon changing oil and minor body repairs that I have been putting off.

It was 50* here today with some sun! Really NICE for Dec.!

We went out in my back woodlot and cut firewood out of storm damaged tree's, mostly apple and hard maple... I'm re-opening the road into the woodlot, and having to take out a lot of broken/blown over tree's to get in,

We got a good start on it, there's close to two cords on the wagon,

standard.jpg

And more than that, skidded out, ready to be cut into firewood lengths,

standard.jpg

What a beautiful day to be out working, and NO mud!

SR

It was 50* here today with some sun! Really NICE for Dec.!

We went out in my back woodlot and cut firewood out of storm damaged tree's, mostly apple and hard maple... I'm re-opening the road into the woodlot, and having to take out a lot of broken/blown over tree's to get in,

We got a good start on it, there's close to two cords on the wagon,

standard.jpg

And more than that, skidded out, ready to be cut into firewood lengths,

standard.jpg

What a beautiful day to be out working, and NO mud!

SR
Hey, I've been meaning to ask you about the forks you got with the thumb. Did you add that yourself or buy it that way? I want one as well as some of my tree service buddies I've mentioned it to. They are using plain forks or grapple buckets and aren't happy with either.

I went out for a bit this morning to run the splitter in the yard since I couldnt get to the woods. Didnt get much done there before my boots weighed 20lbs. I wiped them off and shut off the splitter and threw in the towel.

Where's all the mud. Just east of grand rapids mi its pretty dry here. Been working on the new woodshed before it freezes. Started on the 1st and have totally rocked it between everything else going on this time of year.
The ground here is nice, til you hit the clay layer just below the surface. That was some nasty stuff this spring, I graded it and made a natural "french drain". Sure hope it works because the wood shed is right over it, guess I'll find out in the spring.
The kids and I went out and cut half this pile of hard maple, cherry, and a pine up for a buddy this week too. I cut a third of this pile and all ove the other one not shown.20151201_154315.jpg
20151203_180857.jpg

20151205_171720.jpg

Mud or not (really, there's some mud but it's not bad here) I'm cutting today! Gave up the past two weekends to firearms deer season and had a family Christmas party yesterday. I'm starting to shake, my palms are sweaty...if I don't get some saw fumes quick full blown convulsions can't be far off :( ;)

I went out for a bit this morning to run the splitter in the yard since I couldnt get to the woods. Didnt get much done there before my boots weighed 20lbs. I wiped them off and shut off the splitter and threw in the towel.

Man, that truck kicks ass. Looks like it's in great shape. I have a 96 2500 at the moment that's great, but i love the old body style 3500 srw and duallys. What motor/trans combo is in that truck? Ever test what mileage it gets towing vs unloaded?

Hey, I've been meaning to ask you about the forks you got with the thumb. Did you add that yourself or buy it that way? I want one as well as some of my tree service buddies I've mentioned it to. They are using plain forks or grapple buckets and aren't happy with either.
I like that bad boy also.

Hows the insert doing 066 blaster.

Man, that truck kicks ass. Looks like it's in great shape. I have a 96 2500 at the moment that's great, but i love the old body style 3500 srw and duallys. What motor/trans combo is in that truck? Ever test what mileage it gets towing vs unloaded?

Its actually a 93 Chevy C3500 that origonally had a 6.5 diesel and 5 speed. I bought it with a blown motor and built a 454 and put it in. Last somer I did a facelift with the 99 GMC grill. Next year I am going to put in a TH400. The 5 speed just doesnt work for me with all the hills and short trips I do with it. All it does is pull the trailer. Probably only put 500 miles a year on it. It gets a good solid 10 MPG on the highway with the cruz on empty. Pulling the trailer it gets a consistant 5MPG. The last pic is what it looked like when I got it.

20150910_191815_zpsqqief08b.jpg

1211121548.jpg

It's a muddy mess here today. Cut a load of wood this morning and got the trailer stuck in the cornfield about 100 feet from the gate. Had to hall the wood out on the atv racks about four pieces at a time and then slop through the mud and get the trailer.

Its actually a 93 Chevy C3500 that origonally had a 6.5 diesel and 5 speed. I bought it with a blown motor and built a 454 and put it in. Last somer I did a facelift with the 99 GMC grill. Next year I am going to put in a TH400. The 5 speed just doesnt work for me with all the hills and short trips I do with it. All it does is pull the trailer. Probably only put 500 miles a year on it. It gets a good solid 10 MPG on the highway with the cruz on empty. Pulling the trailer it gets a consistant 5MPG. The last pic is what it looked like when I got it.

20150910_191815_zpsqqief08b.jpg

1211121548.jpg

I would seriously consider a 12 valve conversion.

5mpg is redonkulous while towing. I always thought the 454 got the same crappy mileage loaded or unloaded. It wouldn't differ.

I would honk near 20k on a gooseneck and get 16-17 mpg with my old cummins.

If the 454 has sentimental value put it in something fun.

That's just my .02.

Back