If you were to buy a new saw 60 cc and under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Husqvarna 555... Does that count? Would buy a Jonsered 2260 before any other option at this point. Problem is it's too much fun turning junk into good running saws so before I would buy anything new I think I'll just keep doing what I do... next on the list, a Farmer Jones built 359/357 with tweaked intake and transfer port timing and increased compression. Oh yea... a muffler mod. I have a 357 in the pile.... Have a piston.. (Meteor)... Have a lathe to trim the cylinder... torches to mod the muffler... die grinders and all that related stuff. Now just need the time. Mean while the 555 does 60cc duties when required.

But in reality a "Farmer Jones" built Husqvarna 350 (Fugly 350) and 372 with a tweaked Huztl BB cylinder & muffler (Cyclops) do almost all the work. Also out ready to go is a 365/372 hybrid as a back up saw & Jonsered 920 for big work.... the rest sit on a shelf in the "retirement home", a closet where they stay dry.

If they have a 241 already which they do, I see no need for a saw so close to the 241? 362c or 441c

The 241 is for my dad it is his Xmas present this year. We don't cut together as much as I would like

10 cube 090?

Sounds fun.

I have a Husqvarna 555... Does that count? Would buy a Jonsered 2260 before any other option at this point. Problem is it's too much fun turning junk into good running saws so before I would buy anything new I think I'll just keep doing what I do... next on the list, a Farmer Jones built 359/357 with tweaked intake and transfer port timing and increased compression. Oh yea... a muffler mod. I have a 357 in the pile.... Have a piston.. (Meteor)... Have a lathe to trim the cylinder... torches to mod the muffler... die grinders and all that related stuff. Now just need the time. Mean while the 555 does 60cc duties when required.

But in reality a "Farmer Jones" built Husqvarna 350 (Fugly 350) and 372 with a tweaked Huztl BB cylinder & muffler (Cyclops) do almost all the work. Also out ready to go is a 365/372 hybrid as a back up saw & Jonsered 920 for big work.... the rest sit on a shelf in the "retirement home", a closet where they stay dry.

I do not mind making a good saw. I just want to get one that I know will be good for a long time. Plus I always end up more $ into a used saw than it deserves.

I guess its just personal preference and depends on what u cut and how. For me Ive had every size Stihl except the 660/661. I got rid of the 026,261, 441 and went with a 241c, ported 362c, husky 262xp and a ported 461 and couldnt be happier for cutting firewood. If I had to choose 2 saws it would be a 241 and a ported 441c. If picking just 1 saw a ported 441c

This is my current 3 saw plan, Little one is 40cc with 13" bar middle one is 82cc 20" bar 8 tooth rim. Big one is 100cc 40" bar. I don't bother swapping b/c on any of them,

I have 3 of the little ones 13".325x9, 14"3/8, 16"3/8- 10lb pho

3 82cc saws 20" 3/8x8 24" 3/8x7 and 30" -14.5lb pho

2 big ones 40" .404 and 60"- 19.5lb pho

You may notice the biggest thing these are lacking 1,Safty 2,Antivibe

I have a bunch of 60cc saws but quit using them because if the 40 wont do it I switch to the 82.

I think a strong 50cc ported saw will fill the gap I have better than a 60. As you can see nothing is standard with my setup's If I have a different need I just grab another saw.

As earlier mentioned in this thread I am no pro, so I don't necessarily need the fastest saw. Just one good one with a do everything attitude. I am used to big clumsy Torque saw's and it sounds like a ported 261 fits the bill very well.

Again thank everybody for the help, and Happy holidays.:happybanana:

Joe

Don't want to sound too negativ, but it looks like your equipment is ready for the sideline. Definately great stuff but just not adequate anymore by todays standards as you have already analyzed!

Think seriously about a dolmar 421! That 42 cc saw is one of those little torque monsters and thinks and behaves as if it had 50cc. It is just as well built like any pro saw out there(just ask some others f.e. Kenjax trees what he thinks of it). Pricewise I can only comment what a few members mentioned around 330$ incl. shipping. Definately won't fill the 50 void in larger wood but will work just as fine in the smaller stuff. I have not read of a single disappointed user here either pro or hobby user. After that the 60 cc would be my second choice! Pricewise a new 261 + porting might cost you about as much as a nice 40 & 60cc combo.

But of course you will not go wrong with a ported 261. That is surely a strong saw.

Don't want to sound too negativ, but it looks like your equipment is ready for the sideline. Definately great stuff but just not adequate anymore by todays standards as you have already analyzed!

Think seriously about a dolmar 421! That 42 cc saw is one of those little torque monsters and thinks and behaves as if it had 50cc. It is just as well built like any pro saw out there. Pricewise I can only comment what a few members mentioned around 330$ incl. shipping. Definately won't fill the 50 void in larger wood but will work just as fine in the smaller stuff. I have not read of a single disappointed user here either pro or hobby user. After that the 60 cc would be my second choice! Pricewise a new 261 + porting might cost you about as much as a nice 40 & 60cc combo.

But of course you will not go wrong with a ported 261. That is surely a strong saw.

I agree, The one that gets the most use is the 82cc cut very well and quick for 20" and larger wood.

My only issue with dolmar is no local dealers, My local hardware has had a 421, 6400 for 2 years because they ordered them on accident. My options are a new stihl/ or something in the trading post.

I agree a new 261+a port job = 40cc and 60cc other brand, But I don't want to completely sideline the old buggers yet. But, I might have to thin the heard a little bit

Well, Joe, I LIKED your thread. And your old Homelites. Great job of posing questions and keeping responders focused. Generated a lot of useful info for us hobby-ist weekend warriors. Merry Christmas!

Thank you, An Merry Christmas to you, and yours.

I can see where someone would want a 60cc do it all saw,but I prefer to have a 50cc and a 70cc saw...jmho

Yep, I'm going to start with a good strong 50cc and see where it takes me.

I agree, The one that gets the most use is the 82cc cut very well and quick for 20" and larger wood.

My only issue with dolmar is no local dealers, My local hardware has had a 421, 6400 for 2 years because they ordered them on accident. My options are a new stihl/ or something in the trading post.

I agree a new 261+a port job = 40cc and 60cc other brand, But I don't want to completely sideline the old buggers yet. But, I might have to thin the heard a little bit
Never said completely! I unpack the contra every now and then, but only when the wood is really worth it.

Of course having a dealer close by is always a great thing. Didn't know that Homelite still had dealers out there...

Don't want to deter you from your plan, just want to show options.

The 241 is for my dad it is his Xmas present this year. We don't cut together as much as I would like

Sounds fun.

I do not mind making a good saw. I just want to get one that I know will be good for a long time. Plus I always end up more $ into a used saw than it deserves.

This is my current 3 saw plan, Little one is 40cc with 13" bar middle one is 82cc 20" bar 8 tooth rim. Big one is 100cc 40" bar. I don't bother swapping b/c on any of them,

I have 3 of the little ones 13".325x9, 14"3/8, 16"3/8- 10lb pho

3 82cc saws 20" 3/8x8 24" 3/8x7 and 30" -14.5lb pho

2 big ones 40" .404 and 60"- 19.5lb pho

You may notice the biggest thing these are lacking 1,Safty 2,Antivibe

I have a bunch of 60cc saws but quit using them because if the 40 wont do it I switch to the 82.

I think a strong 50cc ported saw will fill the gap I have better than a 60. As you can see nothing is standard with my setup's If I have a different need I just grab another saw.

As earlier mentioned in this thread I am no pro, so I don't necessarily need the fastest saw. Just one good one with a do everything attitude. I am used to big clumsy Torque saw's and it sounds like a ported 261 fits the bill very well.

Again thank everybody for the help, and Happy holidays.:happybanana:

Joe
Do you wake up with numb hands from them paint shakers?

Never said completely! I unpack the contra every now and then, but only when the wood is really worth it.

Of course having a dealer close by is always a great thing. Didn't know that Homelite still had dealers out there...

Don't want to deter you from your plan, just want to show options.

Thank you for bringing up the options. That is why I started this thread, what doesn't necessarily help me might help others.

No homelite dealers that I know of, just lots of them hiding in barns around these parts.

You helped me make an informed decision, and I thank you for that.

Do you wake up with numb hands from them paint shakers?

Paint shaker? That is bolted to the floor in the barn. lol

But No I am still young. Although these "paint shakers" are probably speeding the ageing process.

Paint shaker? That is bolted to the floor in the barn. lol

But No I am still young. Although these "paint shakers" are probably speeding the ageing process.

Well I was young too and now I have that problem get a saw that dont vibrate. I had all the Homelites I had the Xl-2 X-l2 925 super and a 1130 G.

Having a local dealer is nice but not necessary unless you buy stihl. Lots and Lots of online sources for parts and even complete saws if you choose to Dolmar, Husky, or Jred

Wish I could like a post twice! Well said! I just built a 357xp and a old 346xp. Will be doin another 357 soon.
Ported 357 is definitely a Favorite!!! & the 555 is probably the best 'new' firewood saw on the market now.

Having a local dealer is nice but not necessary unless you buy stihl. Lots and Lots of online sources for parts and even complete saws if you choose to Dolmar, Husky, or Jred

There really is only Husky to choose from in the 50 and 60cc classes these days, unless you can live with the handlebar angle (or lack of it) on the red versions (Jonsered).

Latest posts

Back