If HONDA made a line of chainsaws.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cr500 that just might become a saw. I make that the equivelent of four Mac 125's

Lots of Honda powered saws, BIKESAWS

Serioulsy if Honda make saws you can bet SawTroll wouldn't like them and Brad would be making power gains with them the minute they were on the shelves. And only if they had a 6 cube would they get a certain members approval.

I was thinking small engines and they start easy but my gosh thier pull rope assemblies are trash... their fine if its yours but hired hands will scatter them in a 40 hour work week. I no longer fix them just wrap a rope around the flywheel and give it a rip... Other than that their small engines are excelent.

Yeah, my Merc is a 20hp Jet. 25hp power head and pretty sure made by Yamaha. It's been flawless!
I thought they only built the bigger powerheads for merc, but u may be right. I had a 2001 25hp yamaha 2 cyl 2 stroke that I bought new and it was a really reliable motor. I had it on a 14' lund and it went like a bat out of hell. I would get numerous comments on how fast it went when i was by myself...however it was almost dangerous because it was a shallow transom (15") lund and it was pretty squirrely

I can't believe no one has mentioned snowthrowers. Supposedly Honda makes the best, certainly the price should tell you that. Personally I am an orange machine(ariens) fan. Price out a Honda snowthrower, you could buy 3 MS441cm's for as much as they cost new.

A guy I know bought one of those a few years back. He's lived his whole life in MT. He's had many brands of snow blowers, and he bought the Honda and swears by it.

He bought the top of the line tracked version. Paid over $6K if I recall.

would be interesting to compare the dolmar 4 stroker to the honda 4 stroker if they ever decide to build them(don't worry it's coming). only problem is the $$$$ there is absolutely no price point on a dry-sumped 60CC 4 stroke chainsaw until they outlaw the 2 strokes outright. only when they do it,i hope they build it like the old GX series not the new GX series and POS GCV series...they just don't build em like they used to. funny how the motors take turns being the best

70's-Tecumseh H series/Kohler K Series
80's-Mid 90's-The I/C Briggs Era
90's-2000's-Honda GX series
2010's-Briggs Vanguard Series(my opinion)

I thought they only built the bigger powerheads for merc, but u may be right. I had a 2001 25hp yamaha 2 cyl 2 stroke that I bought new and it was a really reliable motor. I had it on a 14' lund and it went like a bat out of hell. I would get numerous comments on how fast it went when i was by myself...however it was almost dangerous because it was a shallow transom (15") lund and it was pretty squirrely

Not sure if the 25hp power head was made be Yamaha now that I think about it. Had one from the 80s' and it looked just like this one which is an 04. But Merc and Yamaha worked together for quite some time and shared technology. Friend had a 25 Yamaha that looked just like a Merc?

25 on a light 14' would be squirrely but fun. :msp_smile: I had this jet on a 14' for awhile and it was dangerous. It's on a 17'-42" wide Alweld now, perfect boat for the kind of fishing we do in these shallow rocky rivers here in the Ozarks.

Like mentioned, would be underpowered, low on technology, and heavy, just like their 4 wheelers. :laugh:

I have a cr500 that just might become a saw. I make that the equivelent of four Mac 125's

Lots of Honda powered saws, BIKESAWS

Serioulsy if Honda make saws you can bet SawTroll wouldn't like them and Brad would be making power gains with them the minute they were on the shelves. And only if they had a 6 cube would they get a certain members approval.

Shot this vid of Randy and his CRF 450 a few years back near Springfeild Or. Farleys GTG

Sound is bad cause that saw was reeel loud and was too close.

Randy had his own vid up but cant find it now.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HYCt0BYtgj0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure if the 25hp power head was made be Yamaha now that I think about it. Had one from the 80s' and it looked just like this one which is an 04. But Merc and Yamaha worked together for quite some time and shared technology. Friend had a 25 Yamaha that looked just like a Merc?
u 42" wide Alweld now, perfect boat for the kind of fishing we do in these shallow rocky rivers here in the Ozarks.
ya i'm not sure like i say u may be right it may have been built by yamaha, but i don't know for sure. i agree with the rest when it came to the 80's 3 wheelers honda were awesome, but I have a 84' yamaha 200ES and i think it is a pretty good machine too. I also have a 95' ford taurus sho with a yamaha motor in it with 240k that has been an awesome car. i do agree with most and say that honda was the leader back in the early 80's , but i think yamaha has caught and surpassed them since then in outboards, 4 wheelers, etc.

Honda can build a sweet 2 stroke motor, i would not trade my 88 250r for anything. Go to the dunes and it gets more looks than anything. Wins a few races also.:rock:

Let's see what a Honda chainsaw would be like. 125cc. 4 stroke. Oval cylinder and piston. 2 connecting rods. DOHC with 8 valves and pnumatic valve closure. Made from unoptainium. Gear drive. 20000 RPM. Direct injection. Watercooled. Under 15lbs for the powerhead. All for under $50000 !

NR500 fan I see. I do think Yamaha is the leader in two stroke motors, although a KTM saw would be cool.

2012 MotoGP World Champion Jorge Lorenzo.

Yamaha M1. ;)

8179484890_029ae0fd0e.jpg

I sold Honda boat motors back in the 80s' when the largest size was 15 HP. Very high quality!!!

Husqvarna makes a bad ass motor cycle. :msp_smile:
Better check your facts there fella, the only husky on those bikes is the name. a little german company known as BMW makes those bikes now........because just like their saws they were/are not capable of doing it on their own:msp_tongue:

I'd be curious as to what some of the Honda crew, from back when...
could do with Hondas, 2 cycle R&D,
to bulid that elusive quiet~ish yet makes good power exhaust
for a saw.
-
long write up here,
But interesting if you liked the 70's~80's era of 2 wheel "Horse Power wars"

Honda CBX History: The CBX is an immensely...

[ just a snippet here.]

Honda has always used careful exhaust system design to extract horsepower. But when the young engineers sat down at the banquet that was to be the CBX they reached beyond conventional aspirations of exhaust performance and towards the outer limits of motorcycle fantasy.

The journalists are at dinner with Mr. Irimajiri, Chief Designer Otsuka, American R&D Research Administrator Ken Nakagawa, and Senior Research Engineer (and former racer) Minoru Sato.

"From the beginning," Irimajiri explained, "our Six produced a smooth jetlike exhaust sound. But with an ordinary exhaust arrangement, it wasn't that close to a jet. We thought if we worked on it we could come up with a motorcycle sound like no one has ever heard before.

"So we sent some engineers to the Hyakuri Japanese Air Force base in Chiba prefecture. For ten days they tape-recorded the sound of Phantom jet fighters, and then came back and designed an exhaust system for the CBX that could duplicate that sound. When I heard it for the first time I was amazed; they had captured the Phantom sound perfectly."

"I rode the bike at our Suzuka test circuit," Sato said. "We had the HERT endurance racers out at the same time. It was crazy. The Six, with its Phantom exhaust, made me feel like I was going 200 when I was only going 100. The bike's sound had a feel - a noise quality and texture - completely different from anything I have ever experienced. It sounded better than the HERT bikes."

"After that," Irimajiri went on, "we contacted Mr. Kume. We told him we had something we wanted him to hear. He came, he listened, and he said, 'You've gone too far. The feeling of that noise is just too much. We cannot build motorcycles that sound like jet fighters.' "

So, Irimajiri concluded, they had to scrap the Phantom exhaust and build something more sensible. Now the bike sounds like a Porsche. But somewhere, collecting what passes for dust in the hospital-clean Asaka research facility, in the company of other experimental components which like Hemingway's Old Man went out too far, rests a mystical arrangement of pipes, tubes, baffles and screens which if attached to a certain six-cylinder, 24-valve engine, gives off the transcendental whoop of a deadly weapon of war.

My point was that they did, and they still could, under certain EPA provisions, that will never happen.

They still have the technology, but it's not being used as of right now.

Your saying they're cheaping up thier producds like Stihl and Husky did with all thier saws except the pro ones. . I know guys with 20 year old 4 wheelers that haven't been to the shop vs Polaris that are in the shop all the time. Steve

Let's see what a Honda chainsaw would be like. 125cc. 4 stroke. Oval cylinder and piston. 2 connecting rods. DOHC with 8 valves and pnumatic valve closure. Made from unoptainium. Gear drive. 20000 RPM. Direct injection. Watercooled. Under 15lbs for the powerhead. All for under $50000 !

IIRC, that thing burned to the ground the first time out....ceramic pistons!

OTOH, when I was looking for a string trimmer/brush cutter, I was looking into the Stihls. I thought I wanted a 2 stroke because of the issues with the 4-mix engines, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $ for the Stihl. I bought a Honda 35cc and love it! It may be a bit on the heavy side, but its quiet, starts easily, no worries about stale pre-mix, and uses about 1/3 the fuel. Vibration is minimal. BTW, these are not dry sump. Husqvarna is or was using the Honda engines on their 4 cycle string trimmers.

4 cycle chainsaw? Honda should be able to make it work if anyone can.

Latest posts

Back