Injury Prevention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarygary92

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just wanted to get some information regarding long term damage to your body, I got a new job and all i hear about is someones back, knees, neck and shoulder pains, and surgeries at least once a day. some guys are only in there 20's-30's, most of the old heads don't complain. And I don't wanna hear the typical macho man response telling me to find a new career or to suck it up and deal with it, I don't suffer any serious pains as of yet i'm just wondering if theres ways to perform this job without without long term severe damage.

Just take care of yourself, I started climbing at age 17 and climbed for 28 years before moving up. Other than some ugly scars and memories of some pain, I feel good. I think that since you do not hear all the time the older climbers feel good, you only here about the guys that are complaining or describing their pain,
makes it seem like all climbers will.
Jeff

Do you think there's and kind of technique for climbing ergonomically? and not putting alot of strain on your body?

IMO it's not the climbing (esp spurless) that puts a lot of strain on the bod, its the dealing with wood and debris, dragging brush and humping big rounds. Of course, spur climbing can be hard on the knees, its the working with big wood on the stem or humping a big saw in the tree that really strains you.

What one old timer (older than me, so he's really older than dirt) got was problems in his wrist from doing a lot of one handing a top handle saw.

I personally hate one handing a saw, but it's like a peer pressure thing "everyones doing it" god forbid i take 10 extra seconds to pull out my hand saw to finish a cut and toss and slow down production!

Good point Zale unfortunately thats not uncommon in this industry, and yeah being the new guy sucks.

IMO it's not the climbing (esp spurless) that puts a lot of strain on the bod, its the dealing with wood and debris, dragging brush and humping big rounds. Of course, spur climbing can be hard on the knees, its the working with big wood on the stem or humping a big saw in the tree that really strains you.

What one old timer (older than me, so he's really older than dirt) got was problems in his wrist from doing a lot of one handing a top handle saw.

sometimes my thighs ache!
Jeff :cool:

Lifting heavy weight with my back has done damage. Stay thin. The fatter I am the worse I feel. Stay active. Share the work load. The biggest risk for long term injury is getting messed up by working unsafe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hello All... First post here. Hopefully this will help some of you guys long term. There are actually a number of ways to decrease wear and tear on your body while in the tree, and many of these techniques will also increase productivity. First of all, think about your body position climbing in a ddrt system vertically up the tree. Your hands are far reaching and back is in an extreme curve while body thrusting. You are doing "power moves" and pulling yourself up the tree using a relatively small muscle group. Now, think about adding a foot ascender to your system. How dramatically does this decrease the curvature to your spine? Big time! You are also supplementing your "power move" with a larger muscle group... one leg. Now, think about going a step further... SRT! With this system you are almost parallel to your climbing rope, and using the system properly are able to primarily use your largest muscle group, both legs! You are also not required to do any "power moves" which seriously wear your body down. You can "short step" your way up your rope. So now that your back and core are safe, lets talk about your hands. Bigger is better! I'm talking about your rope... erm, by which I mean your climbing line. Using larger diameter ropes will allow you to use your hands for "power moves" properly. Our hands aren't designed to take an 11.7mm rope and make these types of huge powerful grabs. The ideal diameter is actually around 1.5" but you wont catch me climbing on that obviously! Smaller diameter rope has a diameter closer to what we would call a precision move... Think about how you use your screwdriver. So increase diameter to 13mm and use gloves! Not only do those give you increased grip but in effect make your rope a bit larger by adding that additional fabric into the mix. Hope this helps someone.

Bucket truck
Miniskid
Grappel truck will save thousands of calories. I believe you've only got so many revolutions in your shoulders knees hips back and wrists... whisky and pills just speed up the aging process

Thanks everyone for the responses! and Robert, would i be able to climb srt with a blakes hitch split tail and foot locking, I wouldn't say im at the level to invest in all kinds of gadgets, I'd prefer to work with what i have and I usually ascend via body thrust. So would i be able to just tie my blakes hitch on the two ends the rope hanging from the limb I'm climbing?

Back