Identify log - osage orange?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllinoisJim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a couple logs dropped off that I planned to cut up for firewood. One is very hard and has a dark center. I split it and the wood is yellow/orange color and darkens up in a day or so when exposed. I think it smells a bit like mahogany but obviously not that. The one thing that throws me is that it is about 16" dia x 8 ft long and very straight. I have very limited experience with osage orange - what I have cut before wasn't this straight and clear. Any other possibilities? I can post pictures in a day or two. I cut it in 4' lengths before I realized I may have cut up a valuable log...

Log ID

Here are some pics...

I had some before that I thought was black locust but this seems a lot harder to cut and split and the previous had more depth to the bark ridges. Maybe just variation from tree to tree or the previous wasn't what I thought. Pretty sure neither was mulberry - I did have some of that and am sure it was mulberry.

Log ID

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking honeylocust is correct. Here is a picture of a fresh split and a fresh cross cut. The sun is directly on the end so it looks slightly lighter than it actually is.

the osage orange i have cut open has been very bright bright almost fluorescent yellow inside when its fresh cut open, and very rarely are any peices even straight enough to make a peice of firewood out of, that is my experience with that stuff

It is definitely not Osage Orange - wrong type of bark. Osage Orange bark is very distinctive, as is its hardness when you cut it!

nope!

I got a couple logs dropped off that I planned to cut up for firewood. One is very hard and has a dark center. I split it and the wood is yellow/orange color and darkens up in a day or so when exposed. I think it smells a bit like mahogany but obviously not that. The one thing that throws me is that it is about 16" dia x 8 ft long and very straight. I have very limited experience with osage orange - what I have cut before wasn't this straight and clear. Any other possibilities? I can post pictures in a day or two. I cut it in 4' lengths before I realized I may have cut up a valuable log...
Definitly not osage orange need more pics looks like the biggest persimmon ive ever seen but cant see it very good!

Back