Impact wrenchs are no no for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I'll take this one to task.... what the :censored: I'm bored.

How much force does it take to loosen a chainsaw clutch??????

If it was torqued right when put on not a whole lot. If its the spun on with a impact wrench who knows. If the impact wrench is set by someone not knowing which way the clutch comes off then its a matter then of how much hammering can the clutch take along with the flywheel getting that same hammering through the crank. Can cause carriers to break and sheer flywheel keys, I actually had one do that this week, even took a picture of it, LOL

For a Stihl chainsaw, no other pics of busted parts. I had a boss had me running taps with nuts brazed on to chase threads in engine blocks with an impact and I never broke one. I do know when to quit with one, I guess when I see Stihl's best selling saw.

For a Stihl chainsaw, no other pics of busted parts. I had a boss had me running taps with nuts brazed on to chase threads in engine blocks with an impact and I never broke one. I do know when to quit with one, I guess when I see Stihl's best selling saw.

Well Marco you seem to be implieing there must be something wrong with that clutch carrier since it broke under a impact wrench. It must be a Stihl flaw or something. That said how bout you send me one of your Dolmars and lets see if I can break it with a impact wrench like that guy did that Stihl. Take note now we don't know which way he was trying to take it off so it won't matter which way I take yours off, are you game???

I'm talking of one I took off.

Even so you seem to be implieing there's some sort of flaw with them Stihl's and thats all fine and well if thats whatcha think. I thought I did everyone a favor by showing what a impact wrench can do. I also said many survive the impact wrench but some don't. I never thought it would wind down to how come we don't see broken clutches on Husky/J-red, Dolmar or Poulan. This wasn't meant for brand wars, only to provide some good info on why not to use a impact wrench on chainsaws.

I've yet to see any info thats shows why its a good thing to use a impact wrench on something the manufactures tell you not to use one on. Have you got any good info for me that will make me wanna start using impact wrenches on clutches, if so please share..

Well this turned out to be no fun..... and I'm still bored. :rolleyes:

True, tant no fun arguing the obvious. Tomorrow I will post some pics of some orange juice fuel I found in a saw today, you won't beleive your eyes..

Ohhhh...... Try me...... :laugh: I fixed one today that a fella poored antifreeze in the fuel tank and yanked and yanked and coulden't figure out why it wouldn't start. :laugh:

:cheers:

Nope and you didn't tell them to pull the starter rope out and hold it, reinsert stopper, turn clutch until piston runs back into stopper and then release rope. Easier on the starter, but hey tell them just enough to get them in trouble, it'll cost them.

Ohhhh...... Try me...... :laugh: I fixed one today that a fella poored antifreeze in the fuel tank and yanked and yanked and coulden't figure out why it wouldn't start. :laugh:

Dayuummmmmmmmm I thought orange fuel would be a hit, now you got green, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,LOLOL

Wait a minute, my orange juice fuel has pulp floating in it, does that count for anything,LOLOLOL

Had two pullons come in today.... man says first one started and then smoked and then quit..... the other one he couldn't get started. :laugh:........ it's a damn good thing cause he had straight gas in both of them. :dizzy:

Wanted me to make one good saw out of the booth of them
:laugh:

Nope and you didn't tell them to pull the starter rope out and hold it, reinsert stopper, turn clutch until piston runs back into stopper and then release rope. Easier on the starter, but hey tell them just enough to get them in trouble, it'll cost them.

Now your 100% right on that. I tellem if you have any issues bring it back. Its those that try to fix them theirselves not knowing what they are doing that get in trouble. Your right though, he's gonna pay for his mistake,:cheers::cheers:

Had two pullons come in today.... man says first one started and then smoked and then quit..... the other one he couldn't get started. :laugh:........ it's a damn good thing cause he had straight gas in both of them. :dizzy:

Wanted me to make one good saw out of the booth of them
:laugh:

Awww I can top that. Got a fairly new TS420 that came in today. Complaint , won't start. Pull the gas cap, pure gas. Do a compression test,
80 pounds. $1029.95 saw in fairly new condition. Bet it hasn't run 5 hours yet. He's gotsa payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Some saws starters don't require that you do that. So maybe a procedure that you can get away with or one that is necessry on one saw isn't required for another.

True. Most times I pull the starter assembly off when using a piston stop, only takes a few seconds. That way I can check crank play while I got it open.

The biggest mistakes I see by those trying to do things themselves is they simply don't have the right tools to do the job with. Just like the busted clutch carrier I showed. The man had never heard of a piston stop. He's got no buisness fooling with saws at all..

Last edited:
Education costs money, I learned about saws because when I was younger the Farmboss repair guy took a week and the 361 Johnyred guy took about 3 months. Maybe thats my problem, I don't see the quality in a new Stihl that was there 30 years ago. Makes me cranky.

I told this one a while back but......

An "older gentleman" comes into the shop with a 028 says it won't stay running..... check it out for him... straight gas. Explain it to the fella and took his saw in on trade against a nice new saw (Ex-Lax 5000)...... sold him a new fuel can (with "mix gas" written all over it with a magic marker ;)) and 5 gallons of mix fuel.......

Few days goes by and in walks the old feller with his son saying the new saw won't stay running...... you guessed it..... straight gas..... second tank of fuel. :dizzy:

Felt real bad for that old feller listening to his son give him :censored: about it..... kinda felt like warping his boys head myself before they left.... some days it just don't pay to be right.

Offered to fix that saw for him for parts at our cost and no labor but his son was just to big a Richard to let him get it fixed. :mad:

Latest posts

Back