Impact wrenchs are no no for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you're taking into account the need for a piece of equipment to work now, not a day from now, not two hours from now, but NOW. If you were finishing up on a big job for a good customer, and your cheesy high priced weed smacker quit on you, wouldn't you throw a bailing wire spring on there to get the job done on time and without having to come back? I know what my answer would be.

No question in my mind, You would. Making a silly repair like this to finish up a job is one thing, btw have you ever owned a company that would put you into such a situation?

But none the less still a big leap from making that repair to finish the job, and risking personal injury or damage to the unit, and leaving it in...then bringing the unit in for other repairs.

Now how about you explain to the class what the owner of that company, making such a repair, would be facing if that clutch came apart and injured one of his workers. How about the homeowner.

All over not taking the time to grab a $6 part, having 2 other working unit that would not preclude you from completing the project.

Good thing it wasn't a Husky, Aisle 6 would still be trying to figure out what a clutch spring is let alone informing the customer that they do not service nor have the parts available...but you might be able to find the part online.

The guy made 3 of 'em quit, there comes a time when you stop to have a professional look at the first 2 that quit, not keep on going and kill the 3rd.:biggrinbounce2:

Space, are those your trimmers?:hmm3grin2orange:
Nope. I just think Tom is missing the point here. The point is not that the repair part was $2. The point is that there is a great cost associated with stopping work and going to repair equipment, and it doesn't matter if the part costs $.02 or $80, it's going to cost you a fairly consistent amount. Making things work to get the job done is not "stupid," and I wouldn't take any business to a person who thinks I'm stupid for getting things done.

Nope. I just think Tom is missing the point here. The point is not that the repair part was $2. The point is that there is a great cost associated with stopping work and going to repair equipment, and it doesn't matter if the part costs $.02 or $80, it's going to cost you a fairly consistent amount. Making things work to get the job done is not "stupid," and I wouldn't take any business to a person who thinks I'm stupid for getting things done.

Try defending that statement to your professors.

I wouldn't take any business to a person who thinks I'm stupid for getting things done.

Well please don't take any OPE you have to Tom's and if you do, tape that conversation.:laugh:

The owner of those trimmers is a dummy, he should have had them checked out before the day of work, he costs himself more $$$ by taking short cuts. Running no guard and a 30" line should have smoked those trimmers long ago, no cheap junk from blowes or the home crapo would have took that abuse.

Well please don't take any OPE you have to Tom's and if you do, tape that conversation.:laugh:

The owner of those trimmers is a dummy, he should have had them checked out before the day of work, he costs himself more $$$ by taking short cuts. Running no guard and a 30" line should have smoked those trimmers long ago, no cheap junk from blowes or the home crapo would have took that abuse.

I've yet to see an Echo trimmer come back with a burned up clutch.

Once again, the issue is not the $6 part. The part cost is an extremely small part of the consideration.

I'm very familiar with Fix Cost, penalty clauses for completion dates, etc. You didn't answer the question, have you owned a business that required you to take all factors into consideration?

How about addressing the Liability concerns.

Those are just as much a factor in making a decision as "getting the job done". What would the law say about me disabling safety feature in order to get a job done? How does that change if I make those changes on a semi permanent basis. Thats what this customer did, he brought the units in not to make this repair, but because they didn't have enough power. I could be wrong but I'm betting Tom came across this issue on his own.

As an example, by removing a guard I can make the morning inspection on the brush chippers faster. Means I can get to the jobs sooner, and get home quicker. Perhaps even get to that other job site and make even more money (thats what your example boils down to, risking safety in order to make more money).

Your right, lots of other factors to consider. One factor that is never to be an option, as an employer, is putting unnecessary risk on employees.

Heck, I'll give you one thats even more fun. Lets say the customer broke the spring and brought the unit straight to Tom's shop. He says, well damn, I don't have it in stock but I'll make you one up out of bailing wire. This way you can get the job done.

What happens to Tom if someone get injured or the unit broken? Once Stihl got done taking him for a ride in his wood shed, can you imagine how many Lawyers would be lining up for a piece of that pie?

Last edited:
And people say lawyers are the ones who lack common sense. :censored:

So you consider putting others at risk a non factor? Once more, feel free to try and defend you comments to any of your Law Prof's. Let us know how you make out :)

You're assuming he has employees. That's a completely different situation.

No more so that you assuming that he made the repair in order to finish a job, that there was just no other way to get done.

The more reasonable would be, based on him having 3 commercial units, he has employees. Otherwise it was just him, there would be no need to make a hack repair, just to get the job done. Now, address the questions.

BTW, if he is working on a jobsite with employees or not, he still has to consider the risks to others around him. Home owners, neighbors, people walking down the street, etc.

Last edited:
attachment.php

That $2.00 spring is more like it..

I didn't know you could buy any part for a Stihl for $2 !

Heck that's cheaper then then a MS290 limiter cap from the dealers around here........

BTW, if he is working on a jobsite with employees or not, he still has to consider the risks to others around him. Home owners, neighbors, people walking down the street, etc.
An employer naturally has to take steps to ensure safe working conditions. Frankly, however, that clutch doesn't look unsafe to me. The spring is enclosed in the clutch bell, no?

An employer naturally has to take steps to ensure safe working conditions. Frankly, however, that clutch doesn't look unsafe to me. The spring is enclosed in the clutch bell, no?

Haven't taken any Liability classes, eh?

Face it, you made a foolish comment. Your business decisions sound like those made by someone mowing a few lawns in the summer as a kid. They do not hold water when it comes to business practices, has been shown your "other" considerations are faulty. It is never cheaper to risk injury to others.

To answer a few of the questions you avoided. If an employee was injured as a result of this, Workers Comp would not shield the employer. If Tom made such a silly repair, he could risk his dealership, Stihls product liability would not cover him, he would be on his own in terms of payments and legal representation.

I don't think you're taking into account the need for a piece of equipment to work now, not a day from now, not two hours from now, but NOW. If you were finishing up on a big job for a good customer, and your cheesy high priced weed smacker quit on you, wouldn't you throw a bailing wire spring on there to get the job done on time and without having to come back? I know what my answer would be.

Space your being about as orenry as the customer that owns those trimmers. If he would just leave the guards on like he was told when he bought those units I wouldn't be finding homemade springs in them, clogged mufflers, split throttle cables from constant trying to make them go, dry gearheads because he won't take 30 seconds to grease them. Everything wrong with those trimmers is his fault 100%, not the fault of the unit. If you took your S10 Chevy pickup to the brick company and loaded 4 tons of bricks on it what do you think the Chevy dealer would tell you when you come complaining my chasis snapped. He'd say thats whatcha get for being stupid.

Furthermore come 2010 he will have guards on those trimmers for his men or he'll be paying some fines. Its already in the works. People are tired of stupidy. That homemade spring could well have resulted your kid getting his eye knocked out from a flying clutch part coming across the street at 100mph. Course then you would have different point of view wouldn't you, you wouldn't be looking for any excuses for the man's stupidy, you'd be raising hell over it.

I know you think you know it all but in this case you don't and I'm happy to inform you of it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Haven't taken any Liability classes, eh?

Face it, you made a foolish comment. Your business decisions sound like those made by someone mowing a few lawns in the summer as a kid. They do not hold water when it comes to business practices, has been shown your "other" considerations are faulty. It is never cheaper to risk injury to others.

To answer a few of the questions you avoided. If an employee was injured as a result of this, Workers Comp would not shield the employer. If Tom made such a silly repair, he could risk his dealership, Stihls product liability would not cover him, he would be on his own in terms of payments and legal representation.

Good point and true. I had a saw come in last week with snapped off chainbreak handle. Man wanted a new chain put on it. I told him nope, if your going to continue to use that saw like that I'm not touching it. He said he wasn't paying to get the break handle replaced. I said fine, go up front and buy a chain and put it on yourself. He asked what's the big deal and I explained it to him. He goes well I understand but I'm not replacing that handle. I said fine, I'm not touching that saw. He left. Whether he went up front and bought a chain I don't know and don't really care, I know I did the right thing.

I'm gonna soon start replacing trimmer gaurds for those that remove them whether they want them or not and yes I'm gonna charge them. I'm only looking out for Spaces boy out in the yard pitching ball. We don't want that young man getting nailed by a flying rock from a trimmer with no guard, surely Space understands and apperciates my concern,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Back