If you had to buy a chainsaw from Amazon...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kick in an extra $100 and get a 6421. Great saw. Love mine.Makita Model DCS 6421 Chainsaw with 20" Bar & Chain:Amazon:Home Improvement

I would love to - but it is sold through Amazon by Bailey's - not by Amazon.

The reasonable quality saws sold by Amazon are pretty much limited to:

Husqvarna 460 Rancher
Husqvarna 450
Makita DCS510
Makita DCS460
Tanaka (I don't know enough about these.)
Solo (I don't know enough about these either.)

Solo is completely unknown to me and I need to research them some. I didn't order a saw today, but will tomorrow and just pay the extra $3.95.

It seems I've read that the Solo 652 is a decent saw.

Wasn't here a monster thread about how many tanks a member had put through his before any troubles? I think it was in the hundreds.

I guess the monster thread I was thinking about was about an Efco 152.

Last edited:
Sell your amazon gift cards and then order a 346xp online. Thats what I'd do.

Nay.

I also *really* need the saw by Thursday. I need to spend part of the 4 day weekend doing some clearing for a cabin site.

I can always get a 346XP (plus some bigger saw) in a couple of years.

Tanaka makes a good saw, but most of the ones on Amazon are small (under 35cc) and light-duty models.

Make sure you're aware of Amazon's return policy on gas powered equipment. They will not allow returns on chainsaws, no exceptions. So you will be stuck with whatever choice you make. I would only buy a saw from Amazon if I was 100% sure of the model I wanted.

The Makita's are piston and cylinder on a crankcase saws, more metal, less plastic. The Husky's are clam shell saws, more plastic, less metal. Makita's are made by Dolmar one of the oldest if not the oldest chainsaw manufacturer in the world. I would choose one of the Makita's myself.

I need a chainsaw. For complicated reasons, I need to order it from Amazon.com - preferably today. Soooo, my choices are limited.

My best options are probably:

Makita DCS510
Makita DCS460
Husqvarna 460
Husqvarna 450

I am leaning toward the Husqvarna 450. What do you think?

I want a Husqvarna 346XP, but those aren't sold online.

They carry Husqvarna, Makita, Tanaka, and the usual Poulan crap with a few Redmax, Hitachi, etc mixed in.

This will be my first new chainsaw after years of using borrowed Jonsereds and Poulans.

I will be cutting mostly firewood, also some land clearing. Firewood trees will probably max out at 14" - 16" diameter and be mostly oak.
You know awhile back Amazon.com had a 156 Efco under the Cub Cadet label for $300. In IMHO the best deal out there.

Definitely Dolmar,
Or if you can find that Efco Cub Cadet 156 for $300 that is the most saw for the money, and that comes from a huge Dolmar fan.

My biggest concern about the Husqvarna 450 and 460 is the possibility that there is too much plastic and not enough magnesium.

My biggest concern about the Makitas (Dolmars) is the possibility that there is too much aluminum and not enough magnesium.

Too much aluminum is a hundred times better than too much plastic.

Remember that the aluminum is also a split case construction just like a pro magnesium is, not so the plastic clamshell.

I feel the husky are not as desirable because they are a clam shell design and are heavier for the power they produce.

In this case, the Husqvarna 450 actually has a significant edge in power-to-weight:

Husq. 450: 3.2hp/11.3 lbs
Dolmar 510: 3.3 hp/12.1 lbs

Latest posts

Back