in the market for chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:greenchainsaw: :confused: im new to the forum and am in the market for a new chainsaw.
i dont wanna go nuts but dont want a homelite rat.
any suggestions??
i am looking to cut two foot trees and some tree trimming
thanks for any advice
andy:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to AS. How much wood are you going to cut? If you're going to cut very many of those 24" trees a 70cc saw would be good. I've got a Husqvarna 372XP that works very well but there are others that are good saws too. The only problem with the 372 is that it can be heavy for limbing.

If you're going to be cutting very much wood a 2 saw plan is great. One for cutting the big stuff and a lighter one for limbing.

My votes for the Dolmar 7900, 6.3 hp, the performance of a 460+ for the price of a 361:chainsaw:

:greenchainsaw: :confused: im new to the forum and am in the market for a new chainsaw.
i dont wanna go nuts but dont want a homelite rat. any suggestions??
i am looking to cut two foot trees and some tree trimming thanks for any advice
andy:greenchainsaw:

Andy, I have a few questions that you may want to address:
(1) How much saw weight do you want to handle while you cut wood? 10 lb, 12 lb, 14 lb, or 16 lb?

(2) How long of a bar do you want to wrestle with to cut trees up to 24" dia. and all of their limbs? 16", 18", 20", 24", or 32"?

(3) How much money can you afford to spend?

(4) For how many years do you want the saw to last?

id like a good product , that with a little maint here and there will last me a while, im thinking my budget would be anywhere from 275 to a ceiling of 350.weight really isnt important to me,
thank you all for your help so far.
i think im leaning towards a husk but a poulans bad saws?
i noticed theyre a lil more affordable.
im kinda new to chainsaw. ive used a couple before but never had a need to have one like i do now.
bought a house in january and have been stokin the fireplace ever since.

Listen to all of these guys (especially the tree trimmers) and they won't set you wrong. I like Jonsered and Husqvarna saws myself, but you can't go wrong with a Stihl either.

id like a good product , that with a little maint here and there will last me a while, im thinking my budget would be anywhere from 275 to a ceiling of 350.weight really isnt important to me,
thank you all for your help so far.
i think im leaning towards a husk but a poulans bad saws?
i noticed theyre a lil more affordable.
im kinda new to chainsaw. ive used a couple before but never had a need to have one like i do now.
bought a house in january and have been stokin the fireplace ever since.

If the maximum of your budget is $350 you really only have one choice. A husqvarna 350. They sell them at your loclal Lowes, but do yourself a favor and find a local independent dealer who will offer it at the same price as well as makes sure it's properly assembled and give you some tips to boot. Stihl makes an excellent saw but I really can't think of a comperable saw that will get you out the door for the same price. Oh yeah try to stay away from poulan. Good luck

While were talkin saws, I have a stihl 290 farm boss with a 20" bar. I cut a ton of wood to feed my heatmore. i get lots of free ash but sometimes its so big i have to go all the way around it with my 20". My saw is only for home use but at least one day a week is used like a comercial saw. What would the pros recomend as my next upgrade. Longer bar or big bad saw? which saw would make my friends envious?:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

If the maximum of your budget is $350 you really only have one choice. A husqvarna 350. They sell them at your loclal Lowes, but do yourself a favor and find a local independent dealer who will offer it at the same price as well as makes sure it's properly assembled and give you some tips to boot. Stihl makes an excellent saw but I really can't think of a comperable saw that will get you out the door for the same price. Oh yeah try to stay away from poulan. Good luck

Not sure if the Husqvarna 350 is around anymore. Which really is too bad considering how much use I have gotten out of mine and it still performs like it should. I think it was replaced by the 450, if it is anything like the 350 it would serve you well. The 353 is another option.

Poulan saws are junk.

Chris

:agree2:

If you want new, despite what a bunch of people will tell you, the MS290 would be a good choice that will fit your budget. An MS270 for 349 would make a good choice also. If you prefer a Husqvarna, as you said in your previous post, new probably a 350 is going to be about the only thing in your budget.

You could go used, but it's kind of a crapshoot on finding a good one. You mentioned you are new to chainsaws, so unless you are a good wrench, you may want to steer clear because most used saws are going to need some attention (usually sooner than later), and you may go over budget if you needed to take it somewhere to get repaired.

I like Husqvarnas, but not the 350. There have been too many pictures and stories of melted lower crankcases due the mufflers loosening and bolts falling out. I think the Stihl MS290 is a better choice in this price range. It is heavier, but also more powerful. The MS270 is lighter than the 290, more on the same power level as the Husqvarna 350, but a few $$ more.

At the $400 level you're into the Dolmar 5100, and Husqvarna 353. At $450 you're looking at the Husqvarna 346XP and Stihl MS260. These are all excellent saws in the 50cc range and vary from 3.2-4hp.

Avoid saws with "tooless chain tensioners" and other gimicks.

If you can find a Dolmar dealer in your area by all means stretch your budget a bit and get a 5100s Dolmar.

This is a really great choice for anyone who may need to get by with one saw for sometime to come.

3.9hp and runs a 18" bar very well + only weighs around 14lbs.

The 5100 I picked up at a sale is the best money I've ever spent on a saw. Runs great, light enough to limb with, yet enough power to handle mid sized logs well.

The 5100 is a pro grade of saw & will last you well, yet in cost is closer to other brands home owner grade saws.

I still love my Stihl saws, but they are no better & cost a good deal more.

Spend the extra and go with the MS361. It is versatile enough for tree trimming and cutting down 24" trees. For cutting down trees that large I wouldn't go with anything that isn't a "pro" saw.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back