Injury Prevention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the responses! and Robert, would i be able to climb srt with a blakes hitch split tail and foot locking, I wouldn't say im at the level to invest in all kinds of gadgets, I'd prefer to work with what i have and I usually ascend via body thrust. So would i be able to just tie my blakes hitch on the two ends the rope hanging from the limb I'm climbing?

In a double line system, you're hitch is only carrying 1/2 your weight, the other half being on the termination end biner. In an SRT system, all your weight would be on your hitch (in this case the Blakes). This will cause your Blakes (or any other hitch for that matter) to bind (lock) up tight and not be moveable. That is why people have developed the Singing Rope Wrench or Hitchhiker, because it adds friction into the system and takes weight off the hitch.

Its the same physics related to weight on your rigging points. If you were to hang a 50 pound branch off a rigging point, the weight on that rigging point is 50 pounds. If you were to put a pulley at that rigging point, tie a rope to the same 50 pound branch and have your groundie hold the rope, you are now putting 100 pounds on the rigging point (50 from the branch and 50 from your groundie holding the branch).

that's a good point point BC, thanks for the physics lesson. ascenders aren't that much anyway i'm sure it would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Back