I'm going to have to slow down...had a mild cardiac infraction Sunday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to slow down on my firewood gathering and such. Had bad chest pains Sunday afternoon. Wife drove me to the clinic where they did an EKG and said 'YUP, your having a heart attack"! Quick ride to he hospital with the cath lab and here I am. I think the hardest part for me is going to be the new diet.

I guess I'm going to have to slow down on my firewood gathering and such. Had bad chest pains Sunday afternoon. Wife drove me to the clinic where they did an EKG and said 'YUP, your having a heart attack"! Quick ride to he hospital with the cath lab and here I am. I think the hardest part for me is going to be the new diet.
The diet will make you feel better and live longer stay strong mentally and do it. When can you start exercising?

Thank Goodness you had a "warning" instead of a total melt down

You are one of the lucky ones Dave. I hope the new diet change is the ONLY, "hardest" thing you will face. My thoughts are with you my friend.

If you're having a bypass, the diet thing will be a heavy lift. You might lose your sense of taste depending on the procedure. My dad in law got really bummed not being able to taste. The silver lining is that bad for you food will taste like rice cakes, so at least there's less incentive to eat bad. If bacon and kale both taste like ****, wtf is the use if cheating.

Best of luck man.

If you're having a bypass, the diet thing will be a heavy lift. You might lose your sense of taste depending on the procedure. My dad in law got really bummed not being able to taste. The silver lining is that bad for you food will taste like rice cakes, so at least there's less incentive to eat bad. If bacon and kale both taste like ****, wtf is the use if cheating.

Best of luck man.
Bacon grease on kale is pretty good!
I was lucky, they caught my heart attack while I was getting my physical. Very little pain, just a tiny bit below the right side ribs, I complained, the doc ran another blood test, came back and gave me blood thinners called the ambulance and rushed me to the hospital. Said I wouldn't have completed the drive home.
They put a stint in and after just a month the doc said I could resume normal activity. I explained normal was climbing trees and splitting wood with a maul, and he said "Go for it".
I have always eaten healthy so that was no problem, post stint.
I think my heart problem was caused by lack of activity caused by a busted up leg and ankle that took forever to get well. Over two years and no more heart problems and I'm still splitting wood. Just have to be a little more careful, a scratch now bleeds like a bad cut used to.
Hope you have as good a recovery as I did. Of course, if you have to go the by-pass route it's a whole different story. Hang in there and follow your heart doctor's orders to the letter!

Good to hear of folks who're still above-ground. Best wishes, and give 'em hell.

Thank you all again,
no bypass, just blood thinners and new blood pressure medicines, and of course diet.
I did smoke and they say that is what caused it. I'm done with them. (smokes that is)
They did the catheter but no stint, my veins are too un-uniform. Some skinny and some fat.
I'm glad to hear others have recovered fine and are able to resume their daily tasks.
dave

Got me a Stint at the age of 46.
That was two years back. I was already doing everthing correctely.
Dr. said my liver just dont process fat correctely. The liver is not diesed or anything it just cant handle "modern" fat.
So, My colesterol was high at 215. Some folks can take colesterol that high and some cant. I cant.
I have a "tiny" scar on my heart that will heal over time. Now... I am doing fine. I WILL NOT eat hydroganated oils.
Have to take a colesteroll pill and a small bata blocker. May get to drop the bata blocker in another year.
Start walking..... Two miles a day will help a lot. Four will change your life.
This is a wake up call.... MAKE THE BEST OF IT.
Glad you are doing better.

David

You can turn it around. My uncle had his heart attack in his early 60's and of course he was recommended a diet and exercise program. He followed it to the T. He got better than he was before and I was still cutting wood with him when he was in his 80's. At 96 he died of causes unrelated to his heart. I've seen very few people stick with the program though and then the problem continues. You can do it.

dave_dj1; glad you're pulling through. I've been there too, and have one stint. Hope you get your BP straightened out. It took me years of prayer, a few more close calls, and changing of Dr's, but I'm much better now.

glad to hear that you are doing ok. I am 50 and have had 3 so far. No stints as of now. Heart attacks run in my family so I guess its my luck. Do as the doc says and diet is very important. Also watch stress as it is a killer. Good luck.

Back