Impact wrenchs are no no for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Just had this saw come in. Fellow used a impact wrench to remove the clutch. Though this doesn't always happen its a good idea never to use a impact wrench on a chainsaw. Look at his flywheel key, history.

attachment.php

Let me guess, MS180, MS250? I feel a impact is the safest way on these, but the flywheel has to come off first or exactly that will happen. I'll never have another piston stop in a 180 after bending a rod and poking a hole through a piston on a MS180. Mr. Hall, you've had a lot more of these apart than I have. How do you do it?

Was he trying to turn it the wrong way?

Beats me. He just said the saw wasn't oiling right so he wanted to check the pump. He said the clutch part broke. I asked how did you take the clutch off. He said impact wrench, I said ut oh and told him why he should never do that. After he left I put the saw on the bench and found out myself what I told him was true..

Looking at the clutch, he almost had to be turning it the wrong way to break it off like that, I would think. I've talked to other people who say that the impact wrench is the way to go.

Let me guess, MS180, MS250? I feel a impact is the safest way on these, but the flywheel has to come off first or exactly that will happen. I'll never have another piston stop in a 180 after bending a rod and poking a hole through a piston on a MS180. Mr. Hall, you've had a lot more of these apart than I have. How do you do it?

That saw is a 290. Constant slow even pressure is the best way to remove a clutch. No jerking on the ratchet or breaker bar. A steady slow constant power down is the best way to remove a clutch. I've never damaged any saw using that method. The constant slow power down method works best for me with a breaker bar. Any jerking or yanking can cause the piston to pop though I've never busted one using my slow steady method...

1127 stamped on the clutch means its a 290/310/390 saw. 250 would be the 1123 stamp. Bigger saw model here. I use a rope piston stop. Keeps the flywheel from shearing. Chances are the guy used a wrench on the flywheel nut to freeze the piston (bad idea) and hammered on the impact wrench. May have forgotten to reverse the wrench on the clutch side.

Last edited:
Looking at the clutch, he almost had to be turning it the wrong way to break it off like that, I would think. I've talked to other people who say that the impact wrench is the way to go.

Well like I said they don't always cause damage but man when they do its costly. That key is built into that flywheel, he'll need a new flywheel at the tune of around 90 bucks. I'm sure many have survived a impact wrench but it sure hurts the pocket book when one doesn't....

Well like I said they don't always cause damage but man when they do its costly. That key is built into that flywheel, he'll need a new flywheel at the tune of around 90 bucks. I'm sure many have survived a impact wrench but it sure hurts the pocket book when one doesn't....

Ouch. And a piece of rope goes for about what? Say...30 cents?

To be fair, I've had my share "why did I do that!??!"

Naaaaa I'll fix that one, tant no biggie. Price of that flywheel may break his heart but he'll learn from it,LOLOL

Dayum Tommy, you are gonna break his credit card but good! You may even reverse this economic situation in the US with the price of that flywheel and clutch as well. Talk about bailout costs! :cheers:

I tried to read the series number but couldn't make it out. Anytime the saw has the key molded into the flywheel you definately want to remove it first. The 180 I popped hole in the piston was with a plastic piston stop and a wrench. The one I bent the rod on was a rope and a wrench. I would think the 290 would stand up to it though. I just tore a 029 Super down last night and noticed the aluminum key.

Ouch. And a piece of rope goes for about what? Say...30 cents?

To be fair, I've had my share "why did I do that!??!"

Well now the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. I asked the man if he had a piston stop, he never heard of such a thing. So I pulled one out my box, explained to him how to use it and to be gentle when applying pressure to removes clutches. He was like wow, thanks. He went to hand me back the piston stop and I said keep it. He like was like thanks man, your alright.

When I fix his old saw up and give him the bill I hope he remembers I'm alright,LOLOL

Dayum Tommy, you are gonna break his credit card but good! You may even reverse this economic situation in the US with the price of that flywheel and clutch as well. Talk about bailout costs! :cheers:

LOLOLOL, cost of ed un ma cation is high man, LOLOL

Reminds me of a sign at the old car repair place in town:

Standard labor per hour: $35
Labor per hour if you tried to fix it: $50

Latest posts

Back