Independent We Stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't consider HD or any mega store local, I was talking local as in lil ole me up againist big HD. That guy left his Homelite at the shop, didn't even bother to take it with him. I set it out by the door, someone may want it, if not its dumpster bound...

Nobody considers them local. I was just making a funny...or so I thought.

It's a smart thing Stihl is doing for a number of reasons. As you point out, local dealers is how they operate, but they also are tapping into some pretty good PR.

You've been saying for a long time that Husky was making a mistake by selling in box stores, and the data are bearing that out. I think a part of this approach is Stihl rubbing Husqvarna's nose in it.

Ya know Stihl catches alittle slack for charging their dealers up to $1000.00 a year for advertising. Thing is they spend 50 million a year on advertising so for a grand you get 50 million worth of advertising, pretty good deal if you really think about it..

Thats like what..a few chains and some mix a month for national sales advirtising...I'ld consider that a bargain. I've run my own businesses for years you can't get much for less then $100 a month.

Nobody considers them local. I was just making a funny...or so I thought.

It's a smart thing Stihl is doing for a number of reasons. As you point out, local dealers is how they operate, but they also are tapping into some pretty good PR.

You've been saying for a long time that Husky was making a mistake by selling in box stores, and the data are bearing that out. I think a part of this approach is Stihl rubbing Husqvarna's nose in it.

Well one of the things going on now is the economy slump. These mega stores are pinching pennies bigtime and the help at these stores are getting younger, less informed but lower wages. Trying to get an informed answer from such salespeople is tuff. That sorta of thing pushes people to the local little dealer like me. Stihl seems to be adding the push with this new thing they got going and also pointing out the money stays local making it worth the extra cost...

I got into a scrap this past Saturday over buying local. Some cat brought me one of those 129.00 Homelites from HD and pester me to death to work on it. I said well let me ask you something first, why did you buy that thing, he goes because it was cheap. I go thats right and now do you know why it was cheap, he goes no, I go because no one will work on it including me. He goes so I guess your telling me I should have bought a Stihl. I go something like that. I took 400.00 out of his wallet and sent him on his way, BUY LOCAL BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did the right thing, sold the man a good saw and threw away his old trash at the same time. Can't beat that for service.:D

Checked it out with my zip....Only thing there is the local Stihl Dealer.....Monopoly/foul. :laugh: :givebeer:

Funny that Stihl is running this promo when they themselves try to drive thier smaller dealers out in favor of the gold line or whatever dealers, that pay the big promo fee, and direct Net sales only to the same.

It's cool of Stihl to do this though, Good on 'em for it.
But it's hypocritical as all hell at the same time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree to a certain extent, the problem is Stihl isn't sold through independently owned and operated stores. In my area there are two chains that sell Stihl, Admar Supply a contractor equipment supply firm, and Lakeland Equipment, the only John Dealers in Western NY.

Admar is owned by The Dimarco Company which is a Construction, Real Estate, Property Maintenance company with over a couple hundred employees. Admar Supply has 5 locations in Western Ny and is doing 50+ Million dollars in total sales a year. The company as a whole does 300$ revenue a year from all five sub-corperations.

Lakeland Equipment runs 11 locations through out western Ny. They do 75$ million dollars in sales and employee 125-150 people.

Doesn't exactly sound like the small independently owned businesses that Stihl, is talking about helping out and being buddy buddy with.

Yep.

Our small town small shop is competing with Wal-Mart, Tractor supply, Menards, and two of the biggest John Deere dealer chains (Head in thier ass stupid, and useless for saws) in the country.

Ya think Stihl would automaticly list his shop as the transaction point for on line buying, but no. Stihl lists the two Deere dealers 30 and 40 Miles away, because he didn't submit to the shakedown as it was more than he could afford at the time.

I reckon Stihl would rather lose sales to the box stores, or send customers way out of town for convenience.:dizzy:

Perception is everything in marketing though, and despite the truth, Stihl has the "Small and independant" image for at least a while.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back