If HONDA made a line of chainsaws.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like mentioned, would be underpowered, low on technology, and heavy, just like their 4 wheelers. :laugh:

Eek. I'm a big Yamaha fan (used to race a WR450, and currently own an RD350 and a new Super Tenere), but I wouldn't trade my Honda Rincon for a Yamaha anything if someone had a gun to my head.

Eek. I'm a big Yamaha fan (used to race a WR450, and currently own an RD350 and a new Super Tenere), but I wouldn't trade my Honda Rincon for a Yamaha anything if someone had a gun to my head.

What about a brute force?

I've had Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and ALOT of Honda's. I am now riding a Harley Electra glide. It's got plenty of power...new andrews cams last year and the bike has more power than I need! And I don't ride slow.

As far as a saw...it would be four-stoke, under powered, over engineered (it would have gps and a cup holder) and would cost $2000. It would smooth and refined, you wouldn't even be able to hear it running, it would have a complex catalytic converter and produce no emmission, it would have a hybrid drive system with an electric motor and backup battery and have no charachter as all!

A :censored: Prius you say?

What about a brute force?

Depends what you want it for, I guess. A buddy of mine has a 750. It's a nice rig. Fast, and power wheelies like my Rincon never would. I ride with a lot of guys with the latest Polaris, Yamaha, Can-Ams, etc. If you want to go fas on your 800lb 4WD rig, Hondas probably aren't for you. To me it's like lipstick on a pig or calling my 381hp Tundra "fast." I use and depend on my ATVs, and tend to keep them for a while. That makes Honda my preference.

Just my $.02.

I can imagine a harley chainsaw. Like one of those 60s models, only all in chrome, a leather pouch for your scrench. Muff mod comes stock. Lots of torque and low chain speed :D

In my mind, there was never nothing wrong with Honda two-strokes. I have a CR 250 that will jump a bus. My kid has a CR 80 with some mods that will take me @225 Pounds screaming up a hill. They could make a chainsaw if needed. The old stuff was air cooled. No problem. I bought a 1980 Honda Prelude from a surfer in Arizona in the early nineties for $100. My buddy was in charge of the maintenence at the airport in Tucson, and I had access to their area at night. With a little tuneup, carb diaphrams, some brakes and new tires, she would get almost 50 MPG. I think it had a 1600 or 1700 CC engine and would do 90 all day. Todays GX series Hondas for small equipment are done in Thailand, I haven't warmed up yo that, yet. You should be able to get Japanese made stuff from them.

What if Harley-Davidson made a saw?. Now THERE would be a boat-anchor!!!

Yeah, it would be a ape hanger top handle with tool pouch saddle bags and a radio!:laugh::laugh:

That has been built.......

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P4Fx5JeWdW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before Honda pulled out of the 2 stroke market...the CR250 was one of the top winning bikes in AMA motocross. Jeremy McGrath rode the steel framed model (and won the overall championship) for several years on a steel framed CR250 after the aluminum model was out. It wasn't too long after he was made to switch the the newer "better" model that he quit riding Honda's.

Um, not quite. The first aluminum framed CR250R was 1997. Jeremy and Honda couldn't agree on a contract that year, so he went to Suzuki where he finished 2nd. The next year McGrath returned to championship form abord a Yamaha, where he won until eventually being dethroned by Ricky Carmichael.

They actually claimed 70HP, about the same as the 1984 GPz-550 I bought for my girlfriend in 1988. I had a GSX-R1100 back then. 434 lbs, 130HP.

Um, not quite. The first aluminum framed CR250R was 1997. Jeremy and Honda couldn't agree on a contract that year, so he went to Suzuki where he finished 2nd. The next year McGrath returned to championship form abord a Yamaha, where he won until eventually being dethroned by Ricky Carmichael.

McGrath was famous for always riding his '92-even in subsequent years.Apparently,he hated the handling of '93 and the following years so used his 92 disguised to look like the later models.Once they went to aluminum frames,he went.He only lost the championship on his Suzuki by one point.If I remember correctly,he had a wheel blown out after having it damaged by another bike so DNF'd one race.People said he couldn't win on Suzuki-if not for mishaps,he would have-and nearly did anyway.

Billm67-that's always how the Honda thing goes.Their reputation leads to your kind of story and it becomes accepted truth-even when it is actually nowhere close.

Last edited:
I basically agree here. The brightest spot AFAIC was the 2001 CR250R, the last of their reed valved 2-stroke 250s (they went case-reed afterwards). 2nd gen aluminum frame wasn't bad (after normal suspension tweeks) and Honda finally stopped trying to mimic the KX mid-burst motor and made a free-revving mid-&-up screamer that was really fun to ride. If it weren't for the all-dominant YZ250 motor (essentially the same ten years later - EXCELLENT motor), I'd have picked the '01 CR as the best that year.

True,they tried to get power out of a case reed 250 and,unlike KTM,Honda couldn't do it.
On the other hand,I liked the final electronic pv'd CR.No powerhouse but smooth linear power power mated to excellent suspension made it a great,and much overlooked,woods bike.I'm a YZ250 fan myself,and currently ride one.
Rumour is Yamaha,KTM or Husky may have a Direct Injection two stroke in a year or so.:cool2:

Cecil has a good running Honda chainsaw.
[video=youtube_share;QScgd-yMqLM]http://youtu.be/QScgd-yMqLM[/video]

Back