"In tree" gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lh3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up several times over the years but I am inadequate with the search function and it was requested that i start a thread concerning gear I haul into the trees with me. I have a basic heavy weaver saddle I attach my climbing line to. I have a flip line hanging on my right side along with my chainsaw of choice for the day and my throwline and bag. On my left side, I hang slings, hardware, rigging line and the end of the saw lanyard. If I have to rig that day, I shed most of that stuff pretty quick. Any thing else I need, I haul up with one of the lines. Let me know if I'm forgetting something or any tips you may have. I have seen pictures of climbers with far more gear than I have listed so I don't feel too out of touch. I also carry a hand saw if I'm doing a trim.

Last edited:
in tree gear

a lot of that gear you could just tie on the climbing rope and pull it up as needed. I love to have a hand saw with me even on removals. I think if you think about how and what you will need first and so on you can get most on the rope, train some help to tie it on as you need it?? This job is tough enough without hauling all the tools up on the climb. If you have to take a extry rope and tie the tools or some of them on that rope
As long as I have the tools onsite I can pick and chouse what I may need, Things look a lot different from the top than from the ground. Just have enough and tie it on as needed

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been brought up several times over the years but I am inadequate with the search function and it was requested that i start a thread concerning gear I haul into the trees with me. I have a basic heavy weaver saddle I attach my climbing line to. I have a flip line hanging on my right side along with my chainsaw of choice for the day and my throwline and bag. On my left side, I hang slings, hardware, rigging line and the end of the saw lanyard. If I have to rig that day, I shed most of that stuff pretty quick. Any thing else I need, I haul up with one of the lines. Let me know if I'm forgetting something or any tips you may have. I have seen pictures of climbers with far more gear than I have listed so I don't feel too out of touch. I also carry a hand saw if I'm doing a trim.

Have you ever gone up in the tree then while your working said to yourself "damn I wish I brought up a _ _ _ _ _" (<---insert your item here). If so I would add whatever that was to your saddle that way it will never happen again.

I would also take up a tin of Skoal, but thats just me...

+1 for the Skoal but make sure its Skoal Mint for me.

Last edited:
always bring cigarettes, lighter, pistol and anvil. (anvil so you can show how large your gonads are and pistol to keep g-men moving (blanks if you wish.))

Just the basics for me...aparently. Positioning lanyard on the right, 200 just behind that. I generally keep an extra biner or two on my left/rear near my climbing and rigging lines. Occasionally I'll have my friction saver if I envision a long time aloft. Sometimes a block and whoopie if there's a solid rig point for the majority of the removal. Other than that I'm pretty basic, old sckool.

Ok, so other than the skoal, I climb with my 200 behind my right hip, flipline with grab on the right, and some spare biners clipped to the hammer loop of my left pant leg on my carhartts. I will position myself first before I tie onto all of my rigging gear and pull it up to me so I can hang my block, etc. I try to climb with as little as possible weighing me down (I am a big beast anyway, so I dont just glide up the tree like some) and then pull up what I need once I get a good eye on the situation from the air. Naturally, have a work plan and talk it out with your guys (and gals) before you begin your work. Lay out all of the gear you need close to the base of the tree your working, and let your groundies tie it up for you as needed.

Dont forget to stock the cooler for the end of the day "safety meeting.":cheers:

Ih3 - Good post!

I climb mostly the same way, including the Weaver. However, I rarely (maybe never?) climb with a chainsaw. But, I always climb with a folding handsaw on a short lead & krab. Instead of the throwline, I use a light rope to haul up the chainsaw, water or everything else I need once topside. I keep a canvas bucket at the base if I need to haul several things at once. If there's a wasp nest, I will climb with spray rigged as a 'quick draw'.

This is going to be a good thread :cheers:

I pretty much set up like everyone else. On a removal I will also clip my climbing line to my left side for the trip up. Then if I need to pass a large limb I will tie in with my split tail and pass with my lanyard. Also the groundies can send me stuff on the end of that. I always bring my handsaw because its great for suckers and small stuff and to back up my saw. A couple beaners on my left side to hang lowering line and block on, when blocking down. And a bloodstopper just incase I really really screw up. Which has never (knock on wood) happened. Climb safe..... Mike

I have two lanyards on my saddle to help me position better, My bungee saw lanyard always stays on my saddle but I don't climb with the 200 until I get into a position to cut then call for it. My handsaw is always on my saddle. I have a little throwline bag that I carry what is needed for the particular climb; Extra biners, figure 8, prussic cord, micro pulley and whatnot. I put what I need in there for each individual climb. That includes a place to stow my ascenders now as well and my snuff is always in there. Also, I keep my cell phone clipped to the bag.

However, one of the most useful items I have been carrying on my saddle the past few years are a couple of loop runners with biners. I can use these to set a redirect for my climbing line, set a false crotch to lower small limbs with or set up a zipline very quickly. I can also use them to get a foot hold on spikeless prunes and so many other uses it is impossible for me to list them all.

I have two lanyards on my saddle to help me position better, My bungee saw lanyard always stays on my saddle but I don't climb with the 200 until I get into a position to cut then call for it. My handsaw is always on my saddle. I have a little throwline bag that I carry what is needed for the particular climb; Extra biners, figure 8, prussic cord, micro pulley and whatnot. I put what I need in there for each individual climb. That includes a place to stow my ascenders now as well and my snuff is always in there. Also, I keep my cell phone clipped to the bag.

However, one of the most useful items I have been carrying on my saddle the past few years are a couple of loop runners with biners. I can use these to set a redirect for my climbing line, set a false crotch to lower small limbs with or set up a zipline very quickly. I can also use them to get a foot hold on spikeless prunes and so many other uses it is impossible for me to list them all.

:agree2:+1 with the exception of the snuff and the cellphone (unless there's nobody around to hear me scream in an emergency maybe). Them loop runners are awesome.

200t on a bungee lanyard clipped into a pear krab on right hip.
Lanyard on left D.
Silky Sugoi on left hip.
4 slings with krabs in a bag on left butt cheek.
Figure 8 on a krab dead center rear.
2 krabs right butt cheek.

For pruning I swap the 200t for the 192t with a 12" bar.

Don't forget the Skoal lower lip.

I have to keep my cell on me. I have my business line forwarded to my cell and have to be able to answer the phone. Last time I forgot to bring it up with me I lost a job because I didn't get back to the guy quick enough. Only stumps but a job is a job. Especially in these tough times. I have also had people call me while I'm in the tree from seeing my yard sign. Lol, they get a kick out of it when I tell them that yes, I am the guy you just saw in the tree.

Other stuff

I do keep a figure 8 clipped on the extra D in front. I need a small bag for little stuff like cell phones. In another thread, 1I'd Jak was topping some big cedars and kept his climbing line in a backpack to keep it from tangling. I thought that was a great idea. I haven't encountered that situation yet as most of the trees i deal with are relatively easy to navigate(and less than 80' tall) with gear and multiple ropes.

pretty much the same gig as everyone else but i dont take the chain saw till i need it or tie in etc...

flipline on right d biners' loop runners(AS tip from another thread) back loops, silky zubut never leaves my left side, dont take much with me just call for it when i want it, no phone either that stays in the truck, ill clip my rope to the back also till i tie in or what not

Two lanyards

I climb with a 2-in-1. From your experience, do you think two lanyards would give me better positioning options?

I climb with a 2-in-1. From your experience, do you think two lanyards would give me better positioning options?

To tell the truth, I find myself using it less since I switched from a closed, traditional system to a open, split tail system. I use it because I have an extra one and it is sometimes easier to take a wrap and choker off in the thinner top branches as it is a rope lanyard and more flexible than my steel core flipline. It's more of a holdover from the days when I used a closed climbing system and would use the alternate lanyard method to bypass limbs on the way up. The split tail pretty much eliminates the need for two lanyards on the way up but I still use the lanyard for that purpose, partly out of habit and partly because I can work the double locking snap faster than the triple locking biner on my climbing line. I don't use it as much anymore but it really comes in handy sometimes. I use it a lot when I am out on a limb and use it in conjunction with my flipline to hold me stationary to make a cut. Used in that manner it is a lot like double crotching with two climbing lines. Holds you right where you need to be to make a cut from a stable position. Some people wouldn't want to carry an extra lanyard but I learned that way and it doesn't bother me. You might find it helpful if you have an extra lanyard but I wouldn't rush out to buy one if you don't have it already.

Last edited:
I should also mention that this technique was also very handy back in the days when I did a lot of pine removals with spikes. I used to live in GA where I started out doing tree work and there is a lot of pines. Back then I climbed on a traditional closed system as I mentioned before. I would do a lot of removals where I would limb the tree on the way up, top it and chunk it down. The second lanyard came in handy back then because I could use it for a secondary tie in when cutting. However, These days I use my rope a lot more to get into the tree. I'll set a line in almost every tree I climb (even removals) unless I am limbing on the way up, topping and dropping. The fastest way I have found to get into the tree is to set a line and have my rope hand belay for me while I "free climb" up the tree. With a self tending climbing system you can tend your own slack on the way up. The VT makes that a dream.

Back